Should photo identification be required for voting?

Should photo identification be required for voting?

• Total voters

cvrefugee

Car(s)
2005 Scion xB
I saw this in the Costco Connection magazine and thought I'd pose the same question to the members of Final Gear.

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
I think it absolutely should. When we vote in Germany, you also need to have ID on you, and it's the only way to make sure your vote is legit. Of course, you could still make a few fake IDs and vote several times, but who would go that long and difficult road just to get a few more votes in?

evoWALO

I live in a country where "double voting", "flying voters" "voting from the grave" is common. So, yes having a validated govt ID like a driver's license, passport or library card makes sense.

People who don't want to do it are plain lazy and do not care to vote.

Anyways do you want an illegal immigrant like say a Filipino overstaying by 5 years choosing who your president is?

uli2000

Either photo ID or stick your finger in an inkwell like they did in Iraq. Bet noone tried to vote twice unless they cut their own finger off. Besides, dont most states issue Id's for free or minimal cost (>$5). Id donate to a fund to pay for IDs for those who cant afford a fiver.

optimusprime

"The ultra-right uses it (?) to disenfranchise the poorer progressives or minority voters." Clearly Art Cobery of La Crescenta, CA is a charter member of the Crazy Bearded Conspiracy Theorists Club (Moustaches Not Welcome), La Crescenta Chapter.

logifuse

The inkwell is a better idea simply because the main form of photo ID, a drivers license, isn't as common in some areas as you might think. There are many people in Manhattan who have never held one, & the numbers of people getting their licenses in the UK when they come of age is dropping.

If it gets to the point of everyone having a common ID card (& hopefully it doesn't), then that could/should be used, but assuming everyone has photo ID these days is quite wrong. And what (apart from a drivers license) is a valid form of photo ID?

cvrefugee

Car(s)
2005 Scion xB
If it gets to the point of everyone having a common ID card (& hopefully it doesn't), then that could/should be used, but assuming everyone has photo ID these days is quite wrong. And what (apart from a drivers license) is a valid form of photo ID?
Anything government-issued such as a passport, non-driver ID (looks like a driver's license), or military ID.

Lupin_IV

Car(s)
'84 Pontiac Parisienne, '93 Chevy Caprice
I just voted and all they asked was your name and then they checked to see if the name was on the list for that particular polling station.
jetsetter, that is disturbing.
In PA, they don't ask for any ID when you register, then the voter registration card is used as your ID the first time you vote, and only a signature is required to vote in the same municipality thereafter.

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
yes, because we have a lot of illegals and visitors from other countries.

They didn't card me when I voted.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Why not? Complaints about unanonymous voting are complete bunk: you show your ID, you get a voting card, you print the X, you drop it in the ballot box. It's still anonymous, you're just proving that you are a citizen with the right to vote and that you haven't already voted.

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
I just voted and all they asked was your name and then they checked to see if the name was on the list for that particular polling station.
that's what they do here, anything sus gets you a friendly chat with the electoral comission.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
sure why the hell not. When I vote they need my ID card and search my name in their longlist of peoples
if it discourages the people cheating, i'm all for it

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
you could still make a few fake IDs and vote several times, but who would go that long and difficult road just to get a few more votes in?
That would be a crime and not to easy to do with all these watermarks e.g. on the ID.

But it couldn't be done in an amount that would change the result of an election.

yes, because we have a lot of illegals and visitors from other countries.

They didn't card me when I voted.
So you really could go to 10 different location and vote?

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
I need I.D. to put a beer in my stomach but in some places I don't need an I.D. to put a vote in the box? That's pretty messed up.

teeb

Car(s)
old Saab 9-3 coup?
So you really could go to 10 different location and vote?
Er...don't you get pre-assigned polling stations?

(eg, these 5 blocks vote at place x, another 5 vote at place y, and so on)