Simple Mexican/South American Starters and Deserts?

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
guys/gals

what's a simple mexican/south american
appetizer (entree/starter to euro's)
desert

Need to be simple to cook :O

(Previously in random thoughts)

I'm going with the time tested nacho's for the main :O

Also, vegetarian....

Makes things easy...

Last edited:
Seriously?

Dude, you can make all sorts of Latino food, it is really, REALLY easy. I mean, I know of this; I am married to one. Try harder for the main.

Seriously?

Dude, you can make all sorts of Latino food, it is really, REALLY easy. I mean, I know of this; I am married to one. Try harder for the main.

Open to suggestions :D

It's for a 25th b'day so I kinda want to get it right

Last edited:
In before nachos aren't Mexican.

Other ideas, Tamales, Empanadas, Tres Leches, Churros, Dulce de Leche.

Quesadillas are pretty easy to make as a starter. Maybe marinate some chicken in a tequila-lime marinade to add to the quesadillas.

For a main course, I like fajitas. Just get some fajita seasoning and a bottle of a good Mexican beer, let the beef/chicken/shrimp/mushrooms? marinate for about 12 hours, add some chopped veggies, slap 'em on the grill, and ?ya est?!

Vegetarian Latino food is not great, whereas their meats are exceptional. Asian food is by far the tastiest for veggies, as many ethnic groups have food culture evolved around vegetarianism.

Vegetarian Latino food is not great, whereas their meats are exceptional. Asian food is by far the tastiest for veggies, as many ethnic groups have food culture evolved around vegetarianism.

person who'se birthday it is, is an avid south american fan...

Vegiterean :S

That's why I suggested mushrooms for the fajitas. And your basic quesadilla is just cheese and tortillas; although I would be inclined to add some chopped peppers as well. But again, chips are salsa are a great appetizer. And so long as you have a food processor, you can make your own homemade salsa that will taste better than anything out of a jar.

person who'se birthday it is, is an avid south american fan...

How far are you from Fitzroy? There's a place on Johnston Street called Casa Iberica that has a lot of Latin food. Spain, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico, etc. Pay them a visit, tell them what you want to do, and see if the staff has any suggestions.

How far are you from Fitzroy? There's a place on Johnston Street called Casa Iberica that has a lot of Latin food. Spain, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico, etc. Pay them a visit, tell them what you want to do, and see if the staff has any suggestions.

I'll see if I get a chance to get out there but I only fly back into Au on Sunday morning and am cooking on Tuesday night (and I'm working Monday)

Appetizer: Queso dip. A block of Velveta cheese and can of Rotel tomatoes. Cut up cheese, drop in pan, open Rotel, dump on top of cheese. Heat, stir, eat with chips.
Beat me to it. And if they don't have Ro-Tel in .au, you can always use pre-made salsa/pico de gallo or mix together diced tomatoes with diced jalapenos.

Quesadillas or enchiladas seem like they'd be easy to make without meat, too.

Flan looks like a nice easy one, any ideas if I could cook it the night before?