• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Should there be a quality rating or something?

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Before, I kinda figured that people would figure out that the old rips weren't as good quality as the current ones and that makes sense.

However, now that Overheat is ripping the reruns, they're gonna appear to be older than the true oldest rips we have which may confuse people.

So, should I make a note or a little 5 star system or something as the the episode's quality?

Thoughts/ideas needed.

Viper the problem with the star system is you dont have a benchmark on quality. How about putting a description on it like this rip is at this resolution, using this codec, at this bitrate, using this aspect ratio, recorded on this date.

Last weekend I saw a 4:3 aspect ratio of Top Gear featuring Clarkson in the Koenigsegg & the hummer H1 & H2 in NTSC format. ANy idea when this was originally aired?

ummm, maybe a quality column with
poor :)thumbsdown:)
average ( :) )
excellent :)thumbsup:)?
that's how you rate files in kazaa, and I think this system is pretty good. 8)

I definitely think some kind of quality rating/description would be a good idea. I'm not sure what would be the best as far as stars, etc. Lets do some more brainstorming.

evoWALO said:
Viper the problem with the star system is you dont have a benchmark on quality. How about putting a description on it like this rip is at this resolution, using this codec, at this bitrate, using this aspect ratio, recorded on this date.

Last weekend I saw a 4:3 aspect ratio of Top Gear featuring Clarkson in the Koenigsegg & the hummer H1 & H2 in NTSC format. ANy idea when this was originally aired?

Probably Jabba's World, in the beginning he didn't adjust the aspect ratio, which I don't understand why you want to, and as you know it scews the picture. :)

As long as YOU put it, if people start to vote, it might lose it's sence quickly

No, it'd be me rating the quality.

And I'm still debating whether or not to bring back the overall episode rating system (the one that used to be on the old site).

Cruzz563 said:
evoWALO said:

Probably Jabba's World, in the beginning he didn't adjust the aspect ratio, which I don't understand why you want to, and as you know it scews the picture. :)
I saw the Top Gear episode on cable TV. JW's encode are weird and have that annoying watermark.

Ah ok, I don't know about that then, since you saw it on cable. Maybe the BBC (insert name here) used Pan and Scan since, as you know they film the show in a pseudo 16:9 format, not quite 16:9 by not 4:3 either.

Don't let users rate it...as soon as JC trashes a car they like, or it doesn't do well on the track, everyone gives it a poor rating, while the episode may be good. Look at that example that someone posted a while back about the 911...pick maybe 5 people to review it and decide on quality, but don't make it an open forum

yeah, I agree: just go with the video quality rating

So all the eps are gonna be re-ripped? So no more wmv :p (those were season 1,2,3 I think)

Very nice :)

I think it should be mentioned that its a new rip and the usualy BitRate/Codec/AR.

This will be good as I can have them all AVI, and watch them on my Divx player :thumbsup:

I say you shouldn't rate them, as an acceptable quality for somebody might be poor quality for somebody else. I say that you should just put a section in their description where it says the resolution, the bitrate, the format and the file size (and maybe perhaps the codec used, if it's different for every one).
A 5-step or 3-step rating system would confuse people.

Plus, if you ever decide to offer videos at an even grater quality, what will you do ? change the system each time ( i.e. add a star each time or change the rating on some of the vids) ?

That's why I say, keep it objective, give everybody the facts, that way they can't complain about it and you'll have a system that will run as long as you want it to. They will decide on the hard facts if they want to get the video or not. And even more, no certain quality rips will be expected by the public, they'll get what you give them, so if they get a bit lower quality vids than the last best-q episode, they can't complain.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Rate vids from 1 to 5 gears. 8)
Haha, excellent. Someone make me a smilie sized bike sprocket. :D

And some very valid points by vladmitu. I think I'll just do that. However, still be cool to have a gear smilie. :D

Nah, too big tho, I say the purple one
engrenage.gif
, looks kinda like the one for the XP control panel just slanted :D

Cruzz563 said:
Nah, too big tho, I say the purple one
engrenage.gif
, looks kinda like the one for the XP control panel just slanted :D

That or this one (maybe resized) are my favourites, as well.