Smart Phone recommendation.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Ok, I may take this chance to opt out of my Verizon contract and upgrade to a SmartPhone with T-Mobile.

I'm looking for something that will let me manage appointments, check web-based email (G-mail, Hotmail), use MSN and other messaging, Text message.

Oh, and make calls.

There are several options from Blackberry and the T-Mobile Wing. Does anyone have any experience with any of the ones offered from T-Mobile?

AN IPHONE! :evil:

/:p
//Icey's not gonna like this, :lol:
///Isn't the iPhone with AT&T?
////I'm Australian, so hey, I have no idea.
/////How about this one Blind?
//////More info about smart phones here.
///////I'd get the Nokia N95, it's pretty awesome.

Umm.. well I like the iPhone a lot and it does a lot you mention there. The E-Mail is very nice and that is the feature i like the most. But that means you have to go ATT but you said you are opting out of your contract so you could go ATT =P
Otherwise I like the HTC Touch (I think they call it the T-Mobile Shadow ?- Sage and/or Wing).
I did not like Windows Mobile on my Treo 750, and they are all WM phones. But the one blackberry i used i hated more.

While I like the idea of an iPhone, I'm not going with AT&T. They treated me like crap when I was with them last, their service in the bay area sucks balls and there is no way in hell I am going to pay full retail price for a phone and have to sign up for a 5 year contract.

I'm actually surprised this thread posted at all, my parents' Wi-Fi sucks, I didn't think it went through.

I just called Verizon to see if they would swap out my Razr for another model (it's been swapped twice since August) and they told me to sit and spin. I could either buy a phone on eBay, sign up for another contract (never!), or they could swap out my Razr for another refurbished one (again). They guy even said that they have lots of problems with the Razr, but they won't change it out for the one they give away for free. Bastards.

Consumer reports recommends T-Mobile. I have not used them before, but everyone I know on them loves 'em.

Consumer reports recommends T-Mobile. I have not used them before, but everyone I know on them loves 'em.

Im using T-mobile as well, they have crap reception.

With Sprint you can get these:

Palm Centro - $99
Palm Treo 700wx - $199
Palm Treo 755p - $249
Moto Q9c - $149
Moto Q - $149
Blackberry 8703e - $149
Blackberry 7130e - $149
Blackberry Pearl 8130 - $199
Blackberry 8830 - $199
HTC Touch - $249
HTC Mogul - $299

I've never really used any of these personally, so I would look for reviews on Phonescoop. You can compare phones on that site too.

The plans I can get you:

500 minutes - $30.00
1250 minutes - $49.99
2500 minutes - $99.99

All plans include:

Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
Domestic Long Distance
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
Unlimited Web/Data Access
Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
Unlimited Text Messaging

For Blackberry phones you'll need to add $30 to any of those plans I listed above, so I really don't recommend one (unless you want push email).

www.gsmarena.com is a great site as well we use it at work regularly, id probly look at a HTC ttyn 2 or a touch, havent really been a fan of the blackberries really and we found they arent that reliable, ive sold 2 to blackberry pearls recently and basically one has been faulty and the other the customer who is a regular has said its a bit of a hassle to use.

Keep away from the older n95 with the 8gb version out which is a definate improvement

I've got about 8 months of experience with the HTC Trinity 100 (HTC p3600). My thoughts on it: (i've used Windows Mobile 6 on it for 6 out of those 8 months)
Pluses:
- Touchscreen is nice and bright
- good sound quality (phone)
- Easy to set up sync with Outlook, dunno about other clients
- Pretty good web-browser, most sites are viewable, even the ones without PDA-specific websites.
- Easy-to use calendar.
- OK-ish battery life (with normal use it lasts between 4-7 days)
- Good GPS receiver

Minuses:
- HSDPA data connections tend to screw up incoming and outgoing calls (obfix: switch off hsdpa :()
- Incoming calls are barred when battery is critical
- When the screen is turned on, battery life is appalling (4-6 hours)
- On-screen-keyboard and handwriting recognition are slower than a well-tuned T9 for messaging (i don't really mind, but it's something worth mentioning)
- It can get a bit sluggish when multitasking.
- Haven't been able to get Gmail's java app to work, but the gmail website works just fine, and you can use pop3/ imap with WM6
- Camera sucks hairy donkey balls

All in all i really like the phone. I can't say i've longed for a slide-out keyboard or something, although i think it can be faster and more comfortable if you need to write large pieces of text pretty often. It does everything i want it to do (keep my appointments, get my (outlook) mail and do other phone-y stuff like make calls.

Get a N95 everyone with half a brain will agree that it's the Smartest.. Smartphone out there, also the iPhone is not a smartphone.. Get with the programme.

Get a N95 everyone with half a brain will agree that it's the Smartest.. Smartphone out there, also the iPhone is not a smartphone.. Get with the programme.

The N82 is cheaper with the same internals as the N95. The only difference is it's not a slider so it's a bit longer but thinner, has a smaller screen (2.4" instead of 2.6" or 2.8"), and a slightly better camera (faster and with a xenon flash). I'm giving it a hard look myself to replace my 6670.

I just called Verizon to see if they would swap out my Razr for another model (it's been swapped twice since August) and they told me to sit and spin. I could either buy a phone on eBay, sign up for another contract (never!), or they could swap out my Razr for another refurbished one (again). They guy even said that they have lots of problems with the Razr, but they won't change it out for the one they give away for free. Bastards.

the reason they won't swap your phone is because you are so close to being out of contract. You could try going to a store with technicians (tan shirts black pants) they may be able to talk the store manager into giving you a whole different phone from a different manufacturer (it's called a kit) The way to go about it would be to profess your love for verizon but you just can't deal with the razr anymore it's been swapped already 4 times blah blah blah. Speaking as a former tech you will get much farther being nice to the guy infront of you then anyone on the phone they are all D-Bags. That being said if you are really close to being out of contract what they may do instead is suggest that you renew and they will give you an additional discount on a new phone which will leave you SOL.

as an asside while i admit to some bias towards version i used to have T-Mobile and they had the worst customer service i have ever dealt with. addmititedly this was about 4 years ago and being an actuall part of verizons customer service infastructure made dealing with my verizon issues a snap but god did i hate T-Mobile Customer service and atleast around me their coverage sucks (or did as of 4 years ago)

The HTCs are really worth a look. My dad's got a Touch, and it is tiny, great and easy to use. No need for a full QWERTY keypad IMO.

beware of the moto q
it is absolute junk

i have had one for about a year. first few months i loved it.

then it got really old. id unplug it 7am and it would be fully dead at around 3-4pm. that is if i use it normally. i then upgraded to the extended battery which works well from 7am-11pm usually. all in all..battery life is horrible unless you spend an extra 40 bucks to upgrade.

sometimes it would just turn off for no reason. it does this rarely, but it is still rather annoying.

when i click into internet explorer it only stays up for maybe 10 seconds, unless i continously scroll up and down before it goes back to home screen, and i have to select the internet again and again, etc.

I'm not really happy with any of the Windows Mobile smart phones because of the WM software. I love the Blackberry interface, but really only super-useful if you have a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) set up. With that, it's more than awesome, it's brilliant.

If you want a keyboard, that's the best way to go (the Blackberry).

Though to be honest, having played with the iPod touch for some time (including w/ the keyboard), I'd probably want the iPhone.

But that doesn't help you, because you want T-Mobile.

The HTC Touch is pretty, that's for sure. The Blackberry I think would be the most "reliable" for everyday use, and the Perl is a nice form factor.

If you have a Mac, the Blackberry is much easier to connect and sync to than a Windows Mobile device (even though some will say "The Missing Sync" will work). N95 doesn't have a full keyboard I don't believe.

Not to pimp another site, but Howard Forums would be a good place to research and see user opinions on phone from T-Mobile.

Good luck with your search. Another option is to utilize any "trial" period that T-Mobile offers. I know with Verizon, I'd get a phone for 15 days (now 30), and if I didn't like it, return it and try a different one, until I found one I liked.

I've had my Motorola E6 for a few months now and it's been great. I think for your needs, a Blackberry Pearl or HTC Touch would do the trick.

While I like the idea of an iPhone, I'm not going with AT&T. They treated me like crap when I was with them last, their service in the bay area sucks balls and there is no way in hell I am going to pay full retail price for a phone and have to sign up for a 5 year contract.

Yeah there customer service is really lacking, but service for me in the bay area has been perfect. I guess it all just depends where you visit.

And people that keep saying N95, in the US no service provided has picked it up so its sold at full price with no contract. The nice thing is they now have a 3G US Version out, but its the same price as the iPhone and, well, the iPhone is just pure sex =P