TV: Sherlock (BBC)

TechZ

Captain Internet
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Audi TT '08 (Sold) S8 '02 (Sold)
Watched the first ep of this show; its got a LOT of promise.

Character choice, fantastic;
location, fantastic;
the gadgets (its based in 2010), very good!

I also quite like how their presentation. Hope its given a few seasons and viewers tune in.

Just finished it as well. Really enjoyed it, Martin Freeman is brilliant as always. I had my concerns about the guy who played Holmes since I thought Downey Jr. would be a tough act to follow, but he actually manages it and kept growing and growing on me throughout the episode.

This was a brill show! I just stumbled upon the torrent and now I have another cool show (that we're probably not getting down here in NZ) to download, I'm hoping it will be another Stephen Moffat masterpiece, I will be watching next week.

Last edited:
Knowing nothing about the show, I first thought of a spin-off of the recent movie (which was ok, but rather forgettable imho).
There's very few cop/detective shows I can stand for any extended amount of time, the ones I do like usually don't take themselves seriously like The Good Guys or Psych or at least have great chemistry between the main characters like NCIS.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this show and will keep watching. A great cast and so far good writing.

really enjoyed the first episode that aired on sunday. wasn't sure about it at first but after the first few minutes i was completely sold on the show. Amazingly the show is done by Mark Gatiss (one of the League of Gentlemen) and Stephen Moffat (current show-runner of Doctor Who) and it really comes off well. there were a few moments where it reminded me of the Downey Jr movie (which i enjoyed a lot, simple but fun film). I'm more interested in seeing where the series goes from here. They've hit the ground running and hopefully the next 2 episodes will prove that this isn't a one show wonder.
the only thing i wasn't sure about was the Moriarty concept, i would have preferred it if they didn't introduce that concept until later on and give the show a chance to flex its muscle before calling in the arch enemy.

Overall I liked the first episode quite a bit. The only thing that bothered me is that the guy playing Holmes looks like his 20 years old (probably isn't though). I would have hoped for someone older. The know-how would be much more believable...

This actually bugged me quite a bit, but hopefully I'll get over it after a few episodes. The show certainly seems good enough for me to keep viewing it.

This show is fantastic! I hope they commission a second series, it's sad that there's only going to be 3 episodes.

This show is fantastic! I hope they commission a second series, it's sad that there's only going to be 3 episodes.

Supposedly the 2nd series will be late 2011, as Moffat needs to fit it around making Dr. Who.
I didn't really think Mycroft fitted in with the books but the rest was fantastic.

Frankly this was absolutely brilliant. I haven't read the books, and don't plan on doing so, but certainly fitting the character into modern life has worked perfectly. Can't wait for the last episode, and certainly not for the next series. Lets hope they have more than 3 episodes next time around. :)

I agree, the first two episodes were really good. I just don't understand anything when Sherlock babbles away his thoughts faster than a Spanish football commentator.

Never watch Sherlock with a 7-year old. Not only is it not a good idea for a 7 year old to watch Sherlock anyways, they keep asking questions and you're too busy trying to answer them to follow the plot.

Last edited:
I agree, the first two episodes were really good. I just don't understand anything when Sherlock babbles away his thoughts faster than a Spanish football commentator.

I had to turn the volume up quite a bit too - in the first ep I was like he what the what? :D

^^^ Yeah that is amusing. I guess its easier for us as we can actually technically understand everything he's saying (mind will take in first language easier) - whether it makes any sense is another matter.

Also - about the first episode (I watched Ep 2 first :p) I felt good when I got that it was the taxi drivers while they were in the restaurant (before they were staring at the parked taxi - clearly the Directors had worked it all out as every vehicle that drove past was a black cab), then realised that I was being stupid as it was planted that the audience were to get it as it would make them feel more intelligent than Sherlock (oh the amusement) :p.

Well, that pretty much confirms a new series then.

I certainly hope so, and certainly after the success this first outing has had they will do a second series, but it hasn't been confirmed or started etc yet.

As for the ending
My dad piped up that it was a reference to one of the books (as he's read them all :p). After he looked it up he gave me the link: LINKY tldr; both Sherlock and Moriarty are supposedly dead, though it hasn't been seen. Conon Doyle was supposed to (and did) stop writing them after this, leaving this as the cliffhanger ending to Holmes' story - however after an outcry from readers he did resume writing.
However, as you say - the BBC would be stupid to give up the chance of a new series.

Last edited:
I watched eps 1 and 2 last week and loved it. Just finished downloading ep3 and will watch it tonight.

Updated Sherlock 'will be back'

The BBC's modern update of Sherlock Holmes will return following the end of its initial three-episode run, its producers have confirmed.
"Steven and Mark are very busy - Steven is obviously doing Doctor Who as well - so it's just when we're going to do them," said Vertue.
Moffat, her husband, also confirmed that any future instalments would remain 90 minutes long.
Sauce

It certainly didn't take them long to confirm it then :) And good to hear the episodes will stay 90 minutes long - it just gives them so much more to play with.