Snow!

Anyone else getting some really bad vibes in this thread?

Anyone else getting some really bad vibes in this thread?

Really? I'm getting sweet vibrations from this one. :p

At that age I drove an '86 Towncar so I was invincible. :p Who cares about hitting a car or building it would just plow right through.

First off what is this "weather" all of you speak of? I guess we don't have it in California. :p Also are Sierra owners the equivalent of Rustang and Camaro owners combined? Because I've been to a couple of muscle car meets and they don't talk as much trash about FWD as Posmo does. Anyways I 100% agree with what argatoga said. I will admit I think I'm an awesome driver. For instance, I was rushing back over Topanga canyon at 60 mph in my aunts x3 because I was running late to my flight at LAX. I took a curve way too fast and I started to understeer hard towards a guard rail, but I saved it. After it happened, I thought that I was an awesome driver for saving it because other kids my age would have crashed. Now when I look back on it 10 years from now, I will be saying how fing lucky I was to not of crashed.

Oh btw you all might have been the best driver when you were a teen, but I'm clearly the best ever.

Last edited:
Maybe the funniest thread on snow...

To see the pics you need to log in, but it's about a guy who has his F430 outside and covered in snow.

Real Ferrari drivers would never let their rolling piece of art out in the snow.

Linky :lol:

For instance, I was rushing back over Topanga canyon at 60 mph in my aunts x3 because I was running late to my flight at LAX. I took a curve way too fast and I started to understeer hard towards a guard rail, but I saved it. After it happened, I thought that I was an awesome driver for saving it because other kids my age would have crashed. Now when I look back on it 10 years from now, I will be saying how fing lucky I was to not of crashed.

Yes, because bringing an X3 to the limit on a dry road, needs some really silly driving :lol:

However, all you have to do to catch an understeering car, is lift the throttle. So no skills needed there at all, except the one not to panic :p

Yes, because bringing an X3 to the limit on a dry road, needs some really silly driving :lol:

However, all you have to do to catch an understeering car, is lift the throttle. So no skills needed there at all, except the one not to panic :p

Yes, but I don't know these things yet because I have been driving less than a year. Also I was braking really really late so I had to brake hard then and then let off the gas while turning all in a split second.

Err guys, I've gone through the whole thread and I still can not understand this thing you all are calling "Snow".

What is it? And more importantly, can you kill it with fire?

I have done a fair bit of winter driving with the cars we have at home, and I have had a few accidents (none of them resulted in any damage to the car though) The first time was when I switched the DSC off on the Jaaag, and floored it, well it spun a few times, hit a snow bank with first the rear, then the front. Fortunately I was able to back out of it and drive home. Then I spun the Scorpio, ending up un a field, again I was lucky, as there was no ditch between the road and the field, so I slid straight on to it. It was no more than a foot-and-a-half of snow so I managed to just drive off it.

P2075411.jpg

For winter driving I generally prefer the Scorpio (above). Mostly because it has a 5-speed manual transmission and AWD with a 40/60 torque split between the front/rear, and no "electronic-anti-this-and-that" crap in it. The Range Rover has a stupid tration control system that completely freaks out some times, just randomly locking up wheels, and there is no button to disable it. Both last year, and the year before I did a lot of drifting/spinning on empty parking lots with some of my friends at school. That was a lot of fun, and we got a huge lot of snow recently so I'll be back at it.... :D

Last edited:
Which engine does the Scorpio have? If it's the 2.9 24V I hate you. :p

Err guys, I've gone through the whole thread and I still can not understand this thing you all are calling "Snow".

What is it? And more importantly, can you kill it with fire?

After researching said "snow" for the last 4 hours, I think it is the same thing as what makes our non-fat vanilla creme frappuccinos cold. I still don't understand how it comes from the sky though.

Which engine does the Scorpio have? If it's the 2.9 24V I hate you. :p
Nope, it's just the 2,9 12V with hydraulic lifters, aka; Clak, Clak, Clak... We've had it for a good 15 years and put over 300 000 km on the clock...

DSC00553.jpg

About half a year ago...
P5227465.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mix up controlling race cars on a track with mastering a car in daily traffic.

In daily traffic there are hardly ever any situations, where racing drivers or stunt driver can make use of their talents. Mostly because their is too much traffic and the other drivers aren't racing drivers or stunt drivers, therefore lack the discpline and abilities of folks going round in circles on a closed off track and are as predictable as the lotto numbers.

But also because you have to deal with tons of traffic rules, cyclists, pedestrians, animals on the road, constantly changing road conditions, people who suddenly brake without indicating, people taking your right of way, teenage idiots who think they are Michael Schumacher and race themselves in pimped up VW Polos, etc., etc.

There is one anecdote about Ayrton Senna, who got stopped by the British police for speeding. The policeman didn't recognize him, so he asked him:
"Who do you think you are? Nigel Mansell?"
"No, I'm Ayrton Senna".
The reaction of the policeman was not nice...

Anyway, my point being: Racing a car and driving a car are two completely different things. Young racing drivers, like Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton, don't have more experience in normal traffic, than any other guy at their age (probably even less, because they spend most of their time on tracks) and will probably make the same mistakes and collect points on their licenses -- maybe even more than others, because they might think they are better drivers than others and can therefore stretch the limits more.

Nothing, I repeat nothing, can beat years of experience in normal traffic. And by years I mean years of driving hundreds of kilometers a week. Fooling around doing Scandinavian flicks or making donuts are no substitutes for driving.

Though I mostly agree on what you said, I think racing drivers (or those who have a good racing understanding or experience) have a better understanding on the physics of driving.
As you said there may not be real-life situations where racing skills are displayed, but a racer would have the natural knowledge of car control. But I guess this depends on the individual, and of course the age.
Most kids that have just passed their driving test think they now know how to drive, but all they really know how to do is to push a car along a road following the driving regulations, instead of understanding the ability of a car and how to control it in more extreme conditions. Once these young drivers are taken out of their comfort zone, and told to drive around a course as fast as possible, they would probably be very bad, unless they had the understanding of the physics of a car which comes second nature to most racers.
However, as you said, driving on normal roads over many years would also give someone this understanding of car control. Lewis Hamilton and Sebastien Vettel may not be better driving on a normal road, but that is not really "driving", more like avoiding danger.

Last edited:
I have done a fair bit of winter driving with the cars we have at home, and I have had a few accidents (none of them resulted in any damage to the car though) The first time was when I switched the DSC off on the Jaaag, and floored it, well it spun a few times, hit a snow bank with first the rear, then the front. Fortunately I was able to back out of it and drive home. Then I spun the Scorpio, ending up un a field, again I was lucky, as there was no ditch between the road and the field, so I slid straight on to it. It was no more than a foot-and-a-half of snow so I managed to just drive off it.

[/IMG]

For winter driving I generally prefer the Scorpio (above). Mostly because it has a 5-speed manual transmission and AWD with a 40/60 torque split between the front/rear, and no "electronic-anti-this-and-that" crap in it. The Range Rover has a stupid tration control system that completely freaks out some times, just randomly locking up wheels, and there is no button to disable it. Both last year, and the year before I did a lot of drifting/spinning on empty parking lots with some of my friends at school. That was a lot of fun, and we got a huge lot of snow recently so I'll be back at it.... :D

i have no idea why but i get some ridicilous images in my head while reading that :lol:

After researching said "snow" for the last 4 hours, I think it is the same thing as what makes our non-fat vanilla creme frappuccinos cold. I still don't understand how it comes from the sky though.

Hmm...You might be on to something, Sir. Let us wait and see if I could find some 'snow' at big bear later next year :)

Seriously though, the climate was awesome on Christmas day and the day following (26th). See this article on LA Times:

Sunny Christmas in Southern California makes it hard not to gloat

Seriously though, the climate was awesome on Christmas day and the day following (26th). See this article on LA Times:

Sunny Christmas in Southern California makes it hard not to gloat

I always had the notion, that at Christmas time it is up to those to gloat, who have snow.

Personally I cannot imagine Christmas in hot, sunny weather. It's simply not right somehow.

A Christmas market for example in 30? C? With drinking Gl?hwein at those temperatures? It'll knock you out dead after the first cup. A horrible thought. The whole "Christmas culture", which is so popular around the world, is built around it being cold outside.

Christmas is only right, when you come in from the freezing cold, dressed in winter clothing, with gloves and a woolen hat, when your glasses steam up, when you have to stomp your feet to get rid of the snow on your boots and then can warm yourself up at a fire and by the sight of an illuminated Christmas tree, with some alcoholic delicacy in your hand :)

Last edited: