Should I buy an iPod Touch?

Should I buy an iPod Touch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
Now that I have a job and I actually make (some) money, I wanted to treat myself to something and I am thinking about buying an iPod Touch 8GB now. I know that it cannot be jailbroken yet, but Future Shop is now selling it for $240 and it comes with a Kensington FM transmitter (which is something that I've always wanted to buy). Should I take the plunge now, or should I wait for something better? I had a chance to play with my friend's iPhone and I absolutely loved the simplicity and quality of it. It may be a bit pricy, but this is definitely one iPod that I wouldn't mind owning. Some other suggestions are welcome. I will mostly be using it for:

(It is listed from most important to least important)

1. Web Browsing, Youtubbing and Music (can't decide which is more important)
2. Video
3. Gaming
4. Haxing (Obviously when it can be jailbroken)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10110701&catid=25653

Last edited:
I'd wait it out until closer to Christmas. Everything will drop by December. :yes:

Buy iy, according to apple they don't plan on drastically reducing the prices but still wait till Christmas time!

If you really want one, wait till black friday (is that only an american thing?). I dont care much for toys, I just want to listen to music so I bought a sandisk sansa for like $35 on black friday last year. Its only a gig though, but this year they are selling 8gb memory cards for like $20 :D

Now that I have a job and I actually make (some) money, I wanted to treat myself to something and I am thinking about buying an iPod Touch 8GB now. I know that it cannot be jailbroken yet, but Future Shop is now selling it for $240 and it comes with a Kensington FM transmitter (which is something that I've always wanted to buy). Should I take the plunge now, or should I wait for something better? I had a chance to play with my friend's iPhone and I absolutely loved the simplicity and quality of it. It may be a bit pricy, but this is definitely one iPod that I wouldn't mind owning. Some other suggestions are welcome. I will mostly be using it for:

(It is listed from most important to least important)

1. Web Browsing, Youtubbing and Music (can't decide which is more important)
2. Video
3. Gaming

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10110701&catid=25653

And why didn't i spot this deal in the flyer -_-"

I'm thinking of buying one too but i'm going to wait for prices to drop a bit :)

Can't believe London Drugs sells them for $250 O.O

The thing is, now they're basically giving a free Kensington FM Transmitter, which itself is worth quite a few bucks. I heard that Apple doesn't plan on lowering their prices anytime soon or do any discounts, so yah.

get one
its innovative and revolutionary
not just the hardware but the software
other mp3 players, or even other devices arent in the same league
ive got a 32gb one, use it all the time as an organizer, mp3 player, entertainment device and for the internet when im not home, and there are so many more things you can do with it that you dont know until you get it

so yeah
and i dont think they'll reduce the prices any time soon

and it can be jailbroken quite easily. there are programs that do it all over the net

I'd like to have too, so I say get it :)

I love my iPod Touch to death. It's amazing.

Apple don't really do discounts or post-Christmas sales. They've got pretty strict agreements with the stores that sell their stuff (when a new iPod range comes out, the old range is immediately pulled - no sales or anything) but they do drop the prices after a while.

I think it really is a sexy piece of kit - I played with a mates and it's just so intuitive and awesome to use/play with. Personally the only thing stopping me at the moment is the space - I know that once my current iPod dies the Touch will probably be carrying 16-32gb. That won't be for a generation or two though.

I think if 8 covers your needs, you should go for it. You've got other options other there (the Zen and the Zune, plus a couple more that slip my mind) but I don't think they work as well as a complete package (music, video, etc) or have the kind of 3rd party application options that the Touch currently has.

/\/\ uhhh dude... ipod touches are already sold in 8, 16 and 32 gig configurations

... 16 is probably best value, really you cant store much on an 8, but if you have the cash a 32 would obviously be the best.

@OP
trust me, you wont regret it, you can also get really good games, that cost money from the Itunes store for free if its hcked. ive got one and never looked back since. unlike the other ipods they are commited to this one, always upgrading firmwares and solving issues.

they are slick and are packed with stuff to do when your not listening to music. theyhave wifi, you can even browse the forums from it any time!

Hows the battery life? The site claims 36 hours for music, and 6 hours for video, but I have a hard time believing that it has a battery life than a Creative Zen (with a smaller screen and no Wifi)

/\/\ uhhh dude... ipod touches are already sold in 8, 16 and 32 gig configurations

... 16 is probably best value, really you cant store much on an 8, but if you have the cash a 32 would obviously be the best.

I stand corrected sir! :D

Question from someone else who is thinking of buying one: With an iPod Touch, can you basically do everything you can do with an iPhone? (Besides making calls of course)

Actually with a little teaking and a headset you can make calls with the iPod Touch.

Lots of my friends have them, I love to play with the apps. My favourite game by far is Cube Runner - it fucking rules and my high score is all but unbeatable, srsly.

Question from someone else who is thinking of buying one: With an iPod Touch, can you basically do everything you can do with an iPhone? (Besides making calls of course)

Or take photos.

Actually with a little teaking and a headset you can make calls with the iPod Touch.

Lots of my friends have them, I love to play with the apps. My favourite game by far is Cube Runner - it fucking rules and my high score is all but unbeatable, srsly.

I saw on the news today that some random guy has made $250,000 over the last 2 months for making an iPhone/iPod game. I guess Apple will give you 70% of the revenue from the sale of the game. Wish I knew how to make one :D

I'm one of those guys who just doesn't see the point of the Touch, so I'd say get a regular MP3 player/video player and be done with it.

you can put the money you save to something useful, like fuel for your car :p

First of all i say: If you have the money then buy it!

Second thing: I would not jailbreak it. I had my Touch jailbroken before i bought the 2.1 software with appstore. The installer (installer is the place were you get apps when you have jailbroken it) Is very unstable. I had several weird problems with it. + one of my friends tried to jailbreak it too and he allmost broke the ipod in the jailbreaking proces (When you jailbreak the ipod or iphone the warranty will disapperar).

Btw: I would buy the 16GB because you can easely fill 8GB up with Top Gear :D (If some of you want to how to convert the Top Gear movies into mp4 file, just send a massage to me ;) )

You cant get all the same apps because some of the involves recording and the touch dosent have a microphone + some other apps involves the the ability to locate were you are wich the touch cant :) But exept for that, its about the same :)

Last edited:
Hold your horses there. I found this little beauty for the same price as the touch:

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/index.html?country=us?=en&culture=us-en&lang_temp=

Archos-5-angle.jpg

4.8" screen, 60GB HDD, Opera browser, WMV support, Flash game support... The works. For the same price as the 16GB touch. Mad. And Archos sell a load of accessories (like a windscreen suction cup with a GPS adaptor to turn the archos into a proper sat nav).

Don't waste money on the iPod. I was seriously considering one until I saw this. Now I want to wait for the Archos 5g, with 3.5G connectivity built in!