Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
291mcyh.jpg

2q9j600.jpg

2laesl0.jpg

255uwcm.jpg

2r2b0ab.jpg

http://www.netcarshow.com/smart/2010-escooter_concept/

:cool:

Since I have a short commute I probably could do well with an electric scooter, but this seems a bit... hipster. And my undying hatred of Apple and all their products makes an iPhone instrument cluster a deal breaker.

I can totally not see your iphone/ipod getting nicked sitting in traffic or it getting wet.

Make it Android-compatible and we'll talk.

It's a cheap Chinese electric scooter that they saved even more money on by dumping the instrument cluster and using your iPhone/iPod instead.

What idiot would buy this?

I would have no problem with a cute electric scooter since where I would use a scooter would be the worst milage areas anyway but made by smart who sells 2 seat plastic things for almost as much as a fiesta it's got to be overpriced and WTF with the ipod. Who in their right mind would buy a scooter with a touch screen? Especially apple's! You either need to buy special equipment that barely works or use some part of your skin to operate it so forget riding it in the winter because you won't be able to operate the damn thing without special gloves. I won't even use my ipod touch in my car for music never mind on a scooter for important readouts. Fuck that shit, what the hell was wrong with buttons and switches?

Yeah, what's up with the stupid scooters today?

I think that it has to do with lowering the average CO2 emissions to reach the EU mandated fleet average of 130 g/km. If they use this to balance out more powerful cars in the future it could actually be a good thing.

I would have no problem with a cute electric scooter since where I would use a scooter would be the worst milage areas anyway but made by smart who sells 2 seat plastic things for almost as much as a fiesta it's got to be overpriced and WTF with the ipod. Who in their right mind would buy a scooter with a touch screen? Especially apple's! You either need to buy special equipment that barely works or use some part of your skin to operate it so forget riding it in the winter because you won't be able to operate the damn thing without special gloves. I won't even use my ipod touch in my car for music never mind on a scooter for important readouts. Fuck that shit, what the hell was wrong with buttons and switches?

If you use actual leather gloves, the capacitance-based touchscreens on iProducts work just fine. I use mine with my motorcycle gloves on all the time.

And if you're not wearing leather gloves while riding, you're an IDIOT. Gloves are one area where the synthetics are at a distinct disadvantage.

Last edited:
Huh. My leather gloves didn't. I wonder why. Still wouldn't want to try a idumb with gloves anyway with it's itty controls. I'd hit all the wrong things and make it turn itself off at 40 or something.

Huh. My leather gloves didn't. I wonder why. Still wouldn't want to try a idumb with gloves anyway with it's itty controls. I'd hit all the wrong things and make it turn itself off at 40 or something.

I don't find the iProduct controls to be tiny - that said, I sure wouldn't want to try to do anything with it while the scooter is in motion - and what happens if you get a phone call? :p

On the plus side, you might be more easily able to get away with speeding.

Last edited:
"I'm sorry officer but my badly designed scooter decided to play solitaire instead of be a speedo"

Wait is that the speedo on there? Does it really only go 50 kmph D: That is only like 30! That's not even fast enough for the speed limit on a great deal of major streets!

I want to punch the first person seen riding this. In fact, they should make that legal.

"I'm sorry officer but my badly designed scooter decided to play solitaire instead of be a speedo"

Wait is that the speedo on there? Does it really only go 50 kmph D: That is only like 30! That's not even fast enough for the speed limit on a great deal of major streets!

I'm thinking of speeding through 25mph and lower areas with it. Not that you would speed much, come to think of it, because none of those electric scooters have decent range at street speeds. The one my neighbor has runs out of charge just running a five mile loop. It's pretty funny - especially when it takes hours for it to charge up enough to move again. It's claimed to have a 20 mile range... at 15mph. At 35, which is what's needed on the roads, not so much.

Edit: Went and looked, found this at the original link.
The smart eScooter has a top speed of 45 km/h. The traction current is supplied by a state-of-the-art, 48-volt lithium-ion battery pack. Thanks to the battery's capacity of 80 Ah, ranges of up to 100 kilometres are possible. The eScooter can be charged at any standard household power socket, within three to five hours. The charging socket is stored at the front of the scooter underneath a hinged smart emblem, while the charger itself is integrated in the scooter.

It has a TOP speed, best case scenario, of 28mph. In other words, it's going to get run over by absolutely everything on the American surface street - and even many Euro streets. Will it even move if you have two adults on it?

Also explains how they can claim it's got decent range. Suffice it to say, in the real world, it won't get that range because I guarantee it's not rated for that long at WOT. And you'll need to run it at WOT so you won't die.

Last edited:
Well if it's that slow maybe you don't need the gloves after all :lmao: You might be able to do that with a bicycle down a steep hill.

It is limited to 45 km/h because it seems to be aimed to European market, and in Europe the top speed of moped scooter can be 45 km/h at max. If it did go faster, it would be classed as motorcycle.

At least it looks kinda cool.

Other than that, nope.

It is limited to 45 km/h because it seems to be aimed to European market, and in Europe the top speed of moped scooter can be 45 km/h at max. If it did go faster, it would be classed as motorcycle.

Even the more powerful electric scooters sold here don't go much faster. Or if they do, they have a battery life measured in minutes. My neighbor's tops out at about 38-40mph, which is enough to keep up with traffic, but the battery life at that speed is laughable.