Silent hunter V: "What, they still make PC sims in 2010?" of the Atlantic

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
SH5_forum%20banner1.jpg

Hey all, matt here. I just wanted to tell you guys about a new submarine simulator coming out in under a week, sequel to the sequel of basically the same exact game (Silent hunter 3)

For those that dont know, you take command of a German U-boat in a certain under-represented global conflict of the mid 20th century, but really this re imaging of the series is all about eye candy, so its probibly better if you just see for yourself:

[youtube]JVmvH4IUA9E[/youtube]

Although it reportedly has an annoying "Always connected to Ubisoft authentication servers", it thankfully no longer uses the Starforce "kill everything if you run any virtual drives" system. And hey, if its not scanning my system and prevents game piracy (putting money in the developers pockets) i say thats just fine.

So, is anyone else going to be stalking the atlantic for british shipping this march? Or am i the only weird submarine guy on finalgear?

I was always more of a flight sim guy.

WWII flight sims were my favorite when I was a kid. I haven't played a sim in quite a while though (not including driving sims)

Heres a video showing actual gameplay. As you can see you can now walk around the submarine and see people going about their buisiness and duties on the sub, although understandibly the full crew is not modeled (In real life it would probibly be 6+ People reloading that 30 foot long torpedo, but that would pointlessly bog down your system and be very difficult to look natural, people bitch on subsim forums but i say have some imagination damn it!)

[youtube]8QJnhU18hw4[/youtube]

Im playing a heavily modified version of SH4 now, and nothing is more satisfying than going after a convoy in 1939 and seeing a british battleship steaming off the coast of spain. You think your hot shit until it takes 7-8 torpedoes and 9 hours to actually sink the thing :lol: (the first 3 of course bouncing harmlessly off the side of the ship leaving a dent and nothing more)

I am too impatient for these games. I played SH4 once and was impressed by it but I was too stupid to fully understand it :D

Must have Internet connection to play single player game? Not interested.

Again, simulations in this day and age are few and far between, and becoming rarer as publishers notice the dwindling PC market, much less the Hardcore military sim market and move their resources to more marketable games (Smartphone software is the new meal ticket), so any losses due to piracy are a disaster and make it less likely that we will see a silent hunter 6 with every torrent cracked.

In the past they have used VERY invasive software to attempt to defeat piracy, but nowadays very few people into gaming do not have a constant broadband connection, so a online-based software verification method is a superior option. As far as i'm concerned anything that makes the software more difficult to pirate is alright by me, as long as it doesnt cause conflicts with other software or ruin performance (starforce did this for me). I'm getting it on steam anyway, which usually replaces 1st party DRM with their own, i think. Why do you hate romanian game developers? :cry:

Last edited:
If they start to animate torpedo loading then at least make the men look like they are in a hurry.
In that video I already had the urge to shout at them to get moving already.

If I play the game and need that damn torpedo ready to take out that destroyer heading right at me then I will probably explode out of frustration.

They should make animations for different situations such as normal operation, action stations and silent running.
Well silent running can be left off because they aren't supposed to reload torpedoes anyway.

I'm getting it on steam anyway, which usually replaces 1st party DRM with their own, i think.
Steam would be OK if every single game wouldn't cost far more than in the retail market. I usually order my games from the UK as they cost like 3/4th what they cost here. For example I paid 20?(23?) for Race 07:GTR Evolution and it would have cost me 50? in Steam. Also Steam games always stay at MSRP and never get cheaper, even if the damn game is a year old!

Last edited:
I have the previous games but this doesnt feel like it's bringing anything new to the table. Feels like SH4 with a new campaign.

not entirely off topic (nor really on topic) Are there any sub sims that are based around current gen of subs (or previous gen LA class). I suppose a focus change away from direct anti shipping to missile delivery makes for a less "interesting" game. I just find more current sub technology more interesting than the historical stuff.

Also Steam games always stay at MSRP and never get cheaper

WHAT!? :lol:

Maybe this is an american thing, but for me steam is known for its amazing sales and deals, especially on weekends and holidays)

I have to ask you darkreaper, how popular is the whole u boat sim thing (and as a whole, the world wars games) in germany, while i'm not blinded by postwar propoganda nazifiing the underseeboot force, i cant imagine that it is something that people would want to glorify or revisit for entertainment on the scale the US gaming public, as it was pretty much our finest military hour of the century. Also, do you lot usually install the swastika mods as well like the rest of us, even against (apperantly) the local law? :ninja:

I have the previous games but this doesnt feel like it's bringing anything new to the table. Feels like SH4 with a new campaign.

And windows 7 compatibility, and anti aliasing. And that "New game" smell.

Last edited:
The last sub SIM I played on PC was Aces of the Deep. Really really old school. However, I loved the sub battles in Battlestations Midway on the 360. This looks cool, but I want to know what the info they are tracking is. I planned on buying SH3, but heard about all the invasive software issues. I will wait a bit to here about all the complaints before I jump in.

WHAT!? :lol:

Maybe this is an american thing, but for me steam is known for its amazing sales and deals, especially on weekends and holidays)

Must be, because I haven't spent more than $10 on a Steam game in a long time.

I agree about requiring an internet connection for an online game (Steam at least has an offline mode). My internet breaks all the freaking time.

I have to ask you darkreaper, how popular is the whole u boat sim thing (and as a whole, the world wars games) in germany, while i'm not blinded by postwar propoganda nazifiing the underseeboot force, i cant imagine that it is something that people would want to glorify or revisit for entertainment on the scale the US gaming public, as it was pretty much our finest military hour of the century. Also, do you lot usually install the swastika mods as well like the rest of us, even against (apperantly) the local law? :ninja:

I have no idea how popular WW2 sims are but I doubt that they are significantly less popular than in the US. The younger generation games are targeted at (and I include myself in that) don't really care about what happened in WW2. We happily play as Americans, British or Germans and aren't bothered by any historical issues. Because first of all it's just a game. Battlefield:1942 was just as popular here as it was in the US.

I don't know if the general gaming public even cares about the missing swastikas but I know that I always try to get them back into the game. Historical accuracy trumps all. Also I will never submit to censorship.

In general the foreign opinion that everyone is crying themselves to sleep over what we did in WW2 is blown far out of proportion. 99% of the general public doesn't really care anymore or just acknowledges our history but doesn't dwell on it.

As I am a war buff myself I generally enjoy having the chance to play as a german soldier. Individually, it was a war like any other. Soldier versus soldier, tank vs tank, ship vs ship, only the grand picture was horrific. Doesn't mean that I am not going to play as an allied soldier, but that side is already pretty over-represented.

Current Example: I paid about 37? to get Mass Effect 2 delivered to my house from the UK, 50? to get it from Steam
Current Steam Spotlights: Spellforce 2: Gold for 7,50? (regular price 29,99?). You can get it for 14,50? from every single store in Germany.
Supreme Commander 2 Pre-Order: Steam = 44,99? , Retail(Germany) = 41?, Retail (UK:Amazon)= 28?!!!

I would be mad to order anything from Steam if I can get brand new games for half the price from the UK.

Last edited:
In general the foreign opinion that everyone is crying themselves to sleep over what we did in WW2 is blown far out of proportion. 99% of the general public doesn't really care anymore or just acknowledges our history but doesn't dwell on it.

I just want to be clear that i dont feel this way, i know there is a lot more to the history of the area than that one time period and i'm sure history crosses modern people's minds over there as often as it does anywhere else (not often). I just love hearing seemingly mundane "foreign" opinions. It interests me :) Like i wish i could just have a thread "Ask a foriegner something", and have a sort of ask/tell forum for all of our random questions and answers. Anyone else think that might be interesting? Wow i'm off-topic...

Last edited:
Steam EU prices are retarded, they only change $ to ? and think that reflects reality. A physical copy with all it's benefits is +10% cheaper in the local store and 25-60% cheaper to order online. COD2:MW costs 90% more at Steam than it does at Amazon.

Like i wish i could just have a thread "Ask a foriegner something", and have a sort of ask/tell forum for all of our random questions and answers. Anyone else think that might be interesting? Wow i'm off-topic...
Start one!

Last edited:
I will be getting this. Already got SH3 and 4, but i liked SH3 better. It might have something to do with the german sub and the fact that one of my favourite movies is Das Boot. ;)

The SH series is great, especially for having a wide range of difficulty. You can set it at a pretty easy pace and it is still fun, or turn it to hardcore "i was a u-boat captain in my past life" settings and have one of the deepest naval simulators out there.

If you guys are interested in other hardcore military sims, check out DCS Black Shark. It is a full simulation by the makers of Lock On: Modern Air Combat of the Russian Black Shark helicopter, with every button, knob, and lever in the cockpit modeled and function. I don't have it yet, but I plan to make the investment (both time and money) probably this summer.