skiing/snowboarding

skiing/snowboarding

• Total voters
Twin tips are a laugh and a half. There's nothing like streaking past a couple of snowboarders sitting down in front of a jump trying to psyche themselves up for it and throwing down. You guys on the one plank do have more comfortable boots, though...

^:lol: I love my twin tips.

Twin tips are a laugh and a half. There's nothing like streaking past a couple of snowboarders sitting down in front of a jump trying to psyche themselves up for it and throwing down. You guys on the one plank do have more comfortable boots, though...

So you're the one who is always snaking me!

I kid. I do usually stop just to make sure no one else is dropping though. Unless the group of kids are idiots and all sitting way too close to have enough speed.

edit: That is what I like about riding alone though. I can just flow from one feature to the next without ever stopping. Riding with friends is a blast because we encourage each other to try new things. It is slower though as we're always stopping to see how everyone else does.

We do have comfortable boots and the benefit that our gear doesn't end up all over the place when we crash. Skiers will always have me trumped on speed though.

Last edited:
skiing of course!
i've learned basics of snowboarding, but it's SO boring.. + i find most of snowboarders simply said - posers.. skiing has always been an olympic sport..

One thing I do envy of boarders: Their boots.

For once, I'd like to be able to get down a flight of stairs without tripping over myself and looking like I'm walking on stilts. Why can't ski boot makers make their boots more accomodating to wear? Not to mention they weigh like a brick when tied on to my feet.

Ah, comes with the territory I suppose.

Last edited:
because you'd break your ankles and/or cross skis doing 3km/h..

So you're the one who is always snaking me!

I kid. I do usually stop just to make sure no one else is dropping though. Unless the group of kids are idiots and all sitting way too close to have enough speed.

edit: That is what I like about riding alone though. I can just flow from one feature to the next without ever stopping. Riding with friends is a blast because we encourage each other to try new things. It is slower though as we're always stopping to see how everyone else does.

We do have comfortable boots and the benefit that our gear doesn't end up all over the place when we crash. Skiers will always have me trumped on speed though.

Yeah as an ex-racer, speed's easily the #1 priority for me. My main pair of skis are Salomon Slalom Race Stock from about 3 years ago, the twin tips are decidedly my rock skis. And I try not to snake anyone, but it happens from time to time :) You know how it is.

Tried bording for a few days when I was about 15 because my best friend wanted me to learn with her, and she had a way of getting me to do anything she wanted (I think it was probably the flirting, now that I think about it). Since then I have regained my sanity and stuck to skis, which I learned to use almost as soon as I could walk, and feel completely natural on. I finally got my first chance to ski this season (live 1.5 hours away from Tahoe now), and I think I'll be spending much of my weekend time up there. Luckily my wife loves skiing as much as I do, which makes it easy to persuade her to spend our weekend driving up to the cold.

I figure I'll try snowboarding again when I have kids who want to learn, but until then I'll stick to bombing down black diamonds with the right number of planks. Two.

I'm meant to be snowboarding up in Scotland tomorrow - best snow we've had in a decade for winter sports - but, ironically, it looks like it's going to be cancelled due to snow.

Facepalm. The snow is blocking the roads and the rails up there.

I prefer using my legs independently, so snowboard follows behind.

Tried it for a day, but felt somewhat captured. Maybe the snow was too hard and time too short.

I learnt skiing in Oberhausen, had an hour or so with an instructor. Afterwards I didn't fell off anymore but couldn't gain any speed.
But that changed when I encountered a real hill. Maybe I should try a mountain next time.

Ski boots can be as comfortable as snowboard boots you just have to spend $600+... I didn't and my feet hurt but whatever. That feeling after skiing when you get to take your boots off is like nothing else, it's almost the only reason I ski.

As for twin tips, LOVE THEM. Except all my friends have em too so we just spray snow at each other and its basically a race to see who can stay infront.

Anyone here ski fernie? they have had some crazy epic days this year last weekend they had 20+ new cm every night.

I have a killy ski jacket which I found, what I thought was a ski-hat built into the collar in a discrete pocket.

Tried to use it today, it?s not a woolly hat but a secret ninja balaclava. :ninja:

I have a killy ski jacket which I found, what I thought was a ski-hat built into the collar in a discrete pocket.

Tried to use it today, it?s not a woolly hat but a secret ninja balaclava. :ninja:

Yep. A lot of the really expensive stuff (Killy, Bogner, Kjus, et al) these days just builds that stuff into the jacket for practicality's sake.

I was checking out the website for some of the other mountains around Park City, UT and I saw this...What is this guy doing? At first I thought it was just a crazy snowboarder but then I noticed his left foot...

Still just a snowboarder. He just unstrapped one foot to do the trick. I don't much care for one-footed tricks. Most of them just end up looking awkward instead of stylish. They're generally harder than they look though.

I didn't notice this thread before, but there's a good reason for that.

The first time I went snowboarding was coincidentally the same day the OP started this thread. Whilst on my last run of the day, I also managed to pull an epic faceplant and royally screw up my face. Thank goodness all was well (minor concussion and amnesia) and coincidentally the last scab came off the day before school started again. I healed up in just over a week. Overall, it was an amazing experience. I liked it much better than skiing which I've done a few times. I'd LOVE to go again, just hopefully not get injured this time around. :lol:

Went skiing last saturday; came back bruised and battered. There were a ton of moguls and small jumps everywhere that I tried to take going as fast as I could. Needless to say I was skiing on my face for a good portion of the day. I also managed to get on a 12'-tall rock and then proceeded to fall into the bushes. Next day I was sore, lots of bruises, ski pants ripped, and a huge cut on my leg from when I fell and landed on what I assume was my ski pole. Had the time of the my life though!

^ Top man!
"Mostly flat on my face" is exactly how I ski moguls as well. :lol:

They show up my piss poor technique and get me well angry. Have tried with ski school classes and a personal ski instructor, but I am still useless at moguls. Grrr. :mrgreen:

I prefer boarding (snow/skate/wake) to having both my feet on different "vehicles". Something about the potential for splits that gets to me. Can't wait to go again, cos I live in the tropics.