Snow!

I gotta get in on that RWD snow driving fun. I'm missing out, obviously. :p

Snow is gone again, it's above zero and it doesn't make sense.

If I didn't know better I'd blame the old global warming...

I'm usually skidooing all over town by now and I havent worn my jacket in weeks...

Snow is gone again, it's above zero and it doesn't make sense.

If I didn't know better I'd blame the old global warming...

I'm usually skidooing all over town by now and I havent worn my jacket in weeks...

Your snow shipment seems to have been misdelivered to the entire rest of the world.

Jesus Christ, my dad's a real genius.

He tried to drive down a narrow road between fields, that was covered in really deep snow with a Golf, with crappy all seasons (or even summer tires, I don't know), although there was already someone stuck on the road.

Now, going down that road in the snow is incredibly stupid for a thousand million reasons, not even factoring in how deep it was snowed over. So naturally, he got the Golf stuck. And my dad should've known better, he used to drive through the Sahara and stuff like that, for christ's sake!

Then he walked back home (wasn't far from our house), and got me to come along to help him try to pull the Golf and the other guy out with our Mitsu L300 4WD (1st gen Pajero underneath). Long story short, the Mitsu, despite it's proper 4WD got stuck in a small ditch next to the road as well.

He then had to go to a nearby farmer to get him to pull the cars out with his tractor... which actually worked brilliantly. The whole thing took about 2 and a half hours... <_<

As far as I'm concerned, this means I have a free pass to do stupid shit and instantly void any criticism from him.

Last edited:
Just happend a few minutes ago infront of my window:

[YOUTUBE]5dV-qS1MEWw[/YOUTUBE]

It's funny that my much cheaper, simpler cars have never gotten stuck like that.

How's that RWD working out for you?

^Any car can get stuck. I got stuck in a parking spot with my AWD, doesn't help much when snow is up to your grill and the car is beached :'(

^Any car can get stuck. I got stuck in a parking spot with my AWD, doesn't help much when snow is up to your grill and the car is beached :'(

He's right you know, I've gotten stuck once so far this winter, which was thanks to deep snow and studless rear tires on the Volvo (well they did have studs.. :|) It's my own fault for ruining the rear tires. :( I'd bet my ass that that Mercedes-Benz was runningall seasons or summer tires. :). Also, having a limited slip diff on a RWD car helps a lot.

Studded tires make quite a bit of difference, not to mention a proper winter tyre instead of all-years. And yes, limited slip-diff is nice...Mercedes really should fit them as standard.

I loved the way he cursed at the end :p

Last edited:
Still debating whether to get winter tyres. I just know the snow will disappear right after I bought them. :hmm:

Winter tires aren't only good in snow. It's a common misconception, that you only need them in snow or sludge.

First of all they have a different sort of rubber mixture, which makes them softer and grippier in cold temperatures, even on dry roads. So when it's getting colder, say below 8? C, you have a better stopping distance with snow tires even on dry roads, than with summer tires, which use a rubber mixture that hardens up in cold weather.

Good snow tires also work better on slick roads. They have a tread that actually offers some grip even on ice.

Last edited:
Studded tires make quite a bit of difference, not to mention a proper winter tyre instead of all-years. And yes, limited slip-diff is nice...Mercedes really should fit them as standard.

I loved the way he cursed at the end :p
New cars like the Mercedes don't really need the lsd on situations like that as the traction control uses brake on the slipping wheel, diverting more torque to the non-spinning wheel.
Good snow tires also work better on slick roads. They have a tread that actually offers some grip even on ice.
Yes, the tread has sort of suction cups in it.

New cars like the Mercedes don't really need the lsd on situations like that as the traction control uses brake on the slipping wheel, diverting more torque to the non-spinning wheel.

Which is absolutely HORRIBLE on snow. The reason why all the cars have the button to turn of TC is specifically so you can spin wheels to get out of snow.

Which is absolutely HORRIBLE on snow. The reason why all the cars have the button to turn of TC is specifically so you can spin wheels to get out of snow.
The ESP can't be compeletely turned off on that Merc and the braking function works always. You can actually smell the brakes when drifting on an empty field for a while.
As mentioned before rocking back and forth is the best method to get clear if you're stuck in snow.

The ESP can't be compeletely turned off on that Merc and the braking function works always. You can actually smell the brakes when drifting on an empty field for a while.
As mentioned before rocking back and forth is the best method to get clear if you're stuck in snow.

Or mud. Or, apparently, Martian sand (they're trying it with the spirit rover)

When you beached your car on snow, a good trick is to collect a few people and let them sit in your car, on the mudwings or in the boot. The more, the better. That hunks the car down and compresses the snow and maybe, when the folks have gotten out of your car, gives you enough air to get out of the mess. It worked for me once.

Winter tires aren't only good in snow. It's a common misconception, that you only need them in snow or sludge.

First of all they have a different sort of rubber mixture, which makes them softer and grippier in cold temperatures, even on dry roads. So when it's getting colder, say below 8? C, you have a better stopping distance with snow tires even on dry roads, than with summer tires, which use a rubber mixture that hardens up in cold weather.

I'm aware of that, however, I never felt the need for them before. But with all the recent snowfall and temperatures not reaching above 0 since mid-December, there is a noticeable lack of grip especially under braking cause of all the frozen snow still in places. And the place where I currently reside during the week hasn't heard about the possibility of cleaning the roads after snowfall.

Although I'm managing without, I didn't have to make an abrupt maneuver or emergency stop, yet. 300 EUR for a set of 4 185/55/15 Vredestein Snowtrac 3's..hmm..

Any idea how much 15" steelies are, 20 a piece?

I've just checked for winter tyres for my potential new car anyways, mounted on steelies 375? for a set of Conti TS830s including domestic shipping.

Another good trick for getting a stuck car out is to put the rubber mats from the interior under the tires if you have them.