Share your recipes!

Emarline

Car(s)
2021 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Prompted by discussion in IRC, decided there should be a thread for FGers to share their family recipes! I'll start with my family chili (with beans, I know) recipe:

1-2 onions, diced
2-3lbs ground beef
2 (15oz) cans Manwich sauce
2 (15oz) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
2 (15oz) jars Salsa (I use mild, your choice heat level)
1 (15oz) can BBQ baked beans
1 (15oz) can regular baked beans
1 (15oz) can kidney beans
? cup BBQ sauce (any flavor)
2-3 TBS chili powder (or to taste)

Cook & drain onion & ground meat. Combine with all other ingredients. Cook for 2-3 hours on stovetop on low ? or on low for several hours in crock pot.

It makes a lot ? probably 6-7 quarts or so. I use either an 8qt stockpot, or have excess from the crockpot.

I'll start with my family chili (with beans, I know)

You haven't meet my family:
04Oye2J.jpg

My favorite dish to bring to picnic-style pot luck is "Bok Choy Salad." It has Bok Choy, Ramen Noodles. The Bok Choy stays crisp, but when you let it rest, the noodles absorb the dressing and soften up. It's something you make the day before. It's a little sweet for some, but...mmm..

Bok Choy Salad:
2 large heads of Bok Choy, white part only
3 green onions
1/2 cup butter
3 4oz. packages of instant Ramen Noodles, broken into pieces. (Do not use seasoning packet)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 to 1 cup sugar (to taste)
1/4 cup rice or white vineager
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup vegetable oil

Chop bok choy and onions; place in a large bowl

In a skillet, melt butter. Add broken noopdles, sesame seeds and almonds. Stir until browned, over low to medium heat. Allow to cool, and combine with bok choy and onions.

In a bowl in which you can whisk, or in a container with a lid to shake, combine oil with sugar vinegar and soy sauce. Toss with Bok Choy mixture.

Not to be eaten "fresh". Allow at least 12 hours in refrigerator for ramen to soften.

My favorite desert, Poppy Seed Torte, which nobody in my family has braved since my grandmother has passed away. She used to grow every poppy seed she used. Jars and jars in her freezer.

Poppy Seed Torte:
Crust:
1/2lb graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
Combine. Reserve 1 cup to use as topping, and put the remaining in a 9x13 pan.

Filling:
3 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup poppy seed
Combine and cook over a double boiler until thick, stirring very frequently. Cool. Pour into crust.

beat 4 egg white until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar. Spread over filling, and sprinkle with remaining crumbs.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350F

Poppyseed-Refrigerator-Torte-450.jpg

Last edited:
I'll start off with the recipe for my super-easy tomato and cream soup...

Ingredients
1 jar concentrated beef stock (should yield 1l of soup base)
3 cans peeled tomatoes
250g creme fraiche
250g of small meatballs
75g of pasta
1 shallot or small onion
1 clove of garlic
fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)
tomato puree

Add the beef stock to a large pan with 1/2 of the water needed, add the sliced shallot, the garlic and the herbs. Bring this to a low boil and keep it there for at least half an hour. Remove the wooden bits of the herbs and put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Use a sieve to strain out the seeds. Add the creme fraiche and the tomato puree to the soup (I use a hand blender to mix it all in) and salt, pepper and paprika to taste. Bring back to a low boil, add the pasta and meatballs and boil while stirring for at least 8 minutes, more if the pasta needs more cooking time.

Serve with baguette and butter, should feed 3-4 adults.

Last edited:
This is a recipe I've made quite often, it's gotten pretty popular among the people I've made it for :)

It's basically pork tenderloin in a creme/creme cheese sauce.

1 Pork tenderloin (500-750g)
200g bacon
250g button mushrooms
1-2 apples
1-2 onions
0,5l creme
Half a packet of a creme cheese

I'm not sure if the creme cheese translates to other places, the one I use is this one:

Sm

It's basically a creme cheese with some herbs, I'm guessing something similar of another brand will work just as well.

The tenderloin is cut into 2cm thick slices, quickly browned on a pan, and placed in an ovenproof dish.

The button mushrooms, bacon, onions and (peeled) apples are cut into appropriate pieces, and cooked for a bit in a pan. The creme and creme cheese is then added to then pan, heat it up, season it, and then pour it over the pork tenderloin.

Cook it in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for around 25 minutes.

Served with rice, and depending on the amount of meat, serves 2-3 people :)

Prompted by discussion in IRC, decided there should be a thread for FGers to share their family recipes! I'll start with my family chili (with beans, I know) recipe:

1-2 onions, diced
2-3lbs ground beef
2 (15oz) cans Manwich sauce
2 (15oz) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
2 (15oz) jars Salsa (I use mild, your choice heat level)
1 (15oz) can BBQ baked beans
1 (15oz) can regular baked beans
1 (15oz) can kidney beans
? cup BBQ sauce (any flavor)
2-3 TBS chili powder (or to taste)

Cook & drain onion & ground meat. Combine with all other ingredients. Cook for 2-3 hours on stovetop on low ? or on low for several hours in crock pot.

It makes a lot ? probably 6-7 quarts or so. I use either an 8qt stockpot, or have excess from the crockpot.

Good idea!

Too bad I can't find half of those ingredients...the blueberry banana bread recipe you posted was great, by the way.

Here's our relatively foolproof cheesecake recipe (for best results, use a well-greased springform pan, obviously).

Ingredients
? Crust:
? 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
? 1/4 cup sugar
? 2 tablespoons butter, melted
? 2 teaspoons water
? Cooking spray
? Filling:
? 3 (8-ounce) blocks cream cheese, softened
? 2 (8-ounce) blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
? 1 cup sugar
? 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
? 1/4 teaspoon salt
? 1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
? 4 large eggs
? 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
? 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400?.

To prepare crust, combine first 3 ingredients, tossing with a fork. Add 2 teaspoons water; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Gently press mixture into bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400? for 5 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

Reduce oven temperature to 325?.

To prepare filling, beat cheeses with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add to cheese mixture; beat well. Add sour cream; beat well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; stir seeds into cheese mixture.

Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan; bake at 325? for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cheesecake center barely moves when pan is touched. Remove cheesecake from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

:thumbsup:

Cornbread is a staple here in the south and so years ago I made up this recipe as a quick and easy go to dish for Thanksgiving, BBQs and potluck. It is super easy, although some of the ingredients may not be available internationally. Everyone loves it and me for always sharing the recipe. Enjoy!

2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix (other brands do not work the way Jiffy does, trust me)
4 eggs
1 or 2 cans cream-style corn (one makes it firmer, two and it is more like corn pudding. You decide)
6 oz can chopped green chiles
6 oz jar pimentos (chopped, preserved red peppers)
8 oz grated cheddar cheese (I like sharp white but really any kind works fine)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Dump all ingredients into a large bowl in any order you like, it really does not matter at all. Do not bother draining chiles or pimentos, just toss it all in. Mix until everything is wet but do not try to smooth it out. It is a bit like making brownies, over-mixing is wrong. Pour into a lightly oiled 9x13 pan (pyrex, metal bake pan or aluminum, does not matter). Cook at 350F for as long as it takes to be solid. This is the one variable I have not been able to simplify as all ovens bake differently. Check it after 30 minutes and each five minutes after until you know how yours works best. If you use the second can of corn the top and bottom will be firm but the middle will be a bit soft, cuz it's pudding.

If you wanted to make cornbread abroad couldn't you just use polenta to replace the cornmeal?

This recipe would probably be very doable for most people internationally.

If you wanted to make cornbread abroad couldn't you just use polenta to replace the cornmeal?

This recipe would probably be very doable for most people internationally.

The dry ingredients in that Alton Brown recipe is a really good approximation of Jiffy cornbread. The difference between it and many pre-mixed packages here in the states is the sweetness and degree of leavening, which is key to this recipe. I will try it and give my totally unbiased opinion soon, lol.

As for polenta, I am not sure of the differences between it and cornmeal. I have heard polenta is closely related to grits, which is made from hominy and therefore has gone through a process which makes it different from dried corn. The flour used for arepas is similar. If polenta has as well it make cook differently than the simple ground dried corn used in American cornbread. It could also be the degree the corn is ground. I believe American cornmeal is medium, opposed to course or fine.

While I do like to use fresh ingredients in my day to day cooking, having a good cheat recipe is like a great party trick. I can also tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue, so I'm covered forever.

My recipes tend to be fairly inexact, but Pot au feu is really simple and tasty even if you don't follow the text to the letter. This one from Anthony Bourdain is pretty good if you must though.

bring a couple pounds of beef shortribs and shank to a boil, set aside and clean the pot, fill again with water, then throw in: Bouquet garni, and a bit of celery, carrots, onion, and potato. let it simmer for a couple hours and feel the world melt away.

Because Redliner asked, the recipes to the 2 quiches/tarts I made monday:

Quiche Lorradunaphel:
  • 200g smoked bacon
  • 1 leek
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g cream
  • 150g grated Emmental cheese
  • puff pastry
Cut the bacon and leek into thin strips. Heat a skillet or saucepan over medium heat, add the bacon to it, and gently cook until the bottom of the pan is covered in a thin layer of bacon grease. Add the leek and thyme leaves to the pan, and gently cook until the leek is soft. meanwhile, line a quiche or pie tray with the pastry. Add the bacon and leek mix to the lined tray. Cover with the grated Emmental. Mix the eggs with the cream and season with ground black pepper (your bacon should be salty enough to not need salt here), and pour over the quiche. Bake in a 200C oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and set.

Spinach tart:
  • 400g of frozen spinach
  • 250g ricotta
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g strips of ham or smoked chicken breast
  • puff pastry
Thaw the spinach, put into a sieve and push as much moisture out of it as you can with the back of a spoon. In a bowl, mix the spinach with the ricotta and eggs, season with salt and pepper. Line a quiche tray with puff pastry, and spread the ham or chicken strips over it. Cover with the spinach mix. Bake in a 200C oven for 30-35 minutes until set.

I found this recipe online last night and tried it out. Fantastic.

Pork chops with zucchini and tomatoes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
4 pork chops, ~ 3/4" thick
1/2 cup uncooked rice
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
2 cups thin sliced zucchini or summer squash (I used both)
1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Mix salts, chili powder, and pepper. Brown pork chips in skillet, seasoning with about 1 tsp. of seasoning mix.
Drain any fat. Add rice, tomatoes, green peppers, onion, olives and sugar. Arrange sliced zucchini around edge of skillet and sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture. Cover and cook for 45 to 55 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until pork is cooked through. Top pork with cheese and cover, cooking until cheese is melted.

It was a little salty for my taste so next time I make it, I'm going to half the salt and double the pepper.

Lazy fettucine with broccoli.

Serves 4
500g fettucine or other pasta
500g of broccoli, cut into small stalks
300g of smoked chicken breast
250g of creme fraiche
200g of Emmental cheese, grated

Boil the pasta in a large pan with water, and add the broccoli for the last 5 minutes.
In a small saucepan gently heat the creme fraiche and dissolve the grated cheese in it, season with salt and pepper.
Drain the pasta and broccoli, and keep about 200cc of the water.
Mix the pasta, broccoli, chicken and sauce, and add enough of the water to make it a saucy mess.

Enjoy.

My take on Pico de Gallo. Really easy to make.

1 Red bell pepper
1 Yellow bell pepper
1 Orange bell pepper
2 Jalapeno pepper
2 Small tomato
1/2 Red sweet onion
1/2 Lime
3 Sprigs cilantro
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper powder

Dice the peppers, tomato and onion. Chop cilantro. Mix in bowl. Squeeze lime into bowl. Add a dash of garlic power and Cayenne pepper powder. Best served with lime chips.

Nothing special, but adds some color to the mix and in my opinion is better than the normal pico.

J4zGP78.jpg

nC1y2xh.jpg

8pdj0Cn.jpg

I call it Pico de Russo.

Last edited:
My stroke of brilliance today:

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich...but with toasted Eggo frozen waffles. The waffles' pockets hold the jam and PB in place, so you don't get fruit "squish-out". I think the Buttermilk variety works better than the Homestyle ones.

Just made some kickass Carne Asada from whatever I had around the kitchen. Instead of a photo, I will try to be useful and post the recipe (all measurements are approximate due to me not measuring in the first place). I did this with probably 3-4# of steak so we would have leftovers, scale accordingly

Thinly sliced carne asada

Marinade:
1 cup olive oil
1/2 small bottle Worcestershire sauce
1/2 large yellow onion, rough chopped
4-6 cloves crushed or diced garlic
1 juiced lime (include rind and meat)
6 finely chopped Thai red peppers
Cayenne Pepper
Chili powder
Salt
Tapatio
Chipotle Tabasco
Cholula
Orange Juice (whatever it takes to cover it at this point)

Combine in a large zip-top bag and squeeze out all the air. Store in the fridge for 4+ hours. You can squish it all around periodically to ensure even coverage.

Remove meat from marinade, cook flat on a hot cast iron just long enough to have the surface brown. Let meat rest before slicing into strips against the grain or cube

Lguc3N1.jpg

MRBbk9z.jpg

Last edited:
Damn...now I am hungry. And it's not even 9 AM.