shad's Mercedes 190E

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
This is it, my first car. :D

04_4234.jpg

It's a 1988 Mercedes 190E, with the 118hp 2.0l engine, five speed manual transmission and a smidge under 200k km on the clock.
I have been looking for a car that's a bit more interesting, because I technically really don't need one. So I figured, if I were to get one, it should be something I want. The choice quickly narrowed down to E30 Beemers, MX5s and the 190. I dismissed the E30 after a bit of searching, because finding a good example that wasn't molested turned out to be almost impossible. And all of the decent looking MX5s were too expensive for me, so I went for the 190. And with the second car I looked at (of three overall) I already found one that seemed to tick all the boxes. :D

04_9347.jpg

Only two previous owners, with the second one keeping the car for 18 years and having it serviced at a Mercedes dealer up until 160k, with repairs as needed after that. Overall it's very well kept, always stayed in a garage, only a few tiny scratches and one small dent. No visible crash repairs, resprays or rust, except for a small bit on the driver's door.
Mechanically it seems to be in similarily good condition - the engine starts up without effort and revs nicely, steering isn't loose and nothing sounds or feels wrong. Interior is clean and nice as well, only the front seats are hidden under seat covers and feel a bit worn.

04_9091.jpg

It comes with a bit of kit as well, including electric front windows, electric sunroof, central locking, rev counter, heated rear window, a Bosch alarm system and a vintage Panasonic CD changer. Oh, and a second set of wheels with Continental winter tires that should be good for one or two winters.

04_2983.jpg

I only picked it up yesterday from the seller, so I haven't had a lot of time to get to know it yet, but so far it's just great. :D

Please excuse the not-so-great phone pics, I'll have to see about taking a few proper fotos when I have a bit more time, the car's clean and the weather isn't as crappy.

And not to forget, the proof:
04_7750.jpg

Last edited:
Your suspension looks awfully high.

Is it Dog legged?... y0. :p

Nope, just a regular Grandpa issue five speed. So don't worry, I won't start to worship it. ;)

@Dan
Thanks dood! :p

Your suspension looks awfully high.

I agree it looks a bit high, but I think that's normal. Mine's an early '88/ late '87 model, and from the end of '88 on 190Es had a lowered suspension.

Last edited:
DOOD, nice car :D

Nice car DOOD! I'm feeling a slight pang of jealousy here, because I still miss my 190E. I hope you'll have as much fun driving yours as I had driving mine.

I agree it looks a bit high, but I think that's normal. Mine's an early '88/ late '87 model, and from the end of '88 on 190Es had a lowered suspension.

Yes, the suspension height is normal for a pre-MoPf (Modell Pflege, facelift) model (as can be deduced from the absence of the side-paneling).

Nice!

d00d, a friend of mine had a 190d that we called H?hnerschreck cause it was so slow, it was useless for anything but scaring chicken. This one seems to be a different kind of animal, congrats!

Looks like my choice of licence plate is really popular with you guys. :lol:

I hope you'll have as much fun driving yours as I had driving mine.

I'll do my best to enjoy it and take over the W201 torch. :D

This one seems to be a different kind of animal, congrats!

Thanks! It's just an ordinary 190, but around 120hp and a dry weight of not even 1200kg should indeed be good for a bit more than just scaring chickens. Disturbing some sheep in a field JC style perhaps... :unsure:

Thanks! It's just an ordinary 190, but around 120hp and a dry weight of not even 1200kg should indeed be good for a bit more than just scaring chickens. Disturbing some sheep in a field JC style perhaps... :unsure:

The Diesel's 75hp, combined with an engine characteristic that did not exactly encourage spirited driving made for a very, say, pensioner-friendly car. 45hp more will make a difference.

Oh, I agree completely. I think it'll be plenty enough, especially after doing most of my driving so far in my parent's 1.9l Golf 4 SDI.

I just put the winter wheels on, and sadly had to find out that the feared jack support rust has struck on the rear ones. I don't think it's too bad though, it just looks a bit nasty around the opening, but the actual supports are still sound enough to do their job.
On the upside, the front supports still look brand new.