So I have $60,000 - what to buy?

He hasn't shown up for days.

Well, who cares... it was a fun thread :)

This was a great thread, I feel I should update everyone with my decision to really finish this thing off. Sorry it's been half a year though... In the last 8 months I've moved to a new place, sold my M3 and...

Unfortunately, I bought my friends C32-AMG.. But as for my $60,000 car decision... I've preordered an e92 M3 :)

I decided I didn't want a 60k used car because I really want to customize this to be exactly what I want. No compromises. As for the RS4... well... if it was anything like the R8 I'd be all over it but the RS4 is like sitting in my boss's office. It's very fancy with quality materials. And it's also as exciting as that last sentence. It's an amazing car but where's the flair? Put some R8 soul into the RS4! It's just not for me.

As for Mercedes...

The reason for buying my friends C32-AMG is that it's a fast car, fully loaded, and free until next April. That's right, my friend was so negative on this car that I just financed it for the amount he owed and he's paying my car payments plus interest till April. No worries, he's good for it. With any luck I'll be able to sell it later next year without owing more than a grand... who knows, I may come out on top. So basically a free fast car to tide me over for the new M3 next year. Great deal right?

No. Not at all. I am saving money, which is a good thing, but the C32 sucks. This is what made me realize that I don't want a Mercedes - never again. After only a few days it's become painfully obvious how inferior the build quality is to my late e46 M3. The handling into a corner is decent, ok, lacking, under-steer, under-steer, tree. There's just not as much grip and there's too much weight in the front, it's very noticeable. The whole car just doesn't work, I hate it.

I should have leased the M Coupe for 2 years then moved over to the M3. That would have been the best (not the most financially sound) decision. I mean, I like saving money but dammit, you only live once and you can't take the money with you - only the experiences. Might as well spend the extra dollar to make every moment on the road an amazing and memorable one.

I can't wait for my e92 M3. It's really everything I want. The perfect track car to also drive to work in every day. If it's anything like the last 3 models, it'll be the best there is for the price.

Flame on...

Interesting decision and equally interesting result.

Interesting outcome to the thread indeed. I bet we'll be seeing a C32 on the classifieds soon as payments on the car are done.

The RX-8 is not a snail. It's not as fast as an M3, and I think that rules it out for him, but please don't make a fool out of yourself by calling it a snail.

Christ..
Snail meaning turbo?
If that's what you mean then yes! Damn RX8s eat oil like old turbo cars, but with none of the grunt. :mrgreen:

I can't wait for my e92 M3. It's really everything I want. The perfect track car to also drive to work in every day. If it's anything like the last 3 models, it'll be the best there is for the price.

Flame on...

Evo magazine just had a huge M-Car test where they pitted almost all the previous M cars (3, 5 and 6 + M1 and coupes) up against the new M3. The winner ended up being the E30 M3 EVO and i quote "The original M3 is utterly brilliant. More pointedly it's brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or chose to Ignore" really rather an enlightening read actually. The basic jist of the whole thing is that if you want a high-horse power quick luxury car buy an E39 M5 and if you want a focused drivers car get the E30 because the E92 is stuck in the middle trying very hard to do both while being not particularly good at either. They even rated the E46 M3 (admittedly a CS with upgraded brakes) as being slightly better than the new M3 interms fo being a drivers car.

I would also like to point out that you could get both (E30 and E39) for the cost of an E92 since E30 M3's go for about 10-15K for great examples and E39 M5's can be had for around 30-40K with 30ish thousand miles.

Last edited:
This was a great thread, I feel I should update everyone with my decision to really finish this thing off. Sorry it's been half a year though... In the last 8 months I've moved to a new place, sold my M3 and...

Unfortunately, I bought my friends C32-AMG.. But as for my $60,000 car decision... I've preordered an e92 M3 :)

I decided I didn't want a 60k used car because I really want to customize this to be exactly what I want. No compromises. As for the RS4... well... if it was anything like the R8 I'd be all over it but the RS4 is like sitting in my boss's office. It's very fancy with quality materials. And it's also as exciting as that last sentence. It's an amazing car but where's the flair? Put some R8 soul into the RS4! It's just not for me.

As for Mercedes...

The reason for buying my friends C32-AMG is that it's a fast car, fully loaded, and free until next April. That's right, my friend was so negative on this car that I just financed it for the amount he owed and he's paying my car payments plus interest till April. No worries, he's good for it. With any luck I'll be able to sell it later next year without owing more than a grand... who knows, I may come out on top. So basically a free fast car to tide me over for the new M3 next year. Great deal right?

No. Not at all. I am saving money, which is a good thing, but the C32 sucks. This is what made me realize that I don't want a Mercedes - never again. After only a few days it's become painfully obvious how inferior the build quality is to my late e46 M3. The handling into a corner is decent, ok, lacking, under-steer, under-steer, tree. There's just not as much grip and there's too much weight in the front, it's very noticeable. The whole car just doesn't work, I hate it.

I should have leased the M Coupe for 2 years then moved over to the M3. That would have been the best (not the most financially sound) decision. I mean, I like saving money but dammit, you only live once and you can't take the money with you - only the experiences. Might as well spend the extra dollar to make every moment on the road an amazing and memorable one.

Flame on...

Tell me - where is the flair in the M3? Its just another anal sports saloon.

I know my opinion is meaningless, and you before also said that you are not looking for a convertible. Still, i would spend that money on a porsche boxster, and get it fitted with one of those kickass supercharger kits! :D You can get 450-500hp from the S version without breaking a sweat. Imo it would be the perfect all-rounder: Great to drive, fast, comfortable and the convertibleness can hardly be a - :) Just my meaningless 2 cents, go ahead and buy whatever you want.

I have around $60,000 USD
Hello,

I am a wealthy businessman from zimbumfukawhogivesacrap africa, there was a recent coup and now all my money are tied up in bank account in US. Bank tells me it would be $60,000 to release my $10,000,000,000USD in assets. I would gladly give you 1bn USD if you could help me in this endeavour...

no but seriously, I would get an Exige, and maybe some smaller car to daily drive.

I would also like to point out that you could get both (E30 and E39) for the cost of an E92 since E30 M3's go for about 10-15K for great examples and E39 M5's can be had for around 30-40K with 30ish thousand miles.

I would love to have an E30 M3, a lot. But honestly I'm not in a position right now to own multiple cars, much less, multiple used cars. I owned an E36 M3 and in 1 year I spent $10,000 fixing it because it kept breaking. That's completely turned me off to relying on used cars. I do plan on buying an E30 M3, but not until after I have a new, reliable (or at least with a full warranty) car and the garage space for it.

As being a tech geek, I love the iDrive gadgets in the new M3 and all the electronics. But I also appreciate the bare bones driving experience... that's why I wish I would have leased the M coupe for 2 years instead of buying my friends C32 to save money.

Nice choice :thumbsup:

I hope it dosen't disappoint, but from what I have read it should be a superb all-rounder.

Any thoughts on color and trim yet?

I told my sales rep to call me as soon as every new M3 shows up so I can check out how the color and trim looks. It's hard to make that decision without seeing the paint in person to know how it really looks on the car.

Shoulda bought a Corvette. I have no doubt in my mind it will be just as fast if not faster than an M3 :)

Shoulda bought a Corvette. I have no doubt in my mind it will be just as fast if not faster than an M3 :)

For a little more than a fully loaded C6 Vette, you get a car that's comparably quick but has some more seats and doesn't have the interior of a 1995 Cavalier. But BMW already makes a sports car in that price range, the Z4M. The M3 is now more of a quick grand tourer, whether BMW meant that to be or not.

I guess its just me, but the only cars i die for from BMW are the m5 and 550i. Other than that, i really could care less about them.

Maybe why everyone around me is like "GOTTA GET THAT M3" and im like "Bleh, just give me the m5. Im to mature for an M3 ;) )

I just like the Corvette and would take its pedigree over BMW and all their tech. Its just more to go wrong and cost a lot to fix.

I will own an M5 though, one day.

EDIT And i would hardly compare and 08 Corvette to a 95 Cavlier
corvette-c6-2008-3-big.jpg

1998.Chevrolet.Cavalier.LS.Sedan.interior.jpg

I see QUITE a bit of difference