Shopping for headlight bulbs

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
The old saying goes that - a bulb is a bulb, the only difference is wattage. Is this still true?

In other words - does the brand name matter? I see that the most popular choices are the Sylvania's Silvestar (Ultra, XTRAVISION etc...).

But does it really matter? What would you guys recommend?

(I noticed on Amazon, they have Hella bulbs for off-road use only 80 Watts. Woah! Would the cops be able to tell the difference, I mean it's just 15 Watts more than regular)

The problem with using more wattage bulbs is overloading your existing wiring. You could easily build a relay harness, or buy one even. You will get brighter lights that way and save from burning up your wires. Another problem could be melting your headlight housings, but that isn't common unless they're cheap.

As far as legality, if you're not blinding on coming drivers, I say higher wattage is fine. Cops usually won't hassle you, unless they're blue.

Brand, when the silverstars first came out I read the color looked great, but the reflectivity on the road was poor. I haven't read up on it lately. There are plenty of cheap high wattage bulbs out there, but the issue is quality control, they may work for a while but often times they burn out. More wattage = more heat = less lifetime. I've bought plenty of cheap brand bulbs, but one of them seemed to only last a year. Hella brand would be #1 in my opinion, then I'd probably get a sylvania brand.

-Robert

Other problem is that higher watt bulbs can melt housings.

I hadn't thought of the wiring...

Well I just found these on eBay. I have to say - they do look suspicious, as to whether they really are Hella's. I looked at the rep of the store and people seem to be quite happy, and they are selling other Hella stuff as well.
Hella 9006 and 9005 kit

I hadn't thought of the wiring...

Well I just found these on eBay. I have to say - they do look suspicious, as to whether they really are Hella's. I looked at the rep of the store and people seem to be quite happy, and they are selling other Hella stuff as well.
Hella 9006 and 9005 kit

Those aren't going to do anything but produce more glare until you fix the real problem - your cloudy headlight lenses.

Those aren't going to do anything but produce more glare until you fix the real problem - your cloudy headlight lenses.

I actually don't have complaints about the light output. It's the color. I've really started to hate how yellow and dull mine is. I need bulbs that will be closer to white.

The yellow is also partially the fault of your cloudy lenses.

Yes, last year I fixed the problem temporarily by cleaning the lenses and readjusting the bulbs. I thought about adding driving/fog lights, but I borrowed a set from a friend to see what it would do - it wasn't a great improvement. I decided to stick with what I have. Now I'm just looking for a different color bulbs (whiter).

What do you think the color of the light will be when you put white light through a yellowed lens? :p

Yes, last year I fixed the problem temporarily by cleaning the lenses and readjusting the bulbs. I thought about adding driving/fog lights, but I borrowed a set from a friend to see what it would do - it wasn't a great improvement. I decided to stick with what I have. Now I'm just looking for a different color bulbs (whiter).

Are your lenses clouded now?? You can permanently fix them by wetsanding and buffing with plastic polish. Or those headlight restoration kits, sold nearly everywhere that has basic automotive products.

-Robert

I'd work with the existing lenses. HighVoltage can spend that money on plugging up leaks. :p

HeadlampLucasH4a.JPG

:whistle:

I'd work with the existing lenses. HighVoltage can spend that money on plugging up leaks. :p

Hey, hey, hey...nothing is leaking at the moment :p

(Seriously though, the radiator doesn't leak anymore, the heater core is fixed, and my old oil leak hasn't sprung in the past 6 months. Everything is fine and dandy. )

Er, well I have Silvania Silverstars because my car has an issue with not projecting light far enough. I had my dad adjust the headlights as high as they could go, and it's still too low (car headlight placement fail).

They are quite nice and bright, I think (I need to actually clean my headlight covers during winter break, they are filthy). They seem brighter than some types of headlights I've seen, but I don't think you wouldn't be bad with another brand that are alright. (Though, my Dad complains about how dull his headlights are that he is stuck with on his '95 Camaro.) They have been the brightest and best we have had in the car so far though (and we've tried many, but I need to try those new ultras now I think).

As for the other things, I'm not sure. I just wanted to say something about the Silverstars because I happen to have them. I have used them somewhat and they are still working. I've heard that they burn out much faster than other lights and to that mine have still worked (I don't drive at night much for obvious reasons).