• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Shock! Mosley has a good idea

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
I'm in shock, this is actually a great idea - and very in keeping with what F1 is meant to be all about (though of course it goes against Max's cost-cutting crusade)

Mosley comes up with radical engine plan

16 February 2006

It is no secret that Max Mosley, FIA President, is a big fan of shaken up the rules in Formula One. This time he came up with a radical new engine plan. Although this year we'll see V8 engines for the first time, Mosley now came up with the idea to allow every sort of engine in F1, but give teams a maximum amount of fuel to use per race.

"All kinds of engines will be allowed to use," Mosley told Gazzetta dello Sport. "But each car will have the same amount of fuel that it may use. So the engine rule is based on the consumption of the engine. The winner of the race is the one that uses his fuel to the maximum."

Link

that would be the end of F1 i think

if they can use any sort of engine, they'll probably come up with another design than piston driven engine, so they wouldn't lead to improvement on engines in cars, so there would be no excuse for the excessive costs no more

^so you think they will start using wankels? Isen't that the only real alternative to pistons atm?
I think the proposed rules would leed to great inbalance between the cars, because the teams with big research budgets would clearly benefit the most from this shitty rule.

For sure, the cost side is the problem, but I can't help but think this sort of thing is what F1 should be all about.

M3lover said:
^so you think they will start using wankels? Isen't that the only real alternative to pistons atm?

no, even better designs, which might not be suitable for a people carrier at all

I like the idea, it is indeed what the sport is all about, innovation and cutting edge technology (with possible real life applications).

But the reality would be that costs would skyrocket and only big teams would ever be able to succeed anymore

mmap said:
But the reality would be that costs would skyrocket and only big teams would ever be able to succeed anymore

Sadly true - as much as I love the idea the cost is the problem. A little while back someone proposed the idea of setting a maximum limit for the amount of downforce a car could generate, so the designers would be chasing reduced drag.

Apparently (according to an article in F1 Racing) it costs a lot more to reduce drag and the payoff is a lot smaller, so those teams that have effectively unlimited budgets can spend as much as they like, but the gains they will make will be smaller than if they spent that same money chasing downforce. End result would be smaller teams would be a lot closer to the big guys.

They could have a spending limit, but I doubt if the big teams would agree. and since when has a small team won?

Kebab gud said:
that just means that toyota will win :p (it opens up to hybrids..)

and wankel engines use more fuel then piston engines..

that wouldn't work... Hydrids are basically the same as normal PIston engine cars when driven at the limit

what happend to F1 being the most technically advanced cars in the entire world? all these budget rules and stupidness is going to ruin what F1 was in the beginning. A test between the best drivers and the best cars in the world.

I think it?s great.
Formula 1 should be about the pinnacle of technology. The link to road cars was lost long ago, so why even bother trying to relate?
Let them invent and creat new things, that way it would REALLY be a "lab" for car technology.

How about this to make it fair? They have to use production based V8's.

jayhawk said:
but since when was racing truely "fair"?

whatever rules they make, someone is going to find an advantage...and that someone is going to be the winning team ;)

jayhawk said:

then they'll just do like ferrari did with the maserati MC12s. make 20 and it's production based as well :roll:

Kebab gud said:
F1 cant use production based engines.. it whould be to lame..

In the US, some Indy cars were using a 4 liter V8 from Oldmobile...and winning!

Engine was from the Oldsmobile Aurora.