smoking ban

ignition2000

Does topgear come under this? as it was a public place when they lit up there top notch porsche pipes.

Hehe - I suppose so! Good on them for defying them its a silly law anyway. The bar in westminister is not covered under the law - So, MPs can smoke and have a pint. But you can't!

I presume as they own it its no different from smoking in your own house, besides who cares!

The hanger is probably a technically private place or some other loophole. Anyway, who cares. Anyone here's workplace actually listened to the rule?

Interesting point that barely no-one else would have noticed. My mum did though...

Hi guys,

My first post.

Ok, Sometime ago when the smoking ban was about to be introduced, our company sent round a memo to all staff. On this memo thingy, there was something saying that if a building was over a certain height (something like 40ft or possibly higher, my memory fails me) you can smoke in it. Would the TG hangar fall into this?

Last edited:
The top gear hanger definately counts as a workplace and not a residence. My guess is that either the roof is so high it doesn't count, or there wasn't really tabacco in those pipes. Can't see the BBC flouting the law, it's a ?2500 fine and really bad publicity at a time when confidence in the BBC is shakey.

The hanger is probably a technically private place or some other loophole. Anyway, who cares. Anyone here's workplace actually listened to the rule?

Every bar, restaurant and club i've been to since the ban has followed the law. And my workplace, plus my wifes, friends and families all don't have smoking rooms any more. A few very small workplaces might be able to get around it, but the penalties are really harsh - ?2500 for not enforcing the ban.

There is an exemption for things like plays where the characters have to smoke because of the story etc. May be they get undet the bar because of this?

Dunsfold is a private aerodrome. One reason why they might be allowed to smoke. Another is that it's used/similarly owned by the military. And on Military property you can do pretty much what the hell you want, providing the neighbors don't complain.

There is an exemption for things like plays where the characters have to smoke because of the story etc. May be they get undet the bar because of this?
Not in Scotland - Mel Smith was going to light up to make a point, but chickened out after it turned out the venue would be punished too. You can get "stage" cigarettes/cigars that don't contain actual tobacco, and you don't inhale, IIRC.

"Private[ly owned]" is definitely, explicitly, covered.

Is London a smoke free city as far as restaurants and public places are concerned?

Any 'work' place, whether privately owned or not is covered by the smoking ban - all indoor workplaces covered on three sides and with a roof (regardless of height) are covered.

Either they didn't have tobacco in the pipes (using stage tobacco) or they decided to just break the law and hope they wouldn't be prosecuted (I'd suggest its more likely the stage tobacco).

Oh and edkwon - all of the UK is smoke free - you can't smoke in any (a few limited exceptions) pub, club, restaurant or workplace.

I think Cobol74 has the answer. Actors can smoke during a performance so the Top Gear crew should be able to as well under the same rule.

it's funny i thought about this too. i guess it's okay for them to do that as people have already said. god was it a funny section though, JC being a crazy fool as usual :rofl:

The guys often smoke in the studio between takes.
Jezza has told people that it's private property so "light up if you want" Then the studio guys go a bit mad!:D

I love the smoking ban. Been like for years in norway. So nice being able to enjoy yourself when out without any disgusting smoke.

I remember Jezza was here. he didn't like it :p