"So boring you want to die.." - JC on the Jetta...

Must be relatively new, quoting my US 2001 Cars consumer guide the Jetta "far outsells the Golf" - but nice to know that has changed now.

Been looking at the Jetta here in Aus, and will probably still get it. Was looking at the GTI previously, but the boot was too small. (2 golf club bags and soon to be 3, luggage and 3 people wont fit in the GTI unfortunately.)

Sure, it is a boring car, but here in Aus, the top of the line TFSI is cheaper than the GTI, and has DSG, which, from the looks of it, the UK one doesn't and sports suspension included.

There's also a shorter wait time. (GTI being quoted anywhere from 6months to 12months)

Fuel consumption is listed as the same as the GTI, and 0-100 is about .4s (DSG and the same as the manual). The new Passat has nto been launched here yet. Launch date in March, for delivery in the 2nd half of the year I think, and it's a step up again in all ways from the Jetta. (weight, fuel consumption, size, etc) Sure, most of this could just be marketing :D The colours available for the Jetta here are the most boring in the world though. Nothing flashy at all :(

Might not be the car for UK, but makes heaps of sense elsewhere.

Still enjoyed the article though. Brilliantly funny writing.

:)

mautzel said:
Must be relatively new, quoting my US 2001 Cars consumer guide the Jetta "far outsells the Golf" - but nice to know that has changed now.
Hmmm...seems rather strange to me as well. When did they start selling this Jetta in the States? Was there such a big gap between the New Golf and the new Jetta as over here (around 22 months). If there was the Golf would easily outsell the Jetta.

mautzel said:

My memory vaugely conjures up an article about how Americans much prefer to buy saloon cars over hatchbacks, hence why things like the Jetta are made. Suspect it's the "bigger is better" idea, and that saloon cars are what Americans like and are used to. Big cars. Whilst we're used to tiny wee Euroboxes.

Over here it's the opposite, sales of saloon cars are down and hatchbacks are up.

mautzel said:
Just going by what I see. There are quite a few VWs on the road, and I mostly see Golfs.

I want a 2 door MKII Jetta.

american teenage girls want it
sadly

Haha...BANG ON! Dunno what the facination of the black Jetta is to the 16-24 year old female driver; my former roommate the bar-star has one.
Its like that song by Ima Robot, "Black Jettas"

zenkidori said:
mautzel said:
Just going by what I see. There are quite a few VWs on the road, and I mostly see Golfs.

Must be living in an area with exceptionally good tast then ;)

Sedans are big here in Aus too. Focus, Megane, Pulsar and Corolla sedans outsell their hatchback counterparts. I believe there is a perception of prestige, safety and luggage space that helps it.

That and we are a fairly conservative nation when it comes to cars, and the sedan versions usually are a 'safer' design.

haha604 said:
And a bunch of American automotive journalists call this car fun to drive :lol:
I think "fun to drive" is the polite American-journo way of saying "doesn't really excell in any department" ;)

The journos probably think that setting the house alarm is fun.

well here in the states we get a jetta gli which is the same suspension and motor from a gti but in the jetta. the mkVI gli looked amazing but the new one is even better. c&d just did a comparison between the mazdaspeed6, pontiac g6, acura tsx , honda accord 6 speed, and the gli. even though the gli was the second slowest behind the tsx, it won bc it actually is a fun car to drive. i would even buy a gli.

zenkidori said:
mautzel said:

Where I'm from in the US, I see more Jettas, but not by much. It's a somewhat even spread.

patrick10 said:
well here in the states we get a jetta gli which is the same suspension and motor from a gti but in the jetta. the mkVI gli looked amazing but the new one is even better. c&d just did a comparison between the mazdaspeed6, pontiac g6, acura tsx , honda accord 6 speed, and the gli. even though the gli was the second slowest behind the tsx, it won bc it actually is a fun car to drive. i would even buy a gli.
Good point, my buddy's GLI was pretty sweet. Good engine and suspension, came with recaros and shit.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
haha604 said:
And a bunch of American automotive journalists call this car fun to drive :lol:
I think "fun to drive" is the polite American-journo way of saying "doesn't really excell in any department" ;)

Most auto journalists don't know what they are talking about. They just slap together phrases used by other car journalists and call their cut-and-paste jobs car reviews. On the one hand they call the Corolla boring because it is a Toyota and on the other they call the Jetta fun to drive because it is German.

i like the jetta for one reason - the jetta estate, it is like a 4 door golf on steroids... :)

i love/need a hatchback. i couldnt imagine not having it in my current golf, my only limitation is that some boxes from ikea dont fit in very well (especially desks and tables) so the bit of extra length from the jetta wagon would be awesome. the jetta sedan though seems pointless.

zenkidori said:
I'm wondering, do europe and AU get the GLI? Or the 1.8T?
According to VW Aus website, we get the FSI 2.0L, the FSI 2.0L turbo and a TDI. They can't be bothered giving us a 1.8L cos no one will buy it.

zenkidori said:
I'm wondering, do europe and AU get the GLI? Or the 1.8T?

As in the old model or the new MkV one? AU's previous Jetta was infact called the Bora, I have no idea what engine/spec levels we got because quite frankly, it was shit and got a beating from the car journo's.

Now, the Jetta, the new one, we get a 2.0L FSI (110Kw/150hp), 2.0L TDI (103Kw/140hp) and the Golf GTI engine (147Kw/200hp)

EDIT: SL65etc ya bastard, I took too long typing... I gave more info though :p

Hmm, it seems the 2.0T has replaced the 1.8T, I wonder how they made up the extra displacement, probably with a longer stroke :cry:

Looks like there isn't a new GLI out yet, but due this year:

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/423

The older model GLI Jettas were pretty cool, coming with GTI motor, Recaro seats, sport suspension and upgraded wheels and styling, here's a bit about the last generation.

http://www.automedia.com/articleID/rts20050201vj/page/1