shad's Mercedes 190E

I'll ask around for other mechanics etc., but I'm already thinking of doing it myself. But without somebody who has more experience to help me, especially with the rust, I'm not so sure... :(

As the great Bill O'Reilly once brilliantly put it... "Fuck it! We'll do it LIVE!"
I'll just try to do it with my brother (who knows less about this stuff than I do) on saturday, already ordered the parts and only have to pick them up.
I just hope the freezing temps we've got at the moment won't be a problem, but I think the sealant should still be useable.

Also, that rust pocket in the previous post has turned out to be full blown hole, luckily it's covered by a plastic bit on the outside. I already found somebody who'd help me weld it shut, but I think it's a bit of a tricky spot, so I'm not so sure if a DIY job would be so good. My garage told me that having it done by them would be somewhere around 180? (pi*Daumen Einsch?tzung :p) tops, which doesn't sound that bad for a proper fix.

With the help of my totally awesome brother I've finally been able to fix up the rear window.
But Jesus fucking Christ was it a pain to do. One of the most unpleasant things I've ever done. :|

We had to try two times to get the window back in, and after the first time I was so close to just calling it quits...

I'll still have to clean up properly and put the rear seats back in etc. tomorrow, because by the time we were done it was already dark outside - couldn't test if it's really sealed now, too. :|

I have a hose too, you know. However, if you could bring a bucket of daylight, that would actually be helpful. :tease:

Last edited:
Driver's side still let a bit through, but it looks like I managed to patch that up. I'll still keep an eye open for water in the trunk as soon as it starts to rain again. *paranoid*

So I just put the summer tires back on, but left the hubcaps off for now. And I have to say that it actually looks quite nice with the black steelies.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shad/2011/04/01/DSC01120.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shad/2011/04/01/DSC01119.jpg

For that I'd first need more $$$. ;)

In relation to what I've got it's already pretty expensive to run the Merc, so I don't want to put too much money into it atm.

img_5375p8yvykoi.jpg

:banana: 200000 :banana:

I'd say it's because that's the regular speed limit within citys in Europe, so it's visually highlighted on the speedo. But I'm not really sure.
FunFact: those yellow lines on the speedo are shift marks, btw. So first gear up to 50km/h max, 2nd up to 100, 3rd to 160, 4th above that. There's no shift point for 4th to 5th, because the five speed gearbox actually has the exact same gearing as the standard four speed, only with a low top gear added for cruising.

Speaking of the speedo, I was surprised to see how accurate it was today. It showed the exact same readout as my GPS, even at 150km/h.

Is the car any good at 150 km/h?

I did 207 with mine. Solid as a fucking house. Remember, these cars were built for Autobahn speeds. Pulling power isn't too bad either, until 180kph with the 2.0l engine.

Yeah, I even cruised at 170-180 for a bit without much difficulty... until somebody a lot slower pulling in front of me forced me to slow down, that is. :p
After that I settled down for 140-150 again, since it was much easier to maintain in that traffic.

A 1989 190E (in black) is the only Merc I have ever wanted, due to some fond memories of pushing one up to 200 kph on the autobahn when I was living in the Fatherland. It's the car that turned me into a speed freak. An '88 is close enough for the purpose, though. I'm quite jealous of you, Shad. Great purchase on all fronts.