Sleeper Thread

Stop comparing EUDM versions I don't speak (or read) German so I go by US figures. Its around 600lbs difference.

There is no US 630i, where should I get US figures on that from?
Also, where did you get figures on that from?

Well, since everyone still thinks both Cadillacs and wagons are all slow cars only driven by the elderly...

Cadillac-CTS-V-Sport-Wagon-2.jpg

The problem with the W8 is it would still be blasted by a stock V8 Mustang at the time. There is the bar, can a sleeper beat a douchenozzle in a contemporary base V8 Mustang. :p

4619105150_6834ca26e6_z.jpg

I was comparing 650 to Z4 30

Why would you do that?
With German versions that would come up as almost 1000lbs difference. For US versions that comparison yields over 1000lbs difference.
You didn't compare the 6 coupe with the Z4, right? That'd be quite unfair towards the covertible.

The problem with the W8 is it would still be blasted by a stock V8 Mustang at the time. There is the bar, can a sleeper beat a douchenozzle in a contemporary base V8 Mustang. :p

That bar is troublesome. IMO sleepers are much faster than they look. If the car looks very slow (old Passat), a moderately quick engine (a W8) would suffice to turn it into a sleeper. If the car looks a bit faster you'd have to make the car faster to qualify as sleeper.

Last edited:
here's some sleeper action by "pro tour gsx" from v8buick forums :mrgreen:

pro tour gsx said:
i hang out with a bunch of guys that race on sunday nights and this guy showed up and said he would race any thing so i told him my grandmother let me take her old buick out lets race.we have a marked 1/4 mile the big sign is the end i let of at 130 looks like he went to 180.but i won he paid and walked away pissed. the car is a mercedeces benz v12 twin turbo 604 hp 705tq they run mid to high 11s

Runs 12 flat in the 1/4 mile. N/A 1.1

This guy comes out to our drags regularly, it's a Grand Voyager with a breathed-on SRT4 drivetrain bolted in. With stock wheels it looks 100% vanilla until he opens it up.

Random question: what is it about the Corvette's V8 that makes it the go-to engine for anyone looking to do a swap?

Random question: what is it about the Corvette's V8 that makes it the go-to engine for anyone looking to do a swap?

Being a pushrod engines means it is compact (see my sig for an example of this) and is relatively light due to its aluminum construction. A typical Japaneses 4 pot weighs as much as the moon so swapping in an LSx isn't a big weight hit. The LSx is also a corporate engine so there are about a million of them around.

Last edited:
Why would you do that?
With German versions that would come up as almost 1000lbs difference. For US versions that comparison yields over 1000lbs difference.
You didn't compare the 6 coupe with the Z4, right? That'd be quite unfair towards the covertible.
I did coupe 6 yes, keep in mind that a 650i COUPE is only .3 of a second faster to 60 than the Z4 convertible. It weighs around 600lbs more and has 100HP more, I don't see how this is unfair to the convertible. You are talking a 100HP difference that in the end amounts to nothing (if we are talking normal red light race that small difference in performance will never come up as a factor).
Pretty much what argatoga said. Just want to add that the motor makes quite a bit of power stock and is very easy to tune with extensive aftermarket support.

Last edited:

So this assumes that a contemporary base V8 Mustang is (relatively speaking) slow. Could a "sleeper-sleeper" then be considered to be a fast "contemporary base V8 Mustang"?

My bone-stock exterior (save for a slightly more functional GT500 spoiler)

33tnrqo.jpg

+

The Christmas present:

2hdyy54.jpg

About 470/440 at the rear wheels. The greatest supercharger whine I've heard.

[video=youtube;bSgEcX_4o-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgEcX_4o-k&feature=related[/video]
(not me...)

Last edited:
So this assumes that a contemporary base V8 Mustang is (relatively speaking) slow. Could a "sleeper-sleeper" then be considered to be a fast "contemporary base V8 Mustang"?
I think, if I am interpreting argatoga correctly, he means that it has to be faster than an "average" sports car. By average meaning that it would be something that a large number of people could realistically afford. IIRC a 2011 GT is around 30K (32 maybe? too lazy to look up) for the base model. This makes it a fairly decent baseline as it is a car people could afford that has good performance.

So this assumes that a contemporary base V8 Mustang is (relatively speaking) slow.

Not at all. A Jetta with a 0-60 time of 6 seconds by modern standards isn't impressive. One that can keep up or beat a modern V8 Mustang is.