SIARPC Rant!

EDIT: Guest from 13x06 exactly what I mean about the perfect SIARPC - if they could manage that weekly then I'm sure everyone would be happy.
THIS. He was a fun guy to watch and, on top of that, the kind of star you don't get to see on any other chat show. Along with Jay Kay (when did he release his last album? It must have been in the 90's) he's a prime example of an interesting guy who does not need to plug anything, but, as he has nothing to plug would not be invited to any other chat show.
With no new book/CD/album/charity project/adopted african child upcoming, bookers for chat shows can't justify inviting just some celebrity - without anything of current interest, it would be bad for the ratings.
As Top Gear is a car/entertainment/comedy program with a short-ish chat show segment, they are relatively free from this considerations and thus should, for their own good, invite more "general interest" guests and less "current interest" guests.

But that brings us back to the "agents" problem Dogbert was talking about...
...you have to be in AC/DC, the Rolling Stones or just be Jay Kay to just appear on any show without your agent interfering.

Although I have no idea where the OP is from, there's a big Stig-shaped elephant in the room that people seem to be missing. As I've said before, TG is and always will be aimed at a UK audience, so nobody from another country can complain about not knowing them. They can use Wikipedia if it's such a problem anyway. I enjoy this segment mostly, because most of the guests are familiar in some way.

Plugging is another issue entirely, and is pretty much unavoidable. These stars aren't going to go out of their way to come on the show for nothing, or should I say the agents aren't going to let them on for nothing. This season they've not had many car enthusiasts on so it's difficult to talk about cars, but I haven't been bored with them for it. I do think that they need more comedians on though, it's been a while since they've had one on and they always seem to make better guests, if only because they make Clarkson rock back and forward on his chair with laughter.

he's a prime example of an interesting guy who does not need to plug anything

and people like Simon Pegg and Michael Parkinson are prime examples of people with things to plug that were just as interesting and entertaining.

as i said having something to plug or not is a non issue and has nothing to do with what a guest is like. people need to drop this silly notion that those with nothing to plug automatically make them better.

EDIT:
and to the 1 person that left a message with their negative rep of me, fine i really dont care if you dont like my opinion. the "biotch" wasnt needed.

Last edited:
Jimmy Carr was an brilliant guest as well. And more comedians would be a good idea imo.

as i said having something to plug or not is a non issue and has nothing to do with what a guest is like. people need to drop this silly notion that those with nothing to plug automatically make them better.

If you would have read my post more carefully you'd have seen that i was not making a point against plugging something on Top Gear, but about people who don't have anything to plug not being invited to other chat shows.

EDIT: Yay! Post #800!

Last edited:
If you would have read my post more carefully you'd have seen that i was not making a point against plugging something on Top Gear, but about people who don't have anything to plug not being invited to other chat shows.

actually i did read your post carefully but you still push a false idea.that being

and thus should, for their own good, invite more "general interest" guests and less "current interest" guests.

someone with nothing to plug or not in the news or on chat shows etc etc etc doesnt make them a better guest. it is in no way going to make a guest more interesting or entertaining.

i am sure TG do try to select who they think will be interesting as often as they can but even if they think someone will be its not until they are on the show and its all done that the result is seen.

if people want to complain about anything they should be complaining Jeremy should push the promo stuff out first and fast and then get in to the questions, especially car related ones.

someone with nothing to plug or not in the news or on chat shows etc etc etc doesnt make them a better guest. it is in no way going to make a guest more interesting or entertaining.

Well - yes. But still i think it is an oppurtunity to invite guests you don't see in other shows that should be used.

THIS. He was a fun guy to watch and, on top of that, the kind of star you don't get to see on any other chat show. Along with Jay Kay (when did he release his last album? It must have been in the 90's) he's a prime example of an interesting guy who does not need to plug anything, but, as he has nothing to plug would not be invited to any other chat show.

Aren't AC/DC touring right now? I seem to recall a load of adverts for their Glasgow concert the other week...

Aren't AC/DC touring right now? I seem to recall a load of adverts for their Glasgow concert the other week...

They're in Regina soon, though that's quite far off from the UK naturally, and I'm just confirming that a tour is in progress.

Although I have no idea where the OP is from, there's a big Stig-shaped elephant in the room that people seem to be missing. As I've said before, TG is and always will be aimed at a UK audience, so nobody from another country can complain about not knowing them.

1) Interesting reference to the elephant :lol:
2) This.
3) When I was watching TG AUS and TG Russia, I didn't know ANY of the guests. However what I didn't do is come on here and complain about this fact. I watched some of them, found them boring, and moved on. I have no idea how famous they were in their countries, nor what they have done. But I didn't come and complain about it.

I agree. Not knowing the guests well is one of the reasons I like the spoilers section. It gives me a bit of a heads up so I can spend 5 minutes on the intertube getting a vague idea who people are. It makes the interview more enjoyable.

Although I have no idea where the OP is from, there's a big Stig-shaped elephant in the room that people seem to be missing. As I've said before, TG is and always will be aimed at a UK audience, so nobody from another country can complain about not knowing them. They can use Wikipedia if it's such a problem anyway. I enjoy this segment mostly, because most of the guests are familiar in some way.

THIS! Kids, read the above paragraph very carefully.

Plugging is another issue entirely, and is pretty much unavoidable. These stars aren't going to go out of their way to come on the show for nothing, or should I say the agents aren't going to let them on for nothing. This season they've not had many car enthusiasts on so it's difficult to talk about cars, but I haven't been bored with them for it. I do think that they need more comedians on though, it's been a while since they've had one on and they always seem to make better guests, if only because they make Clarkson rock back and forward on his chair with laughter.

:nod: I know Michael McIntyre was on earlier in the series, but he grated on my nerves. People like Stephen Fry, Harry Enfield (IIRC, he had nothing to promote in 12x04; he came on for self-redemption), and Jimmy Carr, on the other hand, I absolutely enjoyed.

and people like Simon Pegg and Michael Parkinson are prime examples of people with things to plug that were just as interesting and entertaining.

I said in the 13x05 thread that Sienna Miller was a delightful surprise for me. I hold to that. I also enjoyed Marky Mark's appearance in the previous series. If someone has something to plug but can still hold my interest, I'm alright with that.

Well - yes. But still i think it is an oppurtunity to invite guests you don't see in other shows that should be used.

of course. in fact they do have not only celebs promoting stuff but those that dont as well already. there should be no need to make it exclusive either way.

something else to remember is that a celeb with out anything to promote may not be as easy to get. great if they are fans of TG but what if they are not ? the producers no doubt have to put in more effort to convince them.
however someone promoting something can be told "why not come on TG, you will be seen by 6-7 million people". i am sure its easier to get someone that way.

I've never been a fond of it since the beginning. I've watched it just for shiggles and the stiggles.

These days I skip right past it, which impairs my judgement of episodes.

i never really watch them, i kinda scan through the part, get to the end where they show the time and then resume regual programming.

I have never really thoroughly enjoyed the SIARPC segment, but I do watch it all the way through every episode. Although to be honest, furious masturbation usually occupies my time while I wait for the segment to finish.

On a serious note though, there have been some SIARPC segments that I have thoroughly enjoyed, but if I had a choice, I would prefer the SIARPC time being devoted to reviews, the news or the challenges. I really don't mind if you keep it, but if there is poll going on, you have my vote. :)