Snow!

LeVeL

Forum Addict
First snow storm of the season is here! Yay!! Which, of course, means going sideways... a lot. Which, in turn, brings me to the following: can you actually get in trouble for doing donuts / drifting in a parking lot? I'm not worred about it or anything, its just that I haven't really been able to get an answer. Assuming you are not tresspassing and that you are not actually endangering anyone/anything (ie you are not sliding past parked cars), do cops really give a damn? The worst I've heard is when a few of my friends got caught playing around in a parking lot on campus and the officer threatened to arrest them (didn't end up doing anything and just let them go). I feel like most cops wouldn't really care or they might tell you to leave but that's it. Could they really give you a lot of shit over it though (eg reckless, driving to endanger, etc)? Like I said, I'm not really concerned about it, just curious.

I am curious about this as well. I would love to, er, test out the "benefits" of RWD sometime when I don't have to get to work in one piece.

Here at least, you will most likely get fined wherever you do it, unless you come across a super nice police dude. and there is a big shopping mall parking lot not far from here and the police go there often to catch "donuters"

If it's private property I don't think they can do anything unless the owner of the place calls them, or if they believe you are "endangering" people.

Unfortunately I don't have any good parking lots around here except for Wal-Mart and they are religious about plowing that damn thing so no one can sue them.

You can get a stunting ticket on public property but if its private the police must be notified by the owner, at which point they can give you a stunting ticket.

I find myself pullin the e-brake all the time in winter just for a little fun and cops have seen me do it but they don't bother giving you a ticket since it's too easy to fight in court, ex. It was icy.

we can be fined for "being unable to maintain control of the vehicle"

wheelies, stoppies, drifts, donuts are all considered as you failing to maintain control...

I'd say about 70-80% of all corners in winter (when there are no other cars visible/parked in bad places) are taken sideways when I'm driving a RWD car. It's just too much fun, and if you don't hassle about and use just 1 hand to turn the steering wheel, quite safe aswell.

FWD really is for the feeble on snow :)

EDIT:
I always include this video when talking about RWD & winter:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QCxiXpIv88[/youtube]

At 2:29-> you can see an excellent example of how you should steer when driving on snow with a rwd car :)

Last edited:
You can absolutely get a ticket anywhere from "power exhibition" to "reckless endangerment" for doing donuts/drifting in a snow covered parking lot.

You can definitely get fined here for messin about in the snow. Of course its like anything though, just be careful when and where you do it and you'll stay out of trouble. I recommend the area behind big-box stores like Walmart where the loading bays are, no one ever looks there.

Yes, you can get a ticket for having a bit of fun in a parking lot, even if it is private property. It's one of the few tickets that the cops can give out on private property.

damnit, no snow here, snow for few days, then gone:(

in 2007/2008 there was aaaalot af snow, got up to houses in many places

4152788916_cd0b52a93c_b.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.**/i/025fc.jpg/

always snow in northern part of iceland AND they dont put salt on the streets, so 20 year old cars from there have little as no rust

I'm snowed in at the moment, 2 to 3 foot connected snow drifts.
My car can get through a lot, but it won't make it through that.
My neighbor got his pickup stuck.

As for having fun in the snow, I usually keep it to chucking it sideways on some of the slow speed back roads and parking it "the fun way" on the parking lot at work.
I don't mess around on the highways with traffic around though.

holy shit I need a subaru
Just went out with my friend in his stage 2 bug-eye wrx (wagon :cool:) and to my big surprise he offered me to drive. Needless to say I accepted. It was my first time driving awd in snow and I'm definitely sold on the idea. What my fwd car could not even hope to get through, the wrx just went on without a moment of hesitation. Obviously the acceleration isn't nearly the same as in the dry but its miles and miles better than 2wd. Donuts and drifts are utterly effortless and absolutely hilarious - you feel like petter solberg! The only hiccup is when snow builds up in the tire wells and you cant turn :lol: Out on the road the car just drives as if its dry. Fantastic. I need that in my life. Pics coming soon

Yay Snow!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39Lm_HRfOs[/YOUTUBE]

I was stopped last winter for doing it ON MY OWN (commercial) PROPERTY.

The officer was going to ticket me until I had him bring his supervisor down to deal with HIM because it was CLEARLY posted as a private road, and I was behind (unlocked but closed) gates. (They can't cross the gates without a warrant or permission, just as they can't search your house even though the door is unlocked)

I have a big problem with cops overstepping their bounds consistently and having to smack them on the nose. Turns out it was a misunderstanding - several neighbors in the industrial complex allow them behind the gates to run speed traps (in the 10mph zone, against big lumbering cargo trucks) and the moron THOUGHT he was allowed in *EVERY* one of the lots unless the gate was locked.

Last edited:
i saw some cops ticketing some kids at my old high school parking lot where they were doing donuts a few years ago

This is dependent entirely on where you live. There's no national law stating which way or the other, so what's the point of asking an international audience? You might as well ask someone living in Argentina what the school-zone speed limit is in Idaho.

P.S. Quattro Audis thrive on snow. Bring it on.

This is dependent entirely on where you live. There's no national law stating which way or the other, so what's the point of asking an international audience? You might as well ask someone living in Argentina what the school-zone speed limit is in Idaho.

P.S. Quattro Audis thrive on snow. Bring it on.

Yeah, right up to the point when they break down. :p