Side Mirrors

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
I've always been curious about why some cars side mirrors are placed beside the hood like this
toyota%20crown%20deluxe.jpg

is it because so it eliminates the blind-spot that is right over the shoulder or the driver and front passenger. If it is true, then why isn't it used anymore nowadays?

for caravans ........

haz

doesnt the xj220 have one on the door and one on the body?

why has no car taken the style from the vectra? those side mirrors are realy cool (for sidemirrors)

I've only seen this on old Japanese cars. They probably had different legislation on what the mirror should actually display.

The same car in somewhere like Australia had them on the doors.

They let you look at the mirror without losing sight ahead of the vehicle. ;)

Downside is you're looking at a 6" piece of mirror thats now 3' away!

It was a fairly good idea in some ways. Made mirror adjustments before electrics a royal pain in the ass though!

"Ok, it needs to go left ten degrees"
*gets out of car to adjust*
"damn, too far left..."

I think the reason is because back in the 70's and 80's people had a need to tow trailers for vacation (you know, those really big things that people cook and sleep in?). By placing the mirror towards the front of the vehicle, it gives the driver a better view to what's behind the trailer; it's sort of like eliminating a big blind spot. Nowadays people normally won't use a sedan to tow things, so mirrors can stay at the door for better dynamics, and of course, for better looks at well :)

i think they look classic...i wonder if they sell after market versions of this

I remember seeing some JDM 4x4s with a single mirror like that, too, besides the 2 on their doors.