Sister needs replacement car

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
So, her '06 Grand Cherokee turned out to be a bust. Leaks rainwater, radios dead, and the transmission is starting to eat itself alive.

She has cerebral palsy so cars that are low down to get into and high riding trucks are out of the question.

She's gotten used to having backup sensors so, preferably she would or need a car with at least that. If a backup camera is available, great.

She had an '01 Cherokee that she loved but doesn't want to go back to the stupid rear doors and no backup sensors.

Automatic is a must and no sunroofs if possible.

I suggested a fiesta but I can't remember if their entry is easy or at butt level where you can slide in.

At the moment I'm thinking a $9-10,000 price point. That's hoping it can be sold for an ok price considering the dealer they got it from charged 15k just last year.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I suggested a fiesta but I can't remember if their entry is easy or at butt level where you can slide in.
Does she have any mobility issues? Cars like the Fiestas (and most other compact 4-door vehicles) have door openings that are very short front-to-back, which can make getting into them a bit...ungraceful.

Kia Soul?

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)

She asked about a soul. I have no knowledge of reliability. They're not bad as a rental car. All I can say.

We'd have to try a fiesta and see if she would have issues.

Since Souls were popular rental cars, is there anything wrong with that?

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Oddly enough I was think of the Kia as well. Access should be good given the overall layout of the car, reversing sensors should be available and being 'Murica an auto is bound to be available. That or the Honda Fit maybe?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)

Before the grand Cherokee we looked at those, Level. They hold their value insanely well. That's not to say it's impossible. She just doesn't want to drive more than an hour away. She actively avoids interstates because she gets overwhelmed.

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Are 2011 Kia Sportage's bad? I know of the engine recall but, that's a free replacement if they find bits or excessive wear.

What about 2010 V6 Escapes? I know the 4 bangers have fire problems...

I think price range is going to be max $10,000.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Are 2011 Kia Sportage's bad? I know of the engine recall but, that's a free replacement if they find bits or excessive wear.

What about 2010 V6 Escapes? I know the 4 bangers have fire problems...

I think price range is going to be max $10,000.
Hyundai/Kia have extended the warranty on vehicles with affected engines...the thing is, can you find a last gen Sportage for 10k without a buttload of miles on it?

Avoid the Fiesta - that dry DCT can be temperamental, you don't want it outside of warranty.

The Escape shoooould be ok by 2010 - I looked at pre 2nd refresh models but Spectre turned me away due to the transmission on those - the 2010 uses a different (hopefully better) trans, the shared GM/Ford unit in a buttload of stuff. Although a camera was available, you'll have a easier time finding a Escape of this vintage with parking sensors but no camera.

Why not the Soul though? That'll be a lot easier to find for 10k. Don't worry about it being popular with fleets, that can prove to be an advantage and you could always find one that was privately owned.

Besides, by 2010, the Escape was also similar rental fodder. That reminds me, don't forget about platform mates that may be better equipped with similar prices (Mercury Mariner) or cheaper but more basic (Mazda Tribute)

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)

Yeah, there's a few sportages with mileage around 100k. Slightly high but not horrible... both the escape she found and sportage have pretty basic gear but they're both AWD. She mentioned soul, escape had blue teeth which was nice. They're or bad drivers, I've had a couple and find them decent but lack trunk space. Not awful for what she does. We're ditching focus/Fiesta idea because my brother wouldn't shut up about that DCT issue, his wife owns a '14 and they've already had the transmission replace after a transmission reflash didn't fix the issue and they're running into problems again sadly.

Radio's fixed in the Jeep, bad amplifier in the drivers trunk trim panel apparently. So now we're on to selling it.

Last edited:

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Hyundai/Kia have extended the warranty on vehicles with affected engines...the thing is, can you find a last gen Sportage for 10k without a buttload of miles on it?

Avoid the Fiesta - that dry DCT can be temperamental, you don't want it outside of warranty.

The Escape shoooould be ok by 2010 - I looked at pre 2nd refresh models but Spectre turned me away due to the transmission on those - the 2010 uses a different (hopefully better) trans, the shared GM/Ford unit in a buttload of stuff. Although a camera was available, you'll have a easier time finding a Escape of this vintage with parking sensors but no camera.
The 2010 Escape's trans wasn't a lot better, as it turns out. The 6F35 has turned out to be quite problematic in those Escapes; not as bad as the CD4E, but not far from it.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Are Hyundai Santa Fe's any good? It looks like similar age to the Escapes shows almost identical pricing.
I don't recall hearing anything (other than the aforementioned engine issues, which Hyundai will cover) going show-stoppingly bad with them on a regular basis. If possible, get one that's Certified Pre-Owned from a Hyundai dealer to get the rest of the 10/100 warranty on it. You can't get that with a private sale.