Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
When FinalGear.com first started, the Scene wasn't ripping episodes of Top Gear or any of the other shows. So we came up with our own (dumb) format of "Top Gear - 2003.11.23.avi". We later moved to including the season/episode once I figured that out (those were dark days) as well as giving credit to the ripper.

That left us with today's filename format:

Top Gear - [20x06] - 2013.08.04 [FoV].mp4
Top Gear - [20x06] - 2013.08.04 [720p x264 by FoV].mkv
Top Gear - [20x06] - 2013.08.04 [1080i by CtrlHD].ts

I'd like to suggest that we move to the standardized Scene naming scheme for any future releases, which would look like this:

Top.Gear.S20E06.HDTV.x264-FoV.mp4
Top.Gear.S20E06.720p.HDTV.x264-FoV.mkv
Top.Gear.S20E06.1080i.HDTV.H264-CtrlHD.ts (or something similar)

The advantage of this is that programs like Plex, Sick Beard, and so forth can correctly pull from sites like The TVDB and others. Right now due to our custom labeling of "Top Gear (US)" as "Top Gear America", this doesn't happen. This means in your media libraries, you would automatically get episode descriptions, thumbnails, TV show posters, etc. Some programs can correctly parse our Top Gear and Fifth Gear filenames right now but they don't correctly match against Top Gear America.

Plus just following common standards makes things easier across the board.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not talking about file types or file extensions. Those won't change. I'm only talking about the name of the file.

FINAL UPDATE: We've decided to make this change and will be using the Scene's naming scheme going forward.

Last edited:
You give some advantages of following the standards, and they're pretty convincing. So, obvious question: Do you see any disadvantages? If not, the course should be clear. I, for one, don't see any.

Top.Gear.S20E06.HDTV.x264-TLA.mp4
Top.Gear.S20E06.720p.HDTV.x264-FoV.mkv
1080i naming scheme to be determined
Would "Top.Gear.S20E06.1080i.HDTV.x264-groupname.ts" not be the logical choice, provided 1080i is indeed also x264?

Last edited:
Yes, this will help people seed files that they get from other places. No one wants to have duplicates of the same thing just to help seed.

So, obvious question: Do you see any disadvantages? If not, the course should be clear. I, for one, don't see any.

Our current formats are potentially easier to understand and read for a novice, but not by that much and one people get used to the Scene's format, then it's not a problem.

Would "Top.Gear.S20E06.1080i.HDTV.x264-groupname.ts" not be the logical choice, provided 1080i is indeed also x264?

No, they aren't x264. They're just normal H.264. So it would be something like this:

Top.Gear.S20E06.1080i.HDTV.H264-CtrlHD.ts

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this will help people seed files that they get from other places. No one wants to have duplicates of the same thing just to help seed.

You don't need to -- just point your torrent client at the file rather than having it find it itself. The "relocate" functionality. I do this all the time. :)

But still, yeah. However often the filenames inside of the RARs are in all lowercase, or sometimes even a joke filename that doesn't match the folder name. I would be having the filename match the release folder name rather than strictly sticking to the lowercase filename.

Assuming the filename wasn't a joke, then I think we would end up using the same filenames just capitalized. On Windows (most people), this would mean they would be the "same" filename. Mac and Linux folks would still run into the same issue.

Last edited:
The advantage of this is that programs like Plex, Sick Beard, and so forth can correctly pull from sites like The TVDB and others. Right now due to our custom labeling of "Top Gear (US)" as "Top Gear America", this doesn't happen. This means in your media libraries, you'd automatically get episode descriptions, thumbnails, TV show posters, etc. Some programs can correctly parse our Top Gear and Fifth Gear filenames right now but they don't correctly match against Top Gear America.

I voted to switch to Scene's naming scheme for that exact reason. My media center is 100% automated as long as Plex can find the correct metadata. Top Gear is the main show preventing me from full automation.

I voted to switch to Scene's naming scheme for that exact reason. My media center is 100% automated as long as Plex can find the correct metadata. Top Gear is the main show preventing me from full automation.

Same here, using Sickbeard and XBMC

Plex correctly parsed Top Gear UK for me but not Top Gear US.

This is probably a stupid question, but converting these to mp4 should not be an issue, correct? i use a converter software, just wanted to make sure. Either way, whatever is great for other folks, I just am thankful to have this access and watch my favorite show period.

This is probably a stupid question, but converting these to mp4 should not be an issue, correct? i use a converter software, just wanted to make sure. Either way, whatever is great for other folks, I just am thankful to have this access and watch my favorite show period.

Should be no issue. Have you not tried it yet? Try it and if there's a problem, THEN come back and ask for help. And this thread is not that place, but you'll get it.

As for the point of the thread, I say yes, rename to scene conventions starting with the next series. There's no clear reason not to. The number of people who will be pissed off will be far far far fewer than the number of people who either don't care or would benefit.

File type and extension won't be changing, just how we name the files.

Scene format would be ideal since its comparable or hashable to other internet sourced files (such as usenet download) and then it can be shared without renaming (not a big deal but stating me preference).

Scene format would be ideal since its comparable or hashable to other internet sourced files (such as usenet download) and then it can be shared without renaming (not a big deal but stating me preference).

Most torrent clients can seed off of files that don't match the filename. When you open our torrent for example, just point it at the existing Scene file downloaded from elsewhere and it'll seed away.

But yes. :)

Honestly, whatever format you use to name the files will work out. I think that most people will be able to work it out. I, for one appreciate your releases regardless of the way they are structured. You guys are simply awesome. Rock on Viper!

I don't see how it would make any difference to me, but if it makes it easier or better in someway for other people, I guess change it!