Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, I don't mind either way... My question is more of a peripheral one... Changing the naming scheme to something that's on "the scene" won't make it more of a target for takedown notices, will it?

The BBC, History channel, etc. are well aware of what we do and are kind enough to look the other way because they realize we mean no harm and are doing our bests to promote the shows and gain them larger audiences.

One could argue that the show is partially as popular as it is on BBC America because people here in the US would download it back in the day.

I'm okay with either, though I like how the new one takes less space than the old, and when I label original videos I use an sxxexx format myself.

I've read several posts saying people have their setup automated, which is unknown to me. I don't want to deflect the thread, so if anyone would like to pm me about what the automation does for you and how to make it happen, I'd be grateful.

See http://forums.finalgear.com/the-site-itself/utorrent-rss-feed-guide-28795/

Top Gear.[S20x06.720p].[2013.08-04].x264-FoV.mkv
Top Gear.[S20x06.1080i].[2013-08-04].H264-CtrlHD.ts

that's my idea for a compromise between the scene standard and our "standard". I realy don't like the dot between Top Gear in the scene standard, cause when you are using an Media server like PS3 Media Server it'll show you the Filenames on your DLNA device with a thumbnail of the file next to it. When you have Top.Gear .... in there it makes look shit tbh (just my imo). Also prefer our [SeasonxEpisode] layout. For me it's quicker to read and easier on the eyes, when I'm on the PC. Also it would fit better to the old naming style so most people probably won't need to rename their files.

I generally prefer s01e01 'scene' style names for my files. After ripping a bunch of TV shows to my hard drive, and trying many different naming schemes, I went through and renamed everything.

from this:
TV Shows/Top Gear UK/Top Gear - [20x01] - 2013.06.30 [720p x264 by FoV].mkv
TV Shows/Top Gear America/Top.Gear.America.03x01.2012.08.14.720p.mkv

to this

TV Shows/Top Gear (BBC)/Top.Gear.(BBC).s20e01.(2013.06.30).720p.FoV.mkv
TV Shows/Top Gear America (History)/Top.Gear.America.(History).s03e01.(2012.08.14).720p.mkv

(I know that TGUS has longer file names now, I debated excluding the America for US. I left it as above for search reasons)

This is what I came up with for naming all of my TV shows:

TV Shows/Name of Show (Channel it was on)/Name.of.Show.(Channel it was on).s00e00.(original.air-date).resolution.or.aspect.Ripper.file

99% of all of my TV shows are named like that, with a period as a spacer, and (parens) to separate the channel and air-dates out. I also use lowercase 's' and 'e' (s01e01 vs S01E01) so I can more easily see the season / episode numbers. I try to keep the FoV or BiA to know who encoded it, in case I want to re-name it back to seed it again.

I hoped to get TGUK, TGUS and TGAUS episodes (among others) to recognize in Plex or XBMC with no luck. I ended up going back to VLC for my playback and using the free Windows 'Everything' program to find any files and play them back through VLC. (Everything from Voidtools ROCKS for fast simple searching of huge drives)

I hoped to get TGUK, TGUS and TGAUS episodes (among others) to recognize in Plex or XBMC with no luck.

Yeah, it's because of your crazy filename system. Our current naming scheme happens to work with Plex for Top Gear UK fine but doesn't match Top Gear US due to us calling it "Top Gear America". It made me realize that sticking to a de facto standard is a lot better than trying to come up with our own format.

Here's what my Plex looks like, 100% of this was automated. So cool.

Yeah, it's because of your crazy filename system. Our current naming scheme happens to work with Plex for Top Gear UK fine but doesn't match Top Gear US due to us calling it "Top Gear America". It made me realize that sticking to a de facto standard is a lot better than trying to come up with our own format.

Here's what my Plex looks like, 100% of this was automated. So cool.

I tried using both Plex and XBMC with the original names, and I think it was America that didn't recognize. I found a few forum posts around that tried to explain the proper way to rename the shows to work with TVDB and Plex, but never got all of mine to work, including using separate folders for each season, so I gave up and came up with my own 'crazy' method for personal searches. I'd still like to get everything into Plex or XBMC if I could figure out what they wanted them named as.

I'd still like to get everything into Plex or XBMC if I could figure out what they wanted them named as.

I have mine how we distribute them. For example 720p:

Y:\Television Shows\Top Gear\Top Gear - Season 20 [720p]\Top Gear - [20x01] - 2013.06.30 [720p x264 by FoV].mkv

It finds all 3 versions I have though and prompts me which resolution I want to play.

So Plex doesn't need each season sorted by individual folders?

(oops, sorry, re-read and saw folder names)

And were you able to get America and Australia to recognize?

Last edited:
So Plex doesn't need each season sorted by individual folders?

(oops, sorry, re-read and saw folder names)

And were you able to get America and Australia to recognize?

I don't think folders matter, just filename. But I could be wrong.

Top Gear Australia appears to have been recognized correctly.

Regardless of file structure, I use a program to batch rename the file names that coincide with IMDB, TVDB and the others and gives a few examples for ease of use. Plex has been happier after ive done it.

Absolutely agree, it'll help when you search for subtitles, I mean if it is standardized it'll be easier to look for the subtitles for every episode. Let's start from series 21st which aired soon.

The new filename structure is now in effect. Thanks for your input, everyone. :)

I think that the Scene naming Scheme is a nice idea for those using HTPC setups. As long as the original air dates are on the site, I'm okay with that. I come to the site to read episode descriptions anyway.

What are you meaning by changing the path to seed other torrents? Why would you want to seed to somebody that downloaded a different file than the one from here at Final Gear? Am I missing something here?

What are you meaning by changing the path to seed other torrents? Why would you want to seed to somebody that downloaded a different file than the one from here at Final Gear? Am I missing something here?

The file we distribute is not made by us. We source it from the Scene and that same file is distributed on many other sites, a large majority of them being private ratio-based websites. So people can snag the file from there and help seed here or visa versa. Now that we're using the same filename (at least on Windows, uppercase vs. lowercase would make it different on Linux and maybe Mac), people can more easily seed the same file to multiple trackers. Still, it's easy to point a torrent at any file you want. I used to do that.