Shooting drag races this weekend, any tips? (Cosworth, Alok? ;)

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
^ Hehe, the races here would never go that late. They're scheduled for 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, but I don't think they'd really want to go past 7:00 pm or so.

Must be pretty cool to shoot those top-fuel dragsters at night with flames spitting out of the pipes (assuming someone with 10+ years experience is shooting those)

Last edited:

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Ah, OK. Same idea here. Bracket racing from Civics vs. Cavaliers (thankfully, not too many of those :p) to modified road cars to full-on dragsters.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Thanks :) And to think I almost left my ND grad at home! :eek:

I was hoping to get one with both the cars smoking, but it never happened, and tomorrow's forecast calls for mostly clear skies.

Last edited:

sifu

Car(s)
-11 BMW F11 528i Sport
pp suits the stormy looking weather very well...

ALXBWSCREW

Car(s)
Fiat Barchetta, Alfa Romeo 156, Opel Zafira
You hold great photographic talent in those hands epp_b!

Ramseus

Have you been high today?
No way. The burnout shot from the rear would just be a so-so burnout shot if it was level, but it's super cool crooked.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Thanks, Ramseus. Though, by my own admittance, I have a bit of an addiction to putting weird angles on things, which gets annoying after a little while.

How 'bout some moar spam?

A "straight" one for Paddy :p

Pardon that lack of sharpness in the car, I liked this photo too much to trash it:

My favourite: :heart:

This guy was such a character, it was embarrassingly easy to catch him in fantastic poses and expressions :lol:

I kind of... eh, forgot to get a whole bunch of launches (I got some, though). I was too busy trying to be more artsy. Unless I'm missing something, there aren't many angles at which you can capture launches in an interesting way, and even if you do manage to find that rarely-existing spot, it's extremely difficult to capture the movement without the boring "frozen motion" effect.

Last edited:

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
A few more...

My "how did you not get killed doing this?!" shot:

"Whaddaya mean I gotta do that run again?!"
(there were some technical issues with the timing equipment)

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
^ So I guess it's not the worst, then :p

You seem to know a lot about drags. Do you participate as a competitor?

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Nope, been around drag racing all my life. First as pit crew for my dad, handed out ET slips as a kid for extra money, then as photographer, then as a journalist/graphic artist for a drag racing newspaper, ran the timing system at a track in Rogersville, MO, then I worked as a tech for a timing system company (Accutime) and for the last 10 years I've been a track manager for a small dragstrip in SW Missouri. Also for the last few years I've also been an official/announcer for a traveling race series (CDRA). I've done every job at a dragstrip somewhere at sometime.