Shutdown Day

maateuszz89

Car(s)
2009 Mazda CX-7, 2006 Alfa Romeo 147
Can you survive without your computer?

It is obvious that without computers we would find our life extremely difficult, maybe even impossible. If they disappeared for just one day, would we be able to cope?

Be part of one of the biggest global experiments ever to take place on the Internet. The idea behind Shutdown Day is to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day, and what will happen if we all participate!

Shutdown your computer on 03 May 2008 and find out!

www.shutdownday.org/

That's pretty pointless, all that fuss to save some energy. I survive without computer only when I really have to. Damn it, I'm addicted to the Internet.

Online registration for the next semester at my university is that day, so yeah, not going to partake.

I can't shutdown, I've got this thing called homework and when your on an online college it's pretty freaking hard to do and submit your work without a computer. I could use my laptop but I'm not going. :no:

EDIT: Smilie stop frowning, there is no reason to. :lol:

No problem for me, when I got to Iran for 2 months. I stay at my grandma's house and she doesn't have a computer, so I get use to it. The internet is pretty much the only fun stuff I do on the computer, my other activities on the computer is just work/school related (ex: AutoCAD, photoshop, MS word, etc).

It's nothing that will kill me, it's actually kinda a relief to take a break. I can get through my summer reading, spend more time with family, go outside and play football (soccer) with my cousin or swim.

But when I come back, I can't wait to get on the internet again. It's actually more enjoyable, because pretty much every where there is something new to you.

Revision to do....sorry :(

...FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

I could and I have, and I'm prolly not turning it on untill sometime in the afternoon that day, but only because I'm not home untill then.

It would do some people good to shut it down for a day (on a regular basis) and get outside (myself included).

I don't care about energy savings though. But getting out more often is a good thing.......sometimes :p

But yeah, I usually go camping for a few days out of the year, but I wouldn't mind doing it on a more regular basis.

Last edited:
The 3rd would be easy. I spend all week on computers, so my desire to do so on the weekend is pretty low.

Define "computer". I have two laptops with extremely long battery lives, obsolete operating systems, and no internet access, so technically they would round down to "pad of paper that you shouldn't drop". I can just use them for writing and playing CGA DOS games while staying off the power grid and Internet. Loopholes ftw.

No I fucking can't. Someone shoot Al Gore in the fucking head and end this nagging.

Reactions: Jay
No I fucking can't. Someone shoot Al Gore in the fucking head and end this nagging.

Yes, THANK YOU! :rolleyes: * Our world is now set up to use computers, as is our lives.

BTW, I didn't use a personal computer until 2001, when I was 26. I lived without it just fine.

*eye roll to demonstrate how exasperated I am with this nonsense, not your post. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't going to use my computer at all tomorrow whether someone told me to or not! Hurrah for working all day!

I can.

But I don't want to. Not while I have an 10mb line.