Smartphone Sales by OS

I miss my old shit cellphone sometimes, simply because I was no where near as paranoid about it. But there is something to be said about being able to carry around a cell phone sized computer in your pocket. Comes in damn useful.

The other thing I found surprising when looking through the reports is that feature phones (dumbphones) are still outselling smartphones by a ratio of 2:1 . Considering how cheaply some smartphones can be bought now, that really surprises me. Must have something to do with technophobia. :dunno:

I was really reluctant to buy a smartphone (and only did so over this weekend, still waiting for it)

There are a couple of reasons. I like the traditional 12 keys in 4 rows of 3. While there are smartphones with that, sure, most of them either come with a touchscreen or qwerty keyboard.
The battery life is way longer on "dumbphones". Most people I know tell me they have to charge their smartphones every day or every couple of days, my current phone, even with its color screen and my habit of taking pictures (it has autofocus and flash), lasts for like a week.
It seems to me smartphones look like better targets for muggers.
In all honesty, I would rarely need the functions a smartphone brings, and most of those are internet related. At the moment, internet subscriptions are sort of expensive at least for me.

Those are some of my own personal reasons for not delaying joining the smartphone mania.
I'm gonna keep my dumbphone around in case 'something happens' to my smartphone.

Yep and a pre-paid plan would be quite tempting to me if one of the carriers manages to get a high-end phone. I barely use any minutes, or texts, just need lots of data. Such a plan does not exist on the major carriers, so pre-paid would be like half the cost. But then you have poor service and a mediocre phone.

Call up T-Mobile and ask if you can sign up for their $30/mo 5GB prepaid plan that they offered at Walmart. IIRC, it comes with 500 minutes and unlimited texts. And if you're willing to pay full price for a phone, I'm fairly sure you can buy whatever phone they have (e.g. GSIII), and they'll even unlock it for you if you call support.

That wouldn't save me enough to recoup the cost of the phone, considering that I get a new subsidy every 2 years. I'd also lose unlimited data and have much fewer minutes (not that I'd use them). And I don't think T-Mobile will be an upgrade in service over Sprint, neither are very good in my experience.