Sim City Reboot

Yeah I got in before and did manage to finish the tutorial. Of course EA's servers didnt find it worthy to record that and because apparently all customers of this game are retards, I'm now forced to undergo the tutorial again, as that is the only button I can push. EA may be responsible for the servers, but Maxis is responsible for making software that will appear dumbed down even to a two-year old.

Not like game developers have ever been forced by the publishers into altering their games.

I am so pissed with EA. I love the Simcity franchise, and this game seems to be a decent amount of fun, and I could even deal with the weird concept for several smaller cities instead of one huge, but this whole always-on and error-37-revival crap just makes me not wanna give those fuckers a damn cent for it.

So for now, fuck this game.
Which is the best SimCity game? Was it 4 that got stupidly complicated with it's subway and power lines?

Cities XL is supposed to be quite good. (clone, not a sim city game)

I'm not getting it unless they get rid of the always on-line restriction and make it possible to make cities as large as the regions. 2x2kms max? Villages are bigger than that.

Same. It's a shame that EA are so ready to destroy franchise after franchise.

Same. It's a shame that EA are so ready to destroy franchise after franchise.

It is really. It makes me wonder what The Sims 4 will be like if the new Sim City is any indication. That said, I also fell into EA's trap and purchased the game. I managed to play about two hours yesterday, but the servers kept going up and down like a yo-yo and it never saved any of my cities at all. I probably made about 5 new cities. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to.

I've managed to play it for about 6 hours and haven't had any connection issues, but from what I'm reading everywhere, I've been extremely lucky in that.

City size, well, sucks. There is no other word for it.

The fact that you can be a mayor of a region, so you have have a residential town, industrial/mining town and a tourism place. Well, in sandbox mode so you can add 100k with the press of two buttons lol

Which is the best SimCity game? Was it 4 that got stupidly complicated with it's subway and power lines?

People at r/games or r/simcity generally seem to like SimCity 4 the best with the NAM mod, which fixes a lot of the traffic problems. I haven't played SimCity 4 yet, but I plan to give it a try over the weekend.

I was ready to buy the new SimCity, but I wanted to wait to see how the servers would cope, good thing I did. I don't understand why every single game needs to have a social element/multiplayer these days. They should have made the social/online element an opt-in possibility for those interested rather force everyone into it. What's next? "Nice building you've done, share it on twitface" or "you can't build this unless you add five friends," "you need to wait 24 hours for this building to construct or pay real world cash to speed up the process unless 5 friends like your city." /rant

It is really. It makes me wonder what The Sims 4 will be like if the new Sim City is any indication.

I was thinking about that as well recently. If these recent trends are anything to go by, I'm afraid they'll just make The Sims into essentially a one big MMO.

Last edited:
i created a Finalgear region... 16 spots, add me on origin to get invited :) Origin: SmurfeN

EU west 2 server.. not sure if that matters?

edit: scratch that, eu west 3 :p

Last edited:
No more Cheetah mode as it causes too much stress to the servers. Nice.

i created a Finalgear region... 16 spots, add me on origin to get invited :) Origin: SmurfeN

EU west 2 server.. not sure if that matters?

i'll be playing on EU west 2 with a few friends as well... might come and take a look once i get bored with them :)

Yes, the servers matter. You can only play with people that are on the same server as you (kinda sucks). :glare:

All of my stuff is on NA West 1...

Fundamentally, SimCity has always been a 'software toy'. That means that there's no real end state, no way to win. It's just a thing that you play and experiment with. You build, and tinker, and mess around. It's a toy, not a game; it's a sandbox, not baseball.

So, in this iteration of the game, you don't even get to buy your toy. Rather, you rent a toy from EA, who lets you play with it only in very limited, circumscribed ways, only on their servers. So you have to have a live Internet connection at all times, and their servers have to be up, and have to have space for you. And the rules for play are draconian. If you want to, say, build a city, save it, blow it up with something terrible, and then restore from save, you can't do that anymore. That's an unauthorized usage of their toy. And if you figure out ways of using their toy that they don't like, they'll ban you forever.

All third-party modding is shut out. One of the best parts of SimCity 4 and The Sims is that users can create and share content among themselves for free. You will no longer be able to do this. You will be required to run only Official Authorized Content.

Further, you're not getting the whole game for your $60 or $80, depending on what version you're buying. EA's plan is to sell you Simcity 5 over and over and over. They've directly admitted that they already have it running with larger cities, but they're not releasing that now. They claim it's because it "won't run on Dad's PC", but the real reason is so they can sell it to you again later. Want subways? That's gonna be $20. Want railroads? Another $20. Bigger cities? Oh, that's in the $30 expansion.

Right now, if you look at The Sims 3, the game costs $30. But if also you buy all the DLC for it, it's *four hundred and seventy dollars*. This is what they are doing with SimCity 5; locking you into their server infrastructure, and then exploiting the heck out of your wallet.

This is a lousy deal, and you would be stupid to take it. Always-on DRM, and a deliberately crippled game, so that they can slowly uncripple it, charging you for every restored feature from prior versions.

Simcity 4 still works pretty well. It's not quite as nice as most current games, and can require you to 'pin' the process to just one processor on a multi-core system (ie, most current machines), but if you want a city builder where you won't have to pay extra to breathe both in AND out, that would be a better option.

But buying this game? In my opinion, you would be wiser to take three twenties out of your wallet, and light them on fire.

This guy is good.

Wanna ruin someones city? Well you can.
The game lets you place parks on other peoples cities, destroying their residential buildings in the process.

This is stupid. Game still doesnt work. Chargebaaaaack!

Stop posting cool looking stuff while I am still hating on EA and intending to not buy anytime soon and for sure not for anything near the full retail price (and no, not buying indian or russian keys either).