• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Should we add a rule that prevents pitting in the last lap?

Should we add a rule that prevents pitting in the last lap?

• Yes, make pitting in the last lap NOT legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep pitting in the last lap legal.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Car(s)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (USDM)
Since I used this trick again (3rd time), and this time won using it, there have been some complaints about doing this.

I don't think it's unfair, or cheating to pit in the last lap, because others can choose to do exactly the same, and you have to use a heavy fuel load and make your tires last.

Having said that, I do agree that it isn't exactly what you'd call in the spirit of racing.
I only used it because well, I have a competitive personality, but I can't say I've had a warm an fuzzy feeling when I have used it, so quite frankly, I'm voting yes on this.

^ I lost because of it. The basic is you didnt lost the time from the pit till the exit to the pit and the lap. If you want pit as late as possible, pit in the lap before the last lap, because you have to need to goto the whole pitlane.
And if everyone would do it, it will be a fight in the pitlane. everyone wants to have the last place, just infront of the finishline.

I'd count a pit stop as entering, stopping and leaving the pit lane, so while i don't have a very stong feeling on this, i'll say yes, prevent it.

Didn't Shumacher finish a race in the pit lane a few years ago, and the FIA stepped in pretty quick after that to make a rule out of it? I can only very vaguely remember, maybe someone else knows better.

NASCAR changed that rule for the All Star race, when you qualify for it, you run I think 2-3 laps, including a pitstop. Most people did the pitstop in the middle, while one person pitted on his last lap.. they changed the rule for it the next year.

I though about it... and voted yes. For 2 reasons.

One being obviously the much shorter time lost, as you don't have to drive out of the pits. In addition to it, pitstop itself is much shorter (no tire change, no refuell).

The other reason is that it kinda kills the excitement. Obviously less fights during the race, and not clear who is leading until very last few seconds.

In some races we wouldn't really have to pit, but we have this mandatory "extra" pit-stop rule to add some excitement, and I think this way it does the opposite. It's not unfair, but it's abusing the rule imho. I wouldn't like to see half of drivers finishing in pits... That way I'd rather scrap whole "mandatory pitstop" altogether.

So... ESPNSTI keeps his win, but lets change the rules :)

Stupid question, since I don?t race with you: How is pitting on the last lap an advantage? :unsure:

Redliner said:
Stupid question, since I don?t race with you: How is pitting on the last lap an advantage? :unsure:

You don't have the disadvantage of having to exit the pits beyond the finish line and getting up to speed again.
For example, in the last race, the lap after the pit stop was about 6 seconds or so slower than an average lap.
So you gain 6 seconds there.

ESPNSTI said:
Redliner said:

You don't have the disadvantage of having to exit the pits beyond the finish line and getting up to speed again.
For example, in the last race, the lap after the pit stop was about 6 seconds or so slower than an average lap.
So you gain 6 seconds there.

Now I see. Sorry, I overseen the fact that there?s a mandatory pit.
Thank you! :)

I don't really think it's abusing the rules, and that it's such a big advantage, but well, for more excitment's sake, and to keep it more "realistic", let's change this to NO pitting in last lap from now on. :)

MorroW said:
POWERRR!! said:
i don't get it. how is pitting in the last lap advantageous?

MXM said:
One being obviously the much shorter time lost, as you don't have to drive out of the pits. In addition to it, pitstop itself is much shorter (no tire change, no refuell).

isn't there considerable time lost while entering the pits as well? i'm mainly talking about pit lane speed limiters.

Yes but that's always there. What isn't there if you pit in last lap, is the entire pit exit distance you would normally have to cover, because you can pit just at the finish line, do 5meters, and finish.

Strategy is strategy. :dunno: I would do the same thing, truth be known.