Site Suggestions

This isn't a suggestion, but a question. What font is used for this site? I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Thanks.

This isn't a suggestion, but a question. What font is used for this site? I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Thanks.
Homepage? Forums?

And it's all in the stylesheets.

My suggestion is to put polls in every thread in the Specific Episode section. A simple way of rating the episodes.

My suggestion is to put polls in every thread in the Specific Episode section. A simple way of rating the episodes.

I suggested this many months ago and it got ignored for some reason.

I suggested this many months ago and it got ignored for some reason.
Well, it'd be a lot of work. I may have to wait until the site is redesigned and I add in code that automatically creates the threads.

Well, it'd be a lot of work. I may have to wait until the site is redesigned and I add in code that automatically creates the threads.

I'm not trying to be an ass but how is it any harder than adding a poll to any thread? It would only be once or twice a week. Or are the threads automatically created, thus making it difficult to add a poll.

We have to go through and manually add polls to each thread.. Thats about 186 polls to create and add to posts.

I would only expect you to do it for new episodes, I never even thought about you putting it on older episodes.

I had some ideas about polls aswell.
It'd be a great thing to have a nice poll embedded into every specific episode discussion thread, and then its results linked to the episode descriptions and probably other items (e.g. "the rip is out" announcements etc).

I see it like this: there definitely must be a handsome vb voting plugin, not necessarily a thread-caption-based form, but an embeddable one, the one you could insert into a message (many messages). Thus the very same (still logged-in-users-only policy driven) voting can be put into the discussion thread, onto the main page etc. Then there will be a cute little voting results bar retrievement backend, which would allow to insert small result snippets (visualised as stars or whatever) into any other post/item. IRC bot could also have some means to fetch the stats.

This will allow for something like "Yay! A new episode of Top Gear is out, and it's currently rated [a nice bar saying 9.3/10] by our users!".

I can imagine it's going to be quite a hassle to couple wordpress (or whatever the main page runs), vbulletin and other stuff, since i know a thing or two about webcoding, but i personally think such system would be great.

As a side-note, i definitely vote for a 10-point voting system. 5 has always been cheesy :)

Last edited:
-1 to front page voting. I'd say 95% of users on the front page aren't logged into the forums, so the poll would just probably confuse them.

Not opposed to showing the poll results on the front page though, but that will have to wait until the new version of the site gets decided on and coded as I'll be adding in code to automatically create the threads here. When it does, it can take note of the thread ID and use it to fetch the poll results, if possible.

Actually, with front page voting i contradicted myself really. I just couldn't think of more places in the forums to put voting forms into, from the top of my head. But there definitely should be some.

The general idea was to take some sort of rather independant voting engine and only bind it to existing user ID checks. This would allow to have the same synchronized voting forms in different threads. Let's say in the end of a series one just puts together an annual "End of series voting spree" thread, where everyone can vote or, even better, change their votes based on overall impressions. Thus a main unique id would be the voting form ID, but sure you can automate the process of creating one whenever you announce a new ep discussion thread.

The changeable votes policy will most likely be argued, but while i have quite a strict opinion on content editing myself, i thought it'd be appropriate to allow one to change their opinion. People mature :)

Edit:
Then again, binding every episode voting to a specific series would provide average series popularity figures etc. One could also populate the results with TV ratings provided by upyourego.
The idea is to make the thing flexible ;)

Last edited:
The idea is to make the thing flexible ;)

And complex apparently. :?

I think the current system is fine considering the amount of work involved for what I consider little, if no, gain.

I don't quite know the best thread to put this in and I don't know if it's already been mentioned elsewhere but:

Would it be possible to put the 'image upload' option in with the 'Go Advanced' section of the 'edit post' page?

Would it be possible to put the 'image upload' option in with the 'Go Advanced' section of the 'edit post' page?

Done.

I remember a short while ago the first episodes of TG (Season 1 + 2) were re-recorded at a better quality... how about continuing this and doing seasons 3 + 4?

I'm sure im not the only person looking for better rips of the older seasons... i have downloaded season's 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 (took a while) and now looking for better rips of the missing seasons...

how 'bout it??

How about adding a sort of search function, with which you can search for a specific car, and it will show you in what episodes of Top Gear / Fifth Gear that car appeared?

For example: I search for the Aston Martin DB9, and then it shows me that that car appeared in the race against the train (Top gear, don't know what episode it is)

How about adding a sort of search function, with which you can search for a specific car, and it will show you in what episodes of Top Gear / Fifth Gear that car appeared?

For example: I search for the Aston Martin DB9, and then it shows me that that car appeared in the race against the train (Top gear, don't know what episode it is)

http://guides.finalgear.com/