Snoop Dogg denied entry to Australia. Hooray!!

If he writes his own lyrics and makes his own beats, then sure he's an artist.
Nope, he doesn't ... someone makes the melody ... however basic .... for him and he "raps" to it. I don't know if it's his lyrics, but the background music, he definitely has people for that.

That being said, what he is is a pop star ... a performer ... brought to fame by the record companies because it makes them money. And unfortunately all of "gangsta hip-hop", "G-funk" and R&B today is pop ... however much they claim it's underground, it's as pop and mainstream as britney spears. The only good hip-hop left today is underground one ... where at least they try and make it mean something. And if you don't know what underground hip-hop is, it's the songs where the rap lyrics are not about "hoes" and "dogs" and "cribs", but rather the harshness of life and most of the time they're apologetic about mainstream hip-hop for its foul language and wrong teachings.

You need to be an artist before you can be artistically censored. Being a thug with money does not make one an "artist."

I only listen too Tupac and Immortal Technique, anyway.

Pretty bad that he can't get into a country that used to be a penal colony. :clap:

I still stand by my motto: If they aren't playing instruments, they aren't musicians.

Or singing, vocalists are musicians too.

Rap != singing

What is? My comment or keeping the guy with a criminal record out of Australia? Because I don't think either is racist.

Or singing, vocalists are musicians too.

Rap != singing
I'll agree with you there. Opera singers are musicians. Someone yelling and rhyming about bitch slapping his ho isn't a singer. At least that's how it is in my book. 8)

I never really respected Snoop Dogg, until I saw this:

[YOUTUBE]MWDVpSUXHeM[/YOUTUBE]

a535_bm.gif

I won't comment on Australia's extremely racist and exclusionary public policies, however, I'm not a fan of rap, or rappers.

I never really respected Snoop Dogg, until I saw this:

[YOUTUBE]MWDVpSUXHeM[/YOUTUBE]

Oh yeah, charming indeed. The biggest word he managed to use was "conversation" - certainly he must be an educated man.

You need to be an artist before you can be artistically censored. Being a thug with money does not make one an "artist."

I think if it requires skill and creativity it should be classified as art. fine art? no but art none the less.

I'll agree with you there. Opera singers are musicians. Someone yelling and rhyming about bitch slapping his ho isn't a singer. At least that's how it is in my book. 8)

I would like to see you try it. Just because it's not traditional "singing" doesn't make it any less difficult or impressive when done right. also not all hip hop and very little good hiphop involves "bitch slapping a ho"

as for Austrailia not letting him in i think it's fine if they are only taking into account his legal history vs. any "save the kids" BS

I think if it requires skill and creativity it should be classified as art. fine art? no but art none the less.

Interrigators and torturers use skill and creativity, are they artists? How about engineers? Mathematicians? Physicists?
What about me? I'm a psychologist, my job certainly takes skill and creativity, but am I an artist?

YeahNo, but thanks for playing.

Interrigators and torturers use skill and creativity, are they artists? How about engineers? Mathematicians? Physicists?
What about me? I'm a psychologist, my job certainly takes skill and creativity, but am I an artist?

YeahNo, but thanks for playing.

i would argue that there is a certain amount of artistry in all of the above it's not the purpose of their work but there is art involved. Architects can certainly be artists infact some of them are more artist then engineer (frank lloyd wright). Hell MoMA has a ferrari motor and a Ducati on display and it's an art museum.

and while i know it's a major cop out. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean it's not art.

Art as defined by dictionary.com
see #1

also:

art and physics

The Interplay Between Art and Physics: Altering Perceptions of Reality

Math art

Escher

Mathematics and Art

Engineering + Art yes i know it's a wiki article but check out the citations

Engineering and Art

and yes this is a real streach but The Art of Torture

and Anarchists and the Fine Art of Torture

how about BDSM the rope is used to bind and hold the victim while at the same time be pleasing to the eyes
Japanese Rope Bondage

More Kinbaku-bi

Last edited:
a535_bm.gif

I won't comment on Australia's extremely racist and exclusionary public policies, however, I'm not a fan of rap, or rappers.

yeah we totally banned him because he was black, we hate every single black person here...

learn what you're talking about first

what advantage would australia gain by accepting sick people? for example

Make of that what you will - but Snoop not getting a visa has nothing whatsoever to do with that - he was denied because of his character, not his skin colour. Don't try and make this into a race debate, it's not.

If you want to accuse the Australian government of being racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or arachnophobic there's a whole Political Discussion area for that debate to be had in.

Last edited:
The_Finn,

How about Psychology. You missed that one.

I think these are decent reasons to deny him access to Australia...

Snoop Dogg
Rapper and Producer
# Other Known Disturbances and Arrests: 1990s - Snoop Dog was arrested for possession of cocaine. Over the next three years he spent time in and out of prison.

# July 1993 - Snoop was stopped for a traffic violation and a firearm was found by police while conducting a search of his car. In February 1997 he plead guilty to one count of being an ex-felon in possession of a handgun and was ordered to record three public service announcements, pay a $1,000 fine, and serve three years probation.

# August 1993 - Snoop was charged for being an accomplice to the murder of Phillip Woldermarian. In February 1996, with the help of attorney Jonnie Cochran, Snoop was found not guilty of all charges but voluntary manslaughter, on which the jury deadlocked.

# May 1998 - Snoop Doggy Dogg was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession. He was fined of $100, plus a $170 penalty assessment fee and a $100 payment to the Victim's Restitution Fund, for a total cost of $370.

# October 2001 - Snoop was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, after his tour bus was stopped and searched in Ohio. In May 2002 he pleaded no contest to the charge and was fined a total of $398.30 and a suspended 30-day jail sentence.

# April 2003 - Snoop Doggy Dogg's bodyguard, McKinley Lee, was grazed by a bullet after unknown assailants showered Snoop Dog's car and other cars in his entourage with bullets.

# August 2003 - Snoop was named in an affidavit claiming that he and the makers of the "Girls Gone Wild: Doggy Style" tape lured two underage girls to take their tops off for the camera by offering them marijuana and ecstasy. The suit was settled in July 2004.

Source

And there is also this from this Article...

Earlier this month, Snoop Dogg was sentenced to five years' probation and 800 hours of community service after he pleaded no contest to felony gun and drug charges in California.

During Snoop Dogg's last visit to Australia in February, Andrews said he overstayed his visa by two days and was also given an official warning.

And Australia isn't the only country to deny him access...

In March, Snoop Dogg and fellow rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs were forced to scrap a tour of Britain after authorities denied Snoop Dogg a visa. Britain's Home Office rules state that foreign citizens can be barred from entering the country if there are concerns about their presence.