So, I changed my brake pads today..

Jon

Car(s)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Honda CBR600FS (Now wrecked!)
I changed my brake pads earlier and noticed some fluid on my fingers as i was putting the caliper back on. I took it back off and it looked like it was coming from the cylinder like a seal had broken. My main question is do you think this is dangerous enough for me to get it sorted right away, or should i top up my brake fluid when and needs be? (Haven't needed to yet). Note i am planning on selling the car soon. You can tell by comparing the two pads from each side that there appears to be extra corrosion on the one side on the back of the pad where the cylinder lyes. I'll take a picture later so you can see what i mean.

What do you guys reckon?

If you're planning on selling the car, and can afford it, I'd fix or replace the caliper. Add it to the price of the car. You're probably fine driving it, so long as you don't plan on doing any Speed Racer impressions.

this is your brakes we?re talking about yes?
excuse me for being all german about it but I can?t say this enough: when in doubt, consult someone who knows what he?s doing...

something is definitely not doing what it?s supposed to be doing, and just because it?s been working fine so far, doesn?t necessarily mean it will for much longer...

this is your brakes we?re talking about yes?
excuse me for being all german about it but I can?t say this enough: when in doubt, consult someone who knows what he?s doing...

something is definitely not doing what it?s supposed to be doing, and just because it?s been working fine so far, doesn?t necessarily mean it will for much longer...

I know what i'm doing, i know what the problem is, i'm not in doubt. I just wanted a second opinion on whether to change the cylinder or leave it. I didn't come here to find out what was wrong.

Brakes are the most important system on your car, but also the most simple. I can't see this causing too much of a problem, you'd be surprised just how little brake fluid you need to stop safely, also, my car has two separate systems so even if it fails completely all of a sudden (which is highly unlikely), the other system will be there to stop me safely.

Brakes are something you NEVER want to avoid fixing. I'd take it to a shop ASAP and get it checked out.

Just wait until some bonehead slams on his brakes in front of you on a highway, while doing 120km/h. Then as you in turn mash on your brakes, start praying that the "little leak" doesn't become a fountain, as your brake pedal suddenly goes to the floor...

Personally, I would never mess with a leaking brake. How much is a cylinder? $100? Just like tigger said, I'd fix it and bump the price of the car up a bit.

Do not drive it anywhere. Replace the caliper/cylinder then flush and bleed the brakes ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. Failing that, park it until you can afford to do so.

Brakes are too important to risk being cheap or half-assing it. If you have a hydraulic fluid leak of any kind, you need to fix it NOW.

I know what i'm doing, i know what the problem is, i'm not in doubt. I just wanted a second opinion on whether to change the cylinder or leave it. I didn't come here to find out what was wrong.

Brakes are the most important system on your car, but also the most simple. I can't see this causing too much of a problem, you'd be surprised just how little brake fluid you need to stop safely, also, my car has two separate systems so even if it fails completely all of a sudden (which is highly unlikely), the other system will be there to stop me safely.

I also like to think that I know what I?m doing when it comes to fixing and changing parts on my car... If you really want a second oppinion you should post some pictures.

I have seen people come in to the shop with very little brake fluid left, with completely worn down brake pads or cracked discs. You are of course right about the brake system having quite a large safety reserve built into it, but this still doesn?t mean that it is a good idea to see how far you can push it.

Fix it asap!

I'm going to have to agree with the majority. Brakes are the one thing not to skimp on.

It's one thing to skimp on something that affects your engine but the safety of you and those around you depends on your ability to not hit them. I've already been rear ended once and I don't want it happening again, especially if it could have been avoided by a little work and a $100 part.

Never ever fuck with brake problems! I drove my dads old Ford when the old worn down rubber brake line suddenly sploshed all liquid out while I was braking! Luckily I had plenty of space, so I slowly used the Handbrake to brake it down....

Fix it ASAP!

(as well, brakes are one of the things I don't touch in my car)

(as well, brakes are one of the things I don't touch in my car)

they?re probably among the easiest things for a beginner to fix, but also among the things I would least recommend a beginner to touch...

I had some old pads in the boot from a long time ago and they also have the same corrosion! Seems this problem isn't a new one. I'm getting the cylinder changed anyway. Well, i'll probably do it and have my uncle (who is a mechanic) to check it afterwards (just to be sure) seeing as he's too busy a the moment. My trade may not be cars, but i'm still an engineer who often deals with pneumatics/hydraulics. <_< I've done far harder things.

The cylinder? Do you mean the piston in the caliper? Or do you mean the master cylinder? Replacing the caliper and brake line isnt a big deal. Do that. In fact, replace the caliper and brake lines on both sides!

That fluid is under pressure, you dont want it leaking. That leaking is pressure you're losing when you want that pressure slowing down your car. Think about it this way, all that energy it takes to slow your car down, it's being applied by that fluid. Think about it.

Replacing the master cylinder is a pain in the wazoo. I doubt that's your problem unless fluid dripped from the resevoir to wherever your hand was.

And do you REALLY want to sell a car that has known issues with the brakes? Someone may end up getting killed over that. Don't be shady.

I was going to chime in here about how you guys should lighten up; then I remembered that my standards, when it comes to motorized vehicles at least, are probably way lower than most of yours :lmao:. A leaky wheel cylinder will not cause Jon to fly off the road. At worst, it would mean topping off the reservoir every month or two.

I was going to chime in here about how you guys should lighten up; then I remembered that my standards, when it comes to motorized vehicles at least, are probably way lower than most of yours :lmao:. A leaky wheel cylinder will not cause Jon to fly off the road. At worst, it would mean topping off the reservoir every month or two.

That was good timing. This was also what the mechanic said! :lol:

Sorry guys.. you really all should just lighten up..:cool:

That was good timing. This was also what the mechanic said! :lol:

Sorry guys.. you really all should just lighten up..:cool:

Erm, no.

A leaky *wheel cylinder* isn't going to flip you off the road... but a leaking CALIPER will. And that's what he's describing - a caliper, not a wheel cylinder.