SILLY SEASON 2009/2010

MP4/14

Yes it has started well and truly now :)

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

1 Lewis HAMILTON Contract until 2012
2 Heikki KOVALAINEN Expires in a month.*

* Heikki is out of contract for next year in terms of his current deal at McLaren.

Heikki has confirmed that his McLaren option actually expires this month.

POSSIBLE DRIVERS

Time Glock
Nico Rosberg

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

3 Felipe MASSA END of 2010
4 Kimi RAIKKONEN END of 2010*

Kimi Raikkonen's Finnish agent, as well as Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali, have fended off the latest round of rumours regarding the 2007 World Champion.

But Riku Kuvaja, who is the Ferrari driver's agent and media spokesman in Finland, told the Iltalehi daily: "The contract is valid and we will adhere to it."

"There is nothing new," the Italian insisted. "Surely everyone remembers last season, when the rumours were the same."

"Believe the team and the facts, not rumours," Domenicali added, when asked why it is so strongly believed in the paddock that Fernando Alonso is set to replace Raikkonen.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090715135630.shtml

A tough season for the 2007 F1 world champion at Ferrari

Kimi Raikkonen is to to quit Formula one to launch a full time rallying campaign next season the Finnish sports magazine Veikkaaja claims.

The 2007 world champion has recently contested three minor events in Finland and Italy, and will make his WRC debut in Finland at the end of this month.

It is suggested that while top teams can contractually forbid their drivers from participating in dangerous pursuits, Ferrari is keen to let Raikkonen develop his rallying hobby in order to make room for Fernando Alonso at the team next year.

A friend of Raikkonen is quoted by Veikkaaja as saying: "Kimi doesn't talk about Formula One anymore. He just talks about rally

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090714120539.shtml

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:
Fernando Alonso

BMW Sauber F1 Team

5 Robert KUBICA END of 2009
6 Nick HEIDFELD END of 2009

Heidfeld apparently talking to several teams.
Kubica doesnt look like he is going anywhere.

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

Christien Klien

Christian Klien's contract means he could make his return to the Formula One grid next year at BMW Sauber.

The 26-year-old Austrian, who lost his Red Bull seat in 2006 and moved to Honda as a tester, has been Swiss-based BMW's reserve driver for the past two seasons.

The Austrian news source Vorarlberg Online believes his contract with the German squad guarantees him a full race seat by 2010.

The publication also believes Klien would replace Nick Heidfeld, who has admitted he is in talks regarding his future with other teams.

"It is far too early to talk about the driver market,? Klien commented.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090714113220.shtml

ING Renault F1 Team

7 Fernando ALONSO UNTIL 2011*
8 Nelsinho PIQUET END of 2009**

* Original contract would have seen him without a contract next year but Alonso has signed a two year extension to that.

Nelson Piquet contested his final Grand Prix for Renault at the Nurburgring last weekend, according to a Brazilian television network.

SporTV claims the 23-year-old will be replaced at the forthcoming Hungarian Grand Prix and for the remainder of the 2009 season by team reserve driver Romain Grosjean, a French-Swiss GP2 driver.

The Brazilian source also said Lucas di Grassi will be drafted in to Grosjean's test seat.

However, the news has not been confirmed by Renault, with team boss Flavio Briatore last Friday answering "we don't know yet" when asked if Piquet will still have his seat in Hungary.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090715142654.shtml

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

UNKNOWN for NEXT year.

Panasonic Toyota Racing

9 Jarno TRULLI UNKNOWN
10 Timo GLOCK END of 2010

Both likely to stay unless Glock moving to McLaren is true.

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

UNKNOWN

Scuderia Toro Rosso

11 S?bastien BOURDAIS END of 2009*
12 S?bastien BUEMI END of 2009

* Belived to have raced for last time in Germany and set to be replaced.

Buemi is a Red Bull Junior and likely to continue. Has potential

POSSIBLE DRIVERS

Alguersuari, Red Bull's F1 reserve driver is hoping for a full-time Toro Rosso race seat in 2010.

Red Bull Racing

14 Mark WEBBER END OF 2009
15 Sebastian VETTEL END OF 2010

"He is driving extremely well," Horner said of the 32-year-old, "but the season is only half over so we are not in negotiations yet."nnThe Briton said both Vettel and Webber performed immaculately at Silverstone three weeks ago, confirming that "we have the strongest driver pairing in the field", according to Horner

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dail...8146-Red+Bull+likely+to+keep+Mark+Webber.html

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

UNKNOWN/ NONE

AT&T Williams

16 Nico ROSBERG END OF 2009
17 Kazuki NAKAJIMA END OF 2009

Rosberg wants deal Finalised by September so we shall know near then.

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

UNKNOWN

Force India F1 Team

20 Adrian SUTIL END OF 2009
21 Giancarlo FISICHELLA END OF 2009

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

Bruno Senna
Tonio Liuzzi*

Liuzzi all set to replace Fisichella at Force India

Tonio Liuzzi today indicated he may soon be able to announce his return to Formula One.

Liuzzi has spent the last two seasons as Force India's test and reserve driver, and it is believed his deal with the Silverstone-based squad guarantees a race seat next year.

Liuzzi did not refer to his contract at the Nurburgring on Saturday, but grinned when asked which of the three new entrants he most fancies for a ride next year.

"Maybe one of the present ones," he told the BBC. "Hopefully soon we can announce something.
I think we are really close to stepping back into a race seat.?

BrawnGP Formula 1 Team

22 Jenson BUTTON UNKNOWN contract BUT SAFE
23 Rubens BARRICHELLO END OF 2009

Rubens doesnt seem happy.

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

Nick Heidfeld (reports that he almost drove their for this season. One of the teams he is speaking to?)

Dallara-Campos

24 Told that one driver to be confirmed at Valencia. (Rumoured to be Pedro de La Rosa.)
25 TBC

USF1

26 TBC
27 TBC

POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

Jacques Villenueve
Danica Patrick

Manor F1

28 TBC
29 TBC

Likely looking at one driver to be an experienced driver and one to be a complete newbie.

OTHER POSSIBLE DRIVERS:

Kamui Kobayashi (Toyota Development Driver)
Romain Grosjean (Renault Development Driver)
Nico H?lkenberg (Williams test driver)
Pantana
Karun Chandok

ALL drivers currently in GP2

Last edited:
what a mess! Though it is very possible that the newer teams will just hire the weaker drivers that quit the other teams.

Don't forget Rosberg possibly to BMW and Sutil possibly to McLaren.

The other way round plz. :)

Sutil to McLaren? That's very unexpected.

I think thats just the "Hey, hamilton and sutil are friends, clearly they will work together" rumor mill talking.

I'd love to see vettel to mclaren, surely he would go for the german team over the italian one :)

Yes, i know they arent really german...

Just like Michael Schumacher di... Oh wait, no. ;)

I'd love to see vettel to mclaren, surely he would go for the german team over the italian one :)

I think he did say though that he admires the Schu and would love to drive for Ferrari too...
But I'd actually love to see him stay with Red Bull for some time. :)

Red Bull eyeing up new Webber contract

16 July 2009

Red Bull Racing and Mark Webber are set to meet in discussions over a new contract for the Australian ahead of next season. The most recent race winner's current deal expires at the end of this year, although latest results are likely to see a new agreement written up within the next several weeks.

Christian Horner has enjoyed three race wins so far this season
With a first pole position and Grand Prix win coming in Germany and now only one and a half points behind team-mate Sebastian Vettel for second place in the drivers' World Championship, the pairing have their sights set on leader Jenson Button's Brawn GP car.

"Mark is doing a great job and he is a great team player," Red Bull team principal Christian Horner told Autosport. "We have got a very good balance in the team and we will get around to talking to him about his contract shortly but he is a very valued member of the team."

Source

Makes sense, can't see why Red Bull/Webber would want any changes next year. Webber has said in the past he'd like to finish his career at Red Bull.

Last edited:
Mercedes keen to have German driver
21 July 2009

Norbert Haug, vice president for Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, has made no secret of the fact that the German manufacturer would like to see a fellow countryman in one of its cars. With Mercedes being co-owners of the McLaren team, the likes of Nico Rosberg, Timo Glock and Nick Heidfeld have already been loosely linked with the outfit.

No German driver has been part of McLaren since Heidfeld's testing role with the team in 1999, although Mercedes admits that a German driver in a German-powered car would be an attractive proposition. "Rumours?we have never commented, but Nico Rosberg deserves a Formula One knighthood," Haug told the German SID press agency. "He's blitzed some races this season, most recently at the N?rburgring as he moved from 15th on the grid to fourth at the finish in what is a good car but certainly not the best in the field."

The current line-up sees British World Champion Lewis Hamilton racing alongside Finland's Heikki Kovalainen for the second consecutive season - what kind of different effect would a German have behind the car's steering wheel? "I will by no means exclude that fact that we have already tried to have a German driver onboard," Haug admitted. "There have been attempts in the last ten years for Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel; all of them existing contracts with other teams at the time so, of course, we have respected those.

"I understand all fans, especially our German fans, desire to see a German driver in the car. We must always set up in such a way that we can win races and championships but if a German driver could succeed with us it would be a better still."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/21/mercedes-keen-to-have-german-driver/

This is looking more and more likely...

Also the intensity of the "Alonso-to-Ferrari" rumours is increasing by the hour. Latest news put Ferrari's 2010 driver announcement on Sept 10th, and other journalists seem to have found out that Alonso will be attending some kind of press conference in Milan around that date.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/21/mercedes-keen-to-have-german-driver/

Norbert Haug, vice president for Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, has made no secret of the fact that the German manufacturer would like to see a fellow countryman in one of its cars. With Mercedes being co-owners of the McLaren team, the likes of Nico Rosberg, Timo Glock and Nick Heidfeld have already been loosely linked with the outfit.
One day in 2001, Nick Heidfeld gets a phone call from Norbert Haug to see how he's getting on.

Haug:
"So, Nick, are you enjoying your racing vith Sauber? Don't vorry, zere vill be a race seat for you here vhen ve lose vun of our drivers. You haf done very vell for ze Vest team in F3000 so zis is absolutely guaranteed."

Much later, Nick returns the call...

Heidi:
"Herr Haug! I hear Mika H?kkinen has decided to wetire fwom Formula 1. Do I haf a wace seat with McLaren now?"

Haug:
"Actually, ve haf decided to hire Kimi R?ikk?nen instead. Entschuldigung."

Heidi:
"Schei?e."

Last edited:
In regards to USF1:

No word on when the team plans to hire a driver but a report in the German publication Bild Sport claims Jacques Villeneuve is close to signing on with the team. The newspaper says an official announcement could be made in the next few weeks.

"It's true, I will return to Formula 1," Villeneuve is quoted as saying without specifically making reference to US F1. "The cars next year, with slick tires and reduced aerodynamics, are perfect for me."

Source. (Near the bottom of the article, though the entire article is worth reading)

Yeah I don't think so :p

IndyCar's Patrick not interested in F1

20 July 2009

IndyCar series driver Danica Patrick has confirmed that she is not interested in joining the new USF1 team in Formula One next season, explaining that the pull of family and friends at home in the United States is too much to sacrifice if racing in a World Championship.

Once the launch of the Charlotte-based USF1 team was announed in February, speculation naturally began over the team's driver line-up; the outfit founded by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor has not make any secret of the fact that it would prefer to have at least one driver from its own country, with Patrick Patrick often mentioned as one of the candidates. When asked if she would be interested in the possibility, however, Danica's words are clear: "Not really," she told the LA Times.

"I've had opportunities to take it a step further, with Formula One, and I don't want to lead anyone down a path; it's not in my heart to go there, I've explored Europe before - I particularly like to be here and I like my family and my friends plus the creature comforts of my home country."

Source

Good.

Webber is being retained by Red Bull for 2010:

German Grand Prix winner Mark Webber will stay on with Red Bull Racing for the 2010 season after agreeing a new deal with the team.

The Australian joined Red Bull from Williams in 2007, having previously raced for the squad in its Jaguar incarnation, and has benefited from its big leap forward to become a title contender this year - despite breaking his leg and shoulder in a winter cycling accident.

"I'm delighted that we have re-signed Mark for 2010," said team boss Christian Horner.

"He has continued to show huge commitment and determination this season, especially following his bike accident at the end of last year.

"His recent results show he is on the form of his life - most notably with his recent win at the German GP - and he has the motivation to deliver at the highest level. It was therefore a straightforward decision to extend the relationship.

"We believe that the driver line-up of Mark and Sebastian [Vettel] is one of the strongest in the sport."

Webber said he had always been keen to remain with the team, and hopes he can carry his current strong form into 2010.

"I'm extremely happy that Red Bull and I have been able to agree to race together again next year," he said.

"Even in the leaner and tougher years at the start of my relationship with the team, I've always enjoyed working with them, so now to go through this purple patch, which we hope will continue for a good while to come, makes the work even more enjoyable.

"We've got a very exciting finish to this year's championship, but I'm also looking forward to helping to develop and race the RB6 in the 2010 world championship."

Story - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77140

So it looks like Red Bull are keeping the same line-up for next year as Vettel is still under contract I believe.

I neither see any reason why Red Bull would have it any other way, nor any incentive for the drivers to change teams.