Sniff Strikes Back....

I think whitevan is right. The "review" on Sniff Petrol would honestly not be out of place on the episode discussion threads from season 14 onwards. Basically with few exceptions, this site is mad up of two crowds the My God that last episode/series sucked so bad kill this show now!" crowd and the "Lol Top Gear is better than ever go watch Fifth Gear you haters!" crowd. That being said the first group greatly out numbers the second, especially these past three series or so, where so much as laughing at an episode gets one flamed.

Have you read any of the discussion threads this series? Besides the Sweeney episode, it's been glowing with praise!

Really, i quit after episode two or three of this series, and much of the "praise" was made up of "this didn't suck as bad as i thought" or "still not "real" TG, but hey its not India" and many people said they rated it "higher than it deserved". And for each instance of praise I saw, three or four people came in griping about how can we like such crap, no longer a car show, blah blah blah....

Perhaps the second half of the series this stopped, but I gave up looking. (I'd love to see the board for the scooter episode, those are the things that set this place off the most).

Really, i quit after episode two or three of this series, and much of the "praise" was made up of "this didn't suck as bad as i thought" or "still not "real" TG, but hey its not India" and many people said they rated it "higher than it deserved". And for each instance of praise I saw, three or four people came in griping about how can we like such crap, no longer a car show, blah blah blah....

Perhaps the second half of the series this stopped, but I gave up looking. (I'd love to see the board for the scooter episode, those are the things that set this place off the most).
I think you're letting your own bias cloud reality a bit. The India thing was so bad, even Jeremy and Co. recognized it. They even used it's awfulness as a joke for the Ferrari "India Special" FF they reviewed. I think the episode discussion threads are 98% positive this series, again, ignoring the Sweeney bit.

I'm sorry Whitevanwoman, but I think you may be one of those fanboygirls who just can't bear to hear criticism, no matter how legitimate it may be.

No, I am not someone who cannot bear criticism, and of course it has a legitimate place on the forum. And I am not sure how you got that impression from my post. I did say in my last paragraph that I don't like everything they have done (I was really disappointed in the Indian Special and posted as such). I just feel that a clique has arisen, especially on these discussions that thinks its speaks the one-and-only truth of the matter. That if someone doesn't suscribe to certain mantras about segments and the presenters and the show as a whole then your opinion is worthless.
For instance someone posted a little while ago that 'We all agree that the SIARPC segment is rubbish'. No, actually, we don't.
That kind of statement sums up my point. Don't do it.

Reactions: TC
No, I am not someone who cannot bear criticism, and of course it has a legitimate place on the forum. And I am not sure how you got that impression from my post.
Stuff like this:
"Porter's piece, however, doesn't do that. It comes off as mean-spirited and insulting"

Well now you know, I suspect, how the TG team feel about your 'discussions' at times.

Personally I think that the worst thing Andy and Jeremy ever did was to give the discussions on here legitimacy - there are a group of you who seem to think now that if you shout loudly and for long enough then TG will bow to your demands. It's become really tiresome at times.
It feels like you're grouping everyone who says anything negative/critical of the show together with the trolls. That anything short of praise is somehow "mean-spirited and insulting" to the TG crew. IMO, a professional should be able to accept criticism and possibly learn a thing or two from it, but also recognize people who just want attention and have nothing but bad ideas to offer, etc.

I did say in my last paragraph that I don't like everything they have done (I was really disappointed in the Indian Special and posted as such). I just feel that a clique has arisen, especially on these discussions that thinks its speaks the one-and-only truth of the matter. That if someone doesn't suscribe to certain mantras about segments and the presenters and the show as a whole then your opinion is worthless.
For instance someone posted a little while ago that 'We all agree that the SIARPC segment is rubbish'. No, actually, we don't.
That kind of statement sums up my point. Don't do it.
I can agree with that. Anyone who voices their subjective opinion as a fact is an idiot, and that's a fact! Err...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, be it good or bad, and they are all equally important or worthless, depending on your point of view. I think getting viewers honest opinions is important to producers and writers, etc. But opinions that are simple minded, like "it was the bestest!" or "it sucked nutz!" are equally worthless to the creators of these shows. I personally believe, and I could be completely wrong here, that they want to hear what people liked and didn't like in as much detail as possible. If the show is great, that's fine, but why is it great? It may not matter to you, but it should matter to the people who make the show and want to continue it's greatness. I think that is the sort of information you can learn from people who over-analyze things like this.

Last edited:
For instance someone posted a little while ago that 'We all agree that the SIARPC segment is rubbish'.

If you're speaking of what I said in this post then you should realize that I was using hyperbole while making a broad, sweeping generalization to get my point across.

With the exception of a few interviews, I generally enjoy SIARPC. I would not even be lumping myself in with "everyone."

Last edited:
I think you're letting your own bias cloud reality a bit. The India thing was so bad, even Jeremy and Co. recognized it. They even used it's awfulness as a joke for the Ferrari "India Special" FF they reviewed. I think the episode discussion threads are 98% positive this series, again, ignoring the Sweeney bit.

Show me where I said India was good? Oh wait I didn't. My point is much of the "praise" as you call it was saying that Season 18 was only good compared to the India Special.

I did not care for the Special (although i didn't hate it nearly as much as most people) but I did enjoy Season 18 as a whole. Going by this site, it appears I am in the minority. Thats what the Sniff Petrol piece was getting at, and why I thought it was so funny. Again it appears I am in the minority.

Show me where I said India was good? Oh wait I didn't. My point is much of the "praise" as you call it was saying that Season 18 was only good compared to the India Special.
Show me where I said that you said the India special was good. Oh wait, I didn't. I was merely pointing out that the India special was a very poor way to start the series. Series 17 was the best in a while and many of us were eagerly awaiting series 18. The India special was something to be excited about, as these sorts of epic trips are always... well... epically good. But it ended up being a bit of a mess and it made a lot of people worry about series 18, so it's no wonder there were a lot of comparisons to the India special when people really loved the new episodes.

I did not care for the Special (although i didn't hate it nearly as much as most people) but I did enjoy Season 18 as a whole. Going by this site, it appears I am in the minority. Thats what the Sniff Petrol piece was getting at, and why I thought it was so funny. Again it appears I am in the minority.
The funny thing is that you're not in the minority, you are definitely a part of the majority. As for the sniff piece, it would have been much funnier if it came during series 16 and from someone who wasn't a TopGear script writer.

Praytell then, what bias am I showing? I'm not in the "its all wrong!" Group, nor am I in the "Yay, sunshine and roses!" Group, so I'm biasef how exactly?

Praytell then, what bias am I showing? I'm not in the "its all wrong!" Group, nor am I in the "Yay, sunshine and roses!" Group, so I'm biasef how exactly?

The "FinalGear is all wrong! Nothing but trolls and whiners!" group. You keep talking about how we all hate the show and hate everything, but it's just not true.

I think whitevan is right. The "review" on Sniff Petrol would honestly not be out of place on the episode discussion threads from season 14 onwards. Basically with few exceptions, this site is mad up of two crowds the My God that last episode/series sucked so bad kill this show now!" crowd and the "Lol Top Gear is better than ever go watch Fifth Gear you haters!" crowd. That being said the first group greatly out numbers the second, especially these past three series or so, where so much as laughing at an episode gets one flamed.

That's bollocks and you know it. The Spie isn't dismissing the membership. Far from it. Forget those people who appear then TG is on, bow down at the Cock of Clarkson and then sod off again and ditto the ones who simply turn up tosay how much they hate everything. In any set of results the extremes have to be viewed with caution. From the core of FG membership (and my that I mean the 1500-2000 names I would recognise) we are a highly effective barometer of what is going on with the show. Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but with the exception of 18x07 my vote for each episode has been in the final, highest group - as a Ukanian and regular member I am one of the first to vote and I have been one of the harshest critics of TG from season 13-16 in particular. Series 18 has polled the highest in a long time if not ever since the 1-10 rating was introduced and many of the comments reflect an overwhelming sense of relief that they have shown a real return to form.

This, therefore, makes Sniff's piece not only unfunny but behind the times. If it had been a bit milder and appeared 3 years ago it might have raised a titter but it is lame satire at the best of times and in this case truly pathetic.

Sorry, Mr Porter, 1/10.

Seriously, have you even read ANY of my posts? I said WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS, theres TWO groups on FG. Mind you, I did say the negative group was more active, and to prove that look no further than the thread on the front page marked "Thoughts on Season 18" where someone who says they liked season 18 is ahoited down. One poster even remarked that TG "died after series 12". Really? Ok.

But again as I said (and you chose to ignore) there are the fan bois too, who are just as bad, but fewer in number.

You never did answef my question: How was the scooter episode received on here? Not very well I'll bet.

Seriously, have you even read ANY of my posts? I said WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS, theres TWO groups on FG. Mind you, I did say the negative group was more active, and to prove that look no further than the thread on the front page marked "Thoughts on Season 18" where someone who says they liked season 18 is ahoited down. One poster even remarked that TG "died after series 12". Really? Ok.

But again as I said (and you chose to ignore) there are the fan bois too, who are just as bad, but fewer in number.
I did notice and MWF was kind enough to quote that post just above. But you made it sound like the majority of the forum hates everything and there is only a handful of positive posts among the mountains of hate. That's the way it came across anyhow, whether it was your intention or not.

I'm not sure what thread you're talking about, care to give a link? I saw one with a similar title, but it only had 4 posts.

You never did answef my question: How was the scooter episode received on here? Not very well I'll bet.
Extremely well actually. I remember being surprised how positive everyone was being about it. There were no cars in that segment and quite a lot of cocking about, but contrary to popular belief, those of us who love car related content are capable of loving non-car related content too.

Last edited:
What I find so funny about this piece is I am actually leaving to drive to west Idaho in a little while. I have to be there Wed. You guys have given me something to think about on my long drive.

Seriously, have you even read ANY of my posts? I said WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS, theres TWO groups on FG.

A totally incorrect assertion, but you keep believing what you want to believe.

Mind you, I did say the negative group was more active, and to prove that look no further than the thread on the front page marked "Thoughts on Season 18" where someone who says they liked season 18 is ahoited down.

Oh, you liar. That thread received three responses, all of whom agreed with the OP. And no one "ahoited" the OP down, whatever the hell that means.

One poster even remarked that TG "died after series 12". Really? Ok.

This is what Kiskaloo said in that thread: "Series 12 was the last great series for me, personally, but Series 18 has had some gems (18x01 and 18x06)." Again, you're a liar.

By the way, we have some other fans here who believe the same thing. We have some fans here who say that "real Top Gear" died after Season 8. We accept this conclusion based on some rational reasoning: Richard's crash and its aftermath changed the tone of the show and also significantly altered the composition of the fandom. We may not agree with the conclusion, but we can respect the way it came about.

Fewer in number than the haters? Have you looked at the statistics for the voting? They significantly outnumber the haters. They fly in here, post a sub-10-words comment about how wonderful the latest episode was, then disappear until the next episode.

Actually, the scooter segment received uniformly positive reviews here. You can look up the thread yourself. Of course, you'll latch on to the few mildly negative comments and twist them. You've done it before in this thread.

A totally incorrect assertion, but you keep believing what you want to believe.

Oh, you liar. That thread received three responses, all of whom agreed with the OP. And no one "ahoited" the OP down, whatever the hell that means.

This is what Kiskaloo said in that thread: "Series 12 was the last great series for me, personally, but Series 18 has had some gems (18x01 and 18x06)." Again, you're a liar.

By the way, we have some other fans here who believe the same thing. We have some fans here who say that "real Top Gear" died after Season 8. We accept this conclusion based on some rational reasoning: Richard's crash and its aftermath changed the tone of the show and also significantly altered the composition of the fandom. We may not agree with the conclusion, but we can respect the way it came about.

Fewer in number than the haters? Have you looked at the statistics for the voting? They significantly outnumber the haters. They fly in here, post a sub-10-words comment about how wonderful the latest episode was, then disappear until the next episode.

Actually, the scooter segment received uniformly positive reviews here. You can look up the thread yourself. Of course, you'll latch on to the few mildly negative comments and twist them. You've done it before in this thread.

Wow, just wow. Ok fine you guys win. There are haters or there aren't (I have no idea what you guys are arguing again). Either way I'm wrong. I (and others) merely found the article humourous and said we can relate to it. Once again those in the minority were shouted down. The more I attempted to defend my position, the more I was villified. I quit this board for this very reason several months ago, don't know why I thought it changed, as it obviously hasn't. Either way you'll have to find someone else to pick on, I'm out. Which is perfectly fine as its finally Spring here on the East Coast, so my cars will be out soon, no time for angry internets anymore. This also means Spie will have to find a hobby other than following me from thread to thread neg repping me (I have no less than five from him). Later.

Reactions: MWF
Wow, just wow. Ok fine you guys win.

Why? Because you were caught straight-out lying to try to prove your point?

There are haters or there aren't (I have no idea what you guys are arguing again).

It isn't that, that's for certain. No one doesn't admit that there aren't haters out there. We're just saying that constructive criticism isn't hatred.

Either way I'm wrong.

No, in every way, you're wrong.

I (and others) merely found the article humourous and said we can relate to it. Once again those in the minority were shouted down.

By whom and how? If you'd only said that you'd found Porter's piece humorous, it would have been chalked up as a disagreement of opinion and ignored. It's what you said to try to prove your assertion, then continually reiterated throughout this thread when someone gain-sayed that, that caused this. In other words, if you were "shouted down", it's your fault for blathering.

The more I attempted to defend my position, the more I was villified.

Because you kept on and on at it. Ironically, you were trying to shout people on the other side down.

I quit this board for this very reason several months ago, don't know why I thought it changed, as it obviously hasn't. Either way you'll have to find someone else to pick on, I'm out.

Boo hoo. You and Whitevanwoman are the same: if anything upsets your mental construct of your perfect world, it's a disaster and has to be fought against. Guess what? Real life doesn't work that way.

This also means Spie will have to find a hobby other than following me from thread to thread neg repping me (I have no less than five from him).

If you stopped showing up in threads I read and start talking out of your ass, then I wouldn't neg-rep you (by the way, it was no more than twice). And if you notice, I didn't give you one during this thread despite your deserving it.

Which implies that you're going to flounce off again, then come back again.

What I find so funny about this piece is I am actually leaving to drive to west Idaho in a little while. I have to be there Wed. You guys have given me something to think about on my long drive.

Jude, get an iPod. Seriously.

Boo hoo. You and Whitevanwoman are the same: if anything upsets your mental construct of your perfect world, it's a disaster and has to be fought against. Guess what? Real life doesn't work that way.

Oh, for God's sake, every fan has a perfect world in their heads -TG or otherwise - and maybe mine is different to yours and maybe it isn't - how would you know? In fact I don't think our TG ones are that much different. You fight against what you perceive to be TG 'disasters' nearly every week (although I accept the last few weeks have been the exception). I am quite happy to fight my corner when needs arise - I just don't see the need arising quite as much as some people do. What I do see is a group of talented men and women trying to put together the best TV show that they can - sometimes they get it very wrong and sometimes they get it gloriously right, but even at their worst I don't think they deserve the assassination tactics that come from this forum at times.