News: Shanghai 2009: Roewe MG6 may bring Rover back to UK in big way

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Nevermind the sordid tale that led us to the point where a Chinese automaker debuts a new model for a storied British brand. Instead, just look at the Roewe MG6 and know that things seem to be working out. Based on the unassuming Roewe 550 sedan, which itself is based on a shortened version of the old Rover 75, the MG6 Turbo is a four-door fastback that will likely make its way to England as the first new model from the Chinese-owned automaker. The styling is reminiscent of the Lexus GS with an angular front end that highlights the big MG badge. Its sharp, attractive and more Euro-looking that in its Asian design roots might suggest.

While Rovers will never be called Rovers again thanks to SAIC failing to secure the naming rights when it purchased England's most famous failed automaker, the MG6 proves they aren't wasting the platforms.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/20/shanghai-2009-roewe-mg6-may-bring-rover-back-to-uk-in-big-way/

img_8731.jpg

img_8738.jpg

:|

The wheels are too small in relation to the side profile, and I can spot design lines from Volkswagen and BMW. Nevertheless, that actually looks half-decent.

If they make some use of the cool RWD 75 V8 that Rover made just before they died, I would have some interest. Otherwise meh.

Oh, and they need to make this. RWD. Big V8. The new P5B. Hell yes!
2004-Rover-75-Coupe-Concept-RA-Top-1024x768.jpg

It's not bad, but it really just is a rip off of a 5 series and a Golf. I fear Rover may be falling into the category for Chinese Car KIRFS.

Depends upon the price and the Safety rating - Chinese cars have a rep of being "Death traps" but get an NCAP 4+ and they may be in business! Dealer support may be an issue, it looks OK without being quite perfect!

The midsection of it reminds me of a Corolla, but it's not bad. The shapes within the headlights are kinda neat too.

But, as with all Chinese cars, how it looks after a crash is going to be what really makes a difference.