Should this be the last season of top gear?

...or the BBC axes them and have to finds jobs elsewhere.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

I can see TV companies queuing out of the door to get their hands on TG if the Beeb ever drops it. :)

Ideally we'd all walk out away from whatever we were best at before we start getting bad at it, but realistically, that doesn't happen. How do you know that you were at the top of your game until you start to get a little bit bad at it (ie a sustained decline in ratings, audience, franchise sales etc in this instance).

The die-hard fan base also need to come to that conclusion along with TPTB (and I won't bore you with bits of psychology about recognising & mourning the loss, and the issues that arise with ending shows). The beauty of TG is that it has been able to move from a pokey little car show with 6 blokes in beards standing around in a big hanger with more crew than audience, to what it is today. And if the popularity of the entertainment focus starts to wane, then it can go back to being some blokes in a hanger talking about cars, albeit probably buried in some obscure time slot.

Mr Wilman's blogs have stated that they recognise the issues of the balance between the niche car-centric show and making an entertainment show that just happens to have some cars in it. And quite frankly, whatever they do, not everyone is going to be happy 100% of the time. My only ask is that they stop doing it when they stop enjoying doing it. If the presenters were just doing it because of the paycheck or contract it would be soul destroying to watch, the enthuasium and passion is why I'm watching it, and it's the best thing on my computer TV all week. As long as the passion is still there, I don't mind whichever version they make (well, as long as Jordon is NEVER again the SIARPC).

I can see TV companies queuing out of the door to get their hands on TG if the Beeb ever drops it. :)
Houston, we have a problem. Generally, those programmes that have started brilliantly then decline, tend to be transferred to Channel 5 where they did a slow death due to lack of viewers (Robot Wars, for instance). The obvious problem here is... what's already on Channel 5 to block that move?

I'mm be hopping mad if TG ever ended up on Sky One, because that'd mean ripping out my entire TV and internet setup and starting again with Sky.

Can't see that happening, though.

Hopefully they'll run out of ideas for challenges soon.

Reactions: MWF
The show should end when key members start getting sick of it and leave to do other things. Usually, that's the point where most series' start going sour, and someone can tell the ship is sinking. That hasn't happened yet, and until someone important packs up and starts working for Strictly or something, the series should stick around.

Top Gear has been and still is my favorite show since I first glimpsed it.

It's not a pure car show anymore, but I don't mind the direction it went in. I think it's still got plenty of life left in it. At least 3 more series.

I could go on watching this show for years, it is really all I look forward to each week. The the old episodes on my hard drive hold me over until inbetween seasons.

I doubt the show will ever lose its shine out of getting old, the expectations are just too high and they know it.

There are only two ways the show will end.

A) They step on somebody's toe and aren't able to get away with it (unlikely but possible).

B) The loss/replacement of a presenter. People move onto new things, even Top Gear presenters. I'm sure they know that they can't stick to it forever, and once we lose one of them I feel we've lost all of them. Similarly, if we were to encounter the worst possible situation, I feel the show would abruptly end. (My heart skipped a beat when I learned Hammond got into a jet car accident).

No way. We're only one episode in to Season 12, and I'm confident about this season already. What other show that lasted 11 seasons or more can say that? Sure, they've had the odd dud here and there (the caravan episode springs to mind), but I think they've done a brilliant job. Keep it up guys!

Last edited:
I don't think they'll stop for a while, I read a blog by andy wilman about how at first they figured Top Gear would only last a few seasons, and they'd cut it at their prime, but then it got popular, and now they'll probably have to be kicked off the air before they'll stop. I don't think they'll get kicked off, they'll probably just stop when jezza, hammond, or james tire of it. I think the show is still fantastic! There is some comedy replacing the car segments, but they still give lots of info, and i think the show is funnier than ever. It'd be nice if they brought more car stuff in, but either way is great for me. As long as they keep going, cause when they stop I'll have to kill myself out of boredom.

I don't think Top Gear should just disappear but I do think, as a few other people said, that the show needs to look at where they are going. It is first and foremost a car program that happens to be funny on occasion.

Things like scripted humor have no place on a show like this. If something is naturally funny, which between Jezza, James and Richard happens a lot, then just show it. Don't create it. Things like cows on hoods and that stupid D Motor segment are NOT wanted. At least in my opinion.

Top Gear never needs to end as its not like a sitcom or serial or any other TV show. Its a car show not a show with imaginary characters, plots, scripts or etc therefore it can go on living forever because it relies less on imagination or stories but more on the real world and on the car market and the world is always changing and so is the release of new cars and that gives Top Gear content it needs. Plus with the challenges and general cocking about which will never end.

If the need ever arises they could cut it down to 30 min episodes when the content is that saturated or reduce the episodes as we see now. But either than that Top Gear never has to end. Sure the hosts may get sick of Top Gear but I hope we dont see that for a very long time and especially seeing that they love their jobs. In my opinion the current Top Gear can last for 20 years and by then they may have to look for new hosts but the show never has to end.

TopGear Executive Producer Andy Wilman has been known to write blog entries on topgear.com, some of which have addressed these sort of concerns. That is why series 10 and 11 both had an episode dedicated to cars, with no cocking about.

makes sense and I agree

definatly not the end. Should be soon though :?

what am I kidding..

LIVE!!!!!FOREVER

I agree that the latest episode was too scripted, and somewhat unreasonable. However, I think that they still have time to redeem themselves and go back to the original 3-guys screwing around format. If the entirety of season 12 is like the first episode, then they will be in trouble. Personally, I think that they will keep it going for another year or two before calling it quits. After all, the cast is getting old and I don't know how many more trips to the hospital they will survive. That said, I hope they will keep the show going for a long time :)

Last edited: