smoking ban

Perhaps we should play the "guess the number of complaints OFCOM will get because of the smoking in last week's episode" game. My guess is 25

Oh and edkwon - all of the UK is smoke free - you can't smoke in any (a few limited exceptions) pub, club, restaurant or workplace.

in the US, theres no national or ay statewide smoking bans (except california i think) enforced to the best of my knowledge, however several major cities have adopted smoking bans in public places even tho its legal in the rest of the state, NYC is an example.

If anyone remember when Clarkson hosted "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" he lit one up there right as they were talking about the smoking ban.

edit: Also, that article was unnecessarily long for what it was worth.

Last edited:
in the US, theres no national or ay statewide smoking bans (except california i think) enforced to the best of my knowledge, however several major cities have adopted smoking bans in public places even tho its legal in the rest of the state, NYC is an example.
We've got one here too. The politicians were so excited about making it look like they were doing something helpful that they passed the legislation without really establishing all the details of it. :rolleyes:

I have to admit, since I left the show I have wondered what would happen about the presenters smoking. Something they used to do in the studio when they weren't on camera.

The law is quite clear, no smoking indoors under any circumstances. Oh, and fake tobacco counts too apparently!

Anti-smokers should die of lung cancer. Leave us be. (Start smoking - it's really really cool :p)

Anti-smokers should die of lung cancer. Leave us be. (Start smoking - it's really really cool :p)

Are you suggesting that the majority of the healthcare profession (doctors, nurses, psychologists, etc.) should die of lung cancer? ;)

Seeing that I am a health professional in training, there is a fine line between caring for my patient's health (smoking is a huge risk factor for cancer/heart disease/etc.) and respecting their rights.

A touch hard me thinks. I just wish the moaners would shut up, and keep their nanny state ideas to themselves. Let us live our lives who we want.

It was supposed to be a joke. But never mind. I hate health care proffesionals since they yell at me non stop (being an overweight smoker i'm kind of a target for them).:p

But I really don't understand people getting worked up over smokers - like how we cost so much and others don't. Everybody takes risks in one way or another and us smokers pay taxes like everybody else.

Nobody talks about skydivers for instance - they pose a threat to themselves and society - one could land on your head :p.

We were talking a about this in the office, and we thought it would be far better if when asked for comment, anti-smoking campaign group ash said "Oh you know, it's just a bit of harmless fun isn't it. No point getting worked up over nothing"

Made us laugh anyway.

It was supposed to be a joke. But never mind. I hate health care proffesionals since they yell at me non stop (being an overweight smoker i'm kind of a target for them).:p

But I really don't understand people getting worked up over smokers - like how we cost so much and others don't. Everybody takes risks in one way or another and us smokers pay taxes like everybody else.

Nobody talks about skydivers for instance - they pose a threat to themselves and society - one could land on your head :p.

If youre going to defend smokers, you should use better analogies than that.