Snow = Drifting (Techniques)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN1aP1o_m8[/YOUTUBE]

Next question, please.

Posmo is clearly Mika H?kkinen the 2nd after having a license for 1 year, including obviously knowing everything about car control in snow.

Last edited:
the point of the thread is having fun , rwd,fwd,awd doesn't matter, why i underlined fwd is that i own a fwd car, and honestly you can have fun in a fwd car, rwd or awd.

Last edited:
^ Thank you. I still contend that you couldn't put me into a car that I wouldn't enjoy driving.

You guys with the RWD boners need to try a fwd in the snow. It's more fun and looks cooler when you pull out of a +90 degree drift in a fwd.

In that case AWD would be the best option, with enough power, you can keep the 90+ degree drift going and going :) And LeveL, I only comment abour RWD in threads that concern it. You appear to be the only one fed up with this, and frankly, I think your bitching about my posts is far more distracting in the conversation..<_<

Related: The snowploughs have really been at it here, and you need to actually search for roads that don't have dry tarmac sections showing :( I daren't slide about in the Volvo on anything but a 100% snow surface, after all, it's not my car.

The problem with so-called "drifting" in FWD is that you're very limited. You can only hold it for a couple of seconds.
"Bullshit" :p. You just gotta get angry with it. I could put my little FWD Celica GTS around corners nearly as fast as I can my 325. At wider angles too, but I still need more practice in the 325. Anyway ... downshift, give it a little feint, lift off, then countersteer while playing with the throttle and the e-brake. I could get big long "drifts" out of my Celica in the snow and rain (a couple car lengths before a corner and well out); even on dry pavement sometimes.

You just have to be erm, determined. Doesn't matter what wheels are driven.

^ Thank you. I still contend that you couldn't put me into a car that I wouldn't enjoy driving.

Oh really?

BUCE8296.jpg

Night_Hawk knows what I'm talking about. :lol:

just watch this a couple of times and go repeat in real life

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMQkMvRG3I[/YOUTUBE]

I think it was P.J. O'Roark who said the funnest car in the world was a 911 Turbo with snow tires.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMQkMvRG3I[/youtube]
Sorry, but he looks like such a poser next to the 240SX, which looks a heck of a lot more awesome drifting with RWD. And if looking great isn't the point of drifting (next to having fun), what is?

I think it was P.J. O'Roark who said the funnest car in the world was a 911 Turbo with snow tires.
I can't think of a single reason to disagree :D

(no, I certainly haven't done it, but I can totally see the reasoning behind it)

Sorry, but he looks like such a poser next to the 240SX, which looks a heck of a lot more awesome drifting with RWD. And if looking great isn't the point of drifting (next to having fun), what is?

IMO that's just being innovative instead of driving just another slammed silvia like everyone else. Having something unique is just as important as looking cool. Gotta appreciate people who drift vans, pickups, kei cars etc for the out of the box attitude.

is the audi 80/90 ever built with 4wd ?

considering this video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyrI_tg9iSQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

if the audi is fwd, than ... blimey

What do you think the word Quattro stands for ;) Yes there were many Audi 80/90 Quattros.

We got 10 inches of snow last night. Everything is snowed in. I was one of the very few lunatics that went out for a drive. I barely got the car out of the parking lot. Then I went for a drive on the backroads. Got stuck. Winter mode, and the "cradle" method got me out. My new tires are awesome. Car still likes to understeer, but I managed to do a few scandinavian flicks. In addition, the rear stepped out a few times. That was very unnerving because I was driving next to a cliff...like TG Bolivia, but not as big :)

Still...had lots of fun today. I was the only one driving a FWD car, everybody else on the road was either in a truck or a SUV. The Volvo showed them :) Pics:
in my thread

Last edited:
i belive the safest way to drift (fwd) in packed snow is to turn the handbrake before you turn, it might not be as dramatic as a scandinavian flick -> pulling on the handbrake, but it feel so much more predictable.

but darn, on 20 cm of snow you really need some speed with a little bit of a flick to get it drifting properly.

this is getting really addictive,

but, and i know i'm underlining the obvious for most of you here, when trying to get familiar with driving in the snow go somewhere where no cars and no people are present.

What do you think the word Quattro stands for ;) Yes there were many Audi 80/90 Quattros.

We got 10 inches of snow last night. Everything is snowed in. I was one of the very few lunatics that went out for a drive. I barely got the car out of the parking lot. Then I went for a drive on the backroads. Got stuck. Winter mode, and the "cradle" method got me out. My new tires are awesome. Car still likes to understeer, but I managed to do a few scandinavian flicks. In addition, the rear stepped out a few times. That was very unnerving because I was driving next to a cliff...like TG Bolivia, but not as big :)

Still...had lots of fun today. I was the only one driving a FWD car, everybody else on the road was either in a truck or a SUV. The Volvo showed them :) Pics:
in my thread

Around here, after a big snow storm you'll see nothing but SUVs and fake SUVs (aka crossovers) on the road for a while, even if things have been plowed down to a couple of inches. But you rarely see anything with proper snow tires.

We got a lot of snowfall in the past 2 days, and the roads were once again covered in a uniform layer of stamped snow. The Volvo is really starting to show it's downsides when the roads are in good condition though. Anything over 60 kph is too much for the soft suspension. When going up a motorway ramp sideways, you get a huge weight transfer when the car straightens up again. Also, the steering is very vague and it's hard to feel confident even when you are in control.

Im going to keep the speed below 50-60kph from now on, as it isn't my car, but even at slow speeds it a bit tricky. Unless you do a good bit of scandinavian flicking, you often end up with just the inside wheel spinning, which is unsatisfying. And if you get the car properly sideways before the bend (as you should), you need to get off the gas immediately, apply a LOT of opposite lock, and then balance the throttle due to the crappy tires at the rear. That means you can either go all out with the angle of the slide, or not slide at all.Due to these "features", the Volvo is best in reasonably tight, yet wide(because the car is huge) 90-180 degree turns. On less tight bends, the speeds tend to pick up too much, and as I said earlier, it's very hard to keep the andle of the slide reasonable. It's good fun to boot the power at the end of the slide though, as the tires struggle for grip :)

Basically the Volvo's winter driving "statistics" can be summed up with:

1997/8 Volvo 940 2.3 Turbo estate:

Good:
-RWD.
-Huge steering angles, it's a very hard car to spin in, even with the shit tires.
-Light enough steering to be used with just one hand.
-Long wheelbase, which means that everything happens quite slowly
-Enough juice for winter drifting
-The auto box is not completely hopeless
-Good visibility

Bad:
-SOFT suspension
-Large size, it's a bit on the large side for tighter roads.
-No LSD, I still hate my father for not ticking that box in the options list.
-Very bad studded tires, especially at the rear, these affect the way the car a handles a lot.
-It does weigh quite a bit, which often means that you slide a bit wider than you originally wanted due to the inertia

Family portrait for no real reason:

5611_1100624999356_1338605099_30258941_8078498_n.jpg

I personally wouldn't recommend it as a winter car to have fun in. A 740 does that job a lot better. Im not a huge fan of Volvos in general, and this car is not really going to change my opinion. It's as soft and wallowy as you'd expect, but it's still more fun than any Fwd car in winter imo.

This thread makes me REALLY miss my old 240sx. It would stay sideways forever... now I'm trapped in a Cobalt that is breaking down more often than the 240 did.

drift.jpg

if your stick in deep snow do you

inflate or deflate tyres for traction,

in deep snow if i get stuck i usually steer left right while the wheels are spinning, seem to work a few times ...