Sleeper Thread

Those sleepers don't really work here in Germany, because we do not have those traffic light drag races. Our traffic lights are usually switched in a "green wave" road, which means once you have a greenlight, it stays green all the way down the road, as long as you maintain the right speed.

And on the Autobahn rear view mirror image is everything. When you aren't recognized as "Yup, he's faster than me", no one will move over to let you pass, no matter how quick you are at overtaking them.

That's the reason, why everyone is making room for you, when you are in a big Mercedes: It is clearly recognizable as such. Mercedeses still have different faces, which can be identified in the rear view mirror.

However, no one will move over to let you pass, when you are in an Audi, because in the mirror you have no feeling for the size of a car's front and therefore no one is able to tell, if it's an A3, A4, A5, A6, A7 or A8 -- or even an RS6. They all look the same and have the same proportions in their "faces". BMW is bound to make the same mistake, btw. I cannot tell a 3-Series from a new 5er or 7er at first glance, when it comes from behind.

An S-Class, however, cannot be mixed up with an A-Class, a B-Class or even an E-Class. That's why they all make room for you, when you close up in an S-Class from behind. One of the reasons, why I prefer that car on the Autobahn over the competitors :D

Such sleepers therefore are no fun on the "Bahn" here, since they'll have a hard time convincing even a Smart driver to make room for them and are constantly being cut off by Golfs and Astras. Sleepers are only good for show events.
That's only a problem if you follow silly German laws of not undertaking :p

AMG cars are usually brilliant - most people do not know what they are too and you have to be a dick to get the attention of the rozzers. Big tail pipe and a scooby impretza always attracts them.

Autech 260rs, basically a Nissan Stagea with the RB26, drivetrain, brakes etc off the R33 GT-R.

1998-Nissan-Stagea-Autech-260RS_01.jpg

Autech 260rs, basically a Nissan Stagea with the RB26, drivetrain, brakes etc off the R33 GT-R.

1998-Nissan-Stagea-Autech-260RS_01.jpg

right beneath the RS2 on my list of "wangons i most want to own in my life"

I too love the Stagea, wished it would have came here.

Such sleepers therefore are no fun on the "Bahn" here, since they'll have a hard time convincing even a Smart driver to make room for them and are constantly being cut off by Golfs and Astras. Sleepers are only good for show events.

Sleepers are great for 'Bahn shenanigans. Not for being let through, yes - but for making fun of people trying to get through. If you car looks slow people will come up close behind, flash their headlights, indicate left, etc. - drop a few cogs, floor it, leave them for dead, ???, profit. See the Insignia below, babybomber FTW :nod:

[video=youtube;A-MoOxQINk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MoOxQINk8[/video]

No no no you got it wrong. You treat the limit as the opposite of proof on alcohol. You always double what it says :p
Sleepers are great for 'Bahn shenanigans. Not for being let through, yes - but for making fun of people trying to get through. If you car looks slow people will come up close behind, flash their headlights, indicate left, etc. - drop a few cogs, floor it, leave them for dead, ???, profit. See the Insignia below, babybomber FTW
Oooh look Fail Wheel Drive....

Last edited:
Sleepers are great for 'Bahn shenanigans. Not for being let through, yes - but for making fun of people trying to get through. If you car looks slow people will come up close behind, flash their headlights, indicate left, etc. - drop a few cogs, floor it, leave them for dead, ???, profit. See the Insignia below, babybomber FTW :nod:

[video=youtube;A-MoOxQINk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MoOxQINk8[/video]

Yeah, but... you know... in reality it simply doesn't work that way. Especially, when you're not only driving for fun and to humiliate BMW 5ers but to actually go somewhere.

Besides, I'm not so much talking about cars from behind but the cars in front of you.

The reality is, that the cars in front of you prevent you from simply kicking down the pedal. They have to get out of the way and if the right lane only contains small gaps, they only move over, when they believe you can pass them without them having to slow down.

Last edited:
Yeah, but... you know... in reality it simply doesn't work that way. Especially, when you're not only driving for fun and to humiliate BMW 5ers but to actually go somewhere.

Besides, I'm not so much talking about cars from behind but the cars in front of you.

The reality is, that the cars in front of you don't enable you to simply kick down the pedal. They have to get out of the way and if the right lane only contains small gaps, they only move over, when they believe you can pass them without them having to slow down.

Yeah I know what you were talking about, after all I had a VW Fox for a few years... merely bringing a different aspect of unseeming cars onto the table.

The key to getting past quickly and efficiently is to look fast from a distance. Then they won't notice the Skoda badge until after they moved over :lol:

I'd also not consider that M6 a sleeper, even with its mild power bump :tease:

Well a 6 series is NEVER a sleeper, not sure what you get in EU but I have never seen anything lower than a 650 on the road here.