Shift knobs

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
While the skull has some charm, I'd like to change the knob on my shifter to something else.

I do like Moss's over priced MG ones, but I am assuming they won't fit. What can I use to make the knob fit?

I also wouldn't mind using a decent RX7 knob, but I haven't had much luck (I've only found tacky ones in the U.K. and Oz).

Do you have any idea what the thread size and pitch is? That will tell us what you can use.

Also, many of the cheaper aftermarket ones use an unthreaded plastic insert that uses the shift lever threads as a tap to make threads.

or is it installed with set screws?

The car is still awaiting engine related crap at the moment so I don't have it on me. It has an '80s RX-7 shifter for what that is worth.

That's what I would like to do.

BAC-068.jpg

And I am pretty sure they won't match up. English vs metric. If there is something I can use to change the threading or glue it in that would suffice.

Last edited:
If there is something I can use to change the threading or glue it in that would suffice.

Tap and Die set should fix that up. If not, just drill out the threads and add in a set screw on the back side.

I'll try using a Tap and Die set. Looks like it should do it.

I know of more than a few peeps that have put bar taps on their shifters. It is a pretty standard thread(at least older US cars), but you should be able to find whatever you need at your local hardware store.

(and yes they were all alcoholics)

The wooden ones will look much better. You'll be able to tap out the wood to make it fit if the hole in the knob is smaller than the shaft, but if it's bigger you might need to get some styrene or wooden dowel, use a die on that to screw it into the knob glue it. Then tap that out and shove it on the end of the stick. Sorted.

Sadly no as I have a column shift auto and the end of the thingy does not screw off... plus even if it did I wouldn't put one on because someone would just smash the window one day and gank it. Also, I like to be the only classless, vulgar thing in my car.:p

They used to sell them at The Brickworks Markets and when I was twelve I wanted one so bad.

You could always make a necklace out of them. Or keep them around to throw randomly at passers by.

Try and find a solid aluminium ball, drill a hole in it, tap it, and screw it on.

On a hot day the aluminum would be hot and on a cold day it would be cold.

On a hot day the aluminum would be hot and on a cold day it would be cold.

Having a big chromed solid metal handle on the shifter in my Mustang, I can confirm this. If it got down in the 30's the night before, that handle stays 30-something degrees for half the day, and vice-versa.