Silverstone Test June 19th

Steve Levin

Master of Disaster
Car(s)
Spec Racer Ford!
I was at Silverstone yesterday for the test as a guest of Spyker F1.

Pretty cool day...and sunny! Odd for England :)

I'll write more later...but here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of how cool the access was:

WebberPits.jpg

ferrari-pits.jpg

Steve

Shame Honda weren't there, would have been nice to see them up close.

Looking forward to some more photos. Congrats!!

BASTARDS :p

Have a look here for the pictures I took and a couple of short vids. Was a good day and was fun to be in the pits (got passes for Williams from a mate :)).

Thanks to Steve I also had a pass to Spyker's garage/pits, though he got much better shots than I did (I only had a lowly digital camera, not an SLR - excuse, excuses :p ). Having never been to an F1 event before it was an amazing day for me! (That's me in the black t-shirt in Steve's photo of the Ferrari)

We also had a tour of Spyker F1's factory (literally just across the road) which was enlightening and interesting too.

According to the man conducting the tour, this was from Adrian Sutil's accident at Monaco.

Last edited:
Good photos all, how did you manage to pick up passes?

Day 2 - Testing

News
Trulli fastest at rain-hit Silverstone

Wednesday, 20, June, 2007, 20:06

Toyota stayed on top of the timesheet as testing continued at Silverstone on Wednesday, this time with Jarno Trulli at the wheel.

After his team-mate Ralf Schumacher set the pace on Tuesday, Trulli posted a best lap of 1m21.420s on a rain-interrupted second day in Northamptonshire.

?In general it was a positive day even though it?s difficult to judge comparative performance because it?s always very windy here,? said the Italian.

?The morning went pretty well for us testing set-up and tyres and I felt pretty comfortable with the car.

?Then we change the suspension settings so we lost some time around the lunch break.

?After the rain in the afternoon we only had about a half an hour more of meaningful work.

?But this was just typical of the problems that we can face during testing.

?Overall the running I have been able to complete has been good so I would say that we are in reasonable shape here.?

Kimi Raikkonen was second fastest for Ferrari, just over 0.1s behind Trulli, as he carried out a mixture of development and set-up work on the F2007.

Alex Wurz took over the Williams from Kazuki Nakajima and clocked the third best time despite being hit by a hydraulic problem early in the afternoon.

McLaren's Pedro de la Rosa was fourth quickest despite an oil leak in the morning, while Renault?s Heikki Kovalainen was delayed by an engine change and finished fifth fastest.

?We have enjoyed two important days of testing,? said the Finn, who will hand over to Nelson Piquet Jr on Thursday.

?We didn?t do as many laps as we would have liked, but there were some very good tests even so.

?The car is more consistent to drive, and moving forward bit by bit.

?I think it?s an encouraging sign for the next few races.?

Red Bull Racing?s reliability woes continued as Mark Webber stopped on the circuit twice with engine-related problems and completed only 33 laps in the RB3.

RBR?s junior stable-mate Toro Rosso had a better day, Tonio Liuzzi setting the sixth best time and the new quick-shift gearbox running trouble-free.

BMW Sauber test driver Timo Glock amassed the day?s highest lap tally (84) as he carried out tyre, suspension development and aero work.

Adrian Sutil concentrated mainly on race set-up work for Spyker and was pleased with the balance of the F8-VII.

More rain is forecast for Thursday and the teams fear they may not complete their planned programmes before the test is scheduled to end.

Testing times from Silverstone (June 20)

1. TRULLI Toyota 1m21.420s

2. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m21.548s

3. WURZ Williams 1m21.904s

4. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m22.018s

5. KOVALAINEN Renault 1m22.119s

6. LIUZZI Toro Rosso 1m22.365s

7. WEBBER Red Bull 1m22.447s

8. GLOCK BMW 1m22.481s

9. SUTIL Spyker 1m23.228s

Source

Last edited:
De la Rosa? WTF? Where are Fernando and most importantly, Hamilton?

Last edited:
^ not all the drivers take part in the test, Lewis is not at all I believe. Pedro and Fernando do the majority of testing I think anyway, as they are much more experienced and can give very good feedback.

Sure, but the car has to fit Lewis's style, not Fernando's and de la Rosa's.

Hamilton is being given a break from testing by Ron as a precaution, he doesnt want him to get overwhelmed by the strong start he is having. Besides, its a 3 day test, DLR is their test driver and Fernando needs this test to have the team, and a fellow Spaniard, around him without Lewis-mania starting a week early in Silverstone.

Day 3 Testing Results

Day 3 Testing Results

Massa fastest on Silverstone final day

Thursday, 21, June, 2007, 20:48

Ferrari?s Felipe Massa marked his first and only appearance at Silverstone this week by finishing on top of the timesheet on Thursday as teams wrapped up their test at the circuit.

The Brazilian set the week?s benchmark time of 1m20.805s on a second successive rain-interrupted day at the Northamptonshire track, to outpace Williams? Nico Rosberg by over 0.4s.

Massa completed 87 laps as championship challenger Ferrari concluded its testing of new aerodynamic and mechanical parts on its F2007 car.

The Italian squad?s title rival McLaren finished third on the times, with Fernando Alonso making his only appearance of the week.

The double world champion completed just 58 laps due to an oil system problem early in the day before the rain came at lunchtime.

However team CEO Martin Whitmarsh was pleased with the overall results of the aero developments tested on the MP4-22 this week, ahead of the French Grand Prix on July 1.

?This week has seen us intensively testing the MP4-22 package, with work concentrating on aerodynamic improvements and brake material testing,? he said.

?Despite some inconvenient interruptions over the course of the three days ? mainly due to weather, we feel confident that we have achieved a good understanding of where we are in our preparations for the next set of back-to-back races in France and Britain, and despite being unable to complete the entire programme, the work we have done has been very effective at this crucial stage of the championship.?

World champions Renault?s programme was completed by the team?s test driver Nelson Piquet Junior and the Brazilian was the only driver to notch up over a century of laps (108 ), as he mainly focused on extensive tyre testing.

?In overall terms, this has been a productive and useful test,? said Renault?s chief test engineer Christian Silk

?We can see that we are making progress step by step, but the other teams are doing the same, and we know that this isn't the time to take our foot off the pedal!"

Pacesetter on the opening two days, Toyota slipped to fifth on Thursday with Jarno Trulli concentrating on tyre testing for next month?s British GP as well as doing other work on systems and suspension.

David Coulthard took over from team-mate Mark Webber in Red Bull?s RB3 cockpit, with the team keen to make up for lost time after Webber was hit by a series of mechanical problems on the opening two days.

The Scot completed 69 laps as RBR collected enough data to sign-off its new aero and suspension parts for the France-Britain double header.

BMW was another team happy with its week work, despite its test driver Timo Glock finishing the final day seventh on the times and over 1.6s off Massa?s pace.

Scott Speed was eighth for Toro Rosso after a power train failure, with Spyker?s Dutch duo of Christijan Albers Giedo van der Garde sharing the team?s F8-VII.

However both had their running time limited with Albers suffering an electrical problem in the morning, before his compatriot damaged the car's front suspension after spinning off on his first run later in the day.

Testing times from Silverstone (Thursday June 21)

1. MASSA Ferrari 1m20.805s

2. ROSBERG Williams 1m21.274s

3. ALONSO McLaren 1m21.284s

4. PIQUET JR Renault 1m21.357s

5. TRULLI Toyota 1m21.703s

6. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m21.933s

7. GLOCK BMW 1m22.456s

8. SPEED Toro Rosso 1m23.049s

9. ALBERS Spyker 1m23.374s

10. VAN DER GARDE Spyker 1m25.865s

Source