Slow news day: Buick has a redesigned logo

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
buick-wildcat-ev-concept-002-1654545883.jpg

Lamest logo redesign ever?

I find it interesting that the Buick logo is still red, white and blue even in China.

Lamest logo redesign ever?

I actually rather like this… :|
I’m not too familiar with the US market, but it doesn’t look too similar to anything else, it’s still sort of minimalist and not too intrusive. If I wanted to find fault with it, I’d say it could be a bit “busy” with three of those shields around everywhere. Then again, it gives the option of going down to one (w/o color) in strategically chosen places.

Good.

Now, about the cars it's attached to...

I still think the Peugeot one is worse than any of these. It's supposed to be reminiscent of the old one from the 1960s but it's so massively over-simplified, flat and boring.

1960s vs. New
1654588550994.png
1654588575840.png

Edit: Every time I look at the word Peugeot it looks more and more wrong and unfamiliar. :unsure:

Now, about the cars it's attached to...

This. I showed the logo to Mrs B and asked her if she thought the new logo would bring in buyers under the age of 90. To which she replied a succinct, "No."

What is their current lineup? I don't even know. Do they still have that shit little crossover? The one that eats turbos. Surely there's some FWD thing that shares it underpinnings with the Malibu or some such. I know they got rid of the only thing I had been interested in from Buick, that rebadged Opel wagon.

I think the hard part is that American brands focused so hard on "making it as an American in a post war world" that now we're past WW2, life continues on. What's next? What direction does a middle luxury brand such as Buick do now? I imagine Buick sells well with the Chinese because, like the rest of world, people think the US is exactly how it was depicted in movies and videos about the 50s and 60s. Which it isn't, so what now?

They reexamine and offer actually interesting vehicles on market segments which have loads of volume. Then you make a halo car.

It went rather well the last time they tried it

1654622143838.jpeg

You build a extremely bigoted capitalist system around those ideas that will surely remain stable and functional into perpetuity.

It's not that, it's moreso the ideals of: it's all looking up, everything's great, you're young, you just got married and you signed onto a beautiful cookie cutter suburban house with a yard. You're working your way up in 'Murican Business Inc. and now you want a nice car to show off your success. But since you're not quite upper management, you don't want a standard Chevroleyyy, you look to Buicks. Mmm, nice isn't it? Just the right amount of luxury without the extras."

Something depicted like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qItGQFpuM

Do they still have that shit little crossover? The one that eats turbos.

Looks like it not only is around still, they even gave it a facelift. Meanwhile over here, Opel/Vauxhall under Stellantis came out with a totally new model that looks schnazzy and is available as an EV.

1654628292166.png

As usual I'm drifting away from the topic, but here's an older Opel crossover conceived using Peugeot bits during the "we're still GM, we promise!" years. They spent €2 gluing the new Stellantis Opel corporate face on and it just looks so horrendous.

1654628566217.png

Looks like it not only is around still, they even gave it a facelift. Meanwhile over here, Opel/Vauxhall under Stellantis came out with a totally new model that looks schnazzy and is available as an EV.

View attachment 3565265
I saw one of these the other day, caught me off guard. I like it.

I didn't realise they had stopped making the Insignia as a Buick.

I saw one of these the other day, caught me off guard. I like it.

I didn't realise they had stopped making the Insignia as a Buick.

I like the new Mokka too and I'm not ashamed about it. I like the new Opel/Vauxhall styling over all. The Astra is excellent too.

I read somewhere that Insignia production is ending right now. Makes sense to get rid of GM as soon as possible.