So... I'm going to be a dad

gti138

Car(s)
Peugeot 206 GTi & Mazda CX-7
My wife's 39 and a bit weeks pregnant.. we went to see the obstetrician today and he's going to induce her early next week (only a few days early)

Safe to say I'm fairly shitting myself at the moment... Not so much about the birth process - for 2 reasons. a) I just have to be there and provide support etc - not endure the pain myself and b) we have good doctors, midwives etc so I'm pretty sure they all know what they are doing so all should be OK.

I'm just shitting myself about what happens after.. like there'll be this baby that's ours, that we wont be able to hand back to someone.. All my mates who already have kids tell me that this is normal and once it arrives all will be OK but still it's all a bit of an unknown...

Anyhow.. The whole pregnancy thing has been a walk in the park - we've been lucky - no morning sickness, no odd cravings (haven't had to go out to a shop at 2am for pickles & ice cream or anything!) I think we've got everything ready and I've got a month and a bit off work to get used to this and also to try and adapt to the next phase of my life...

Wish me luck!

Reactions: LP
Goodluck!
I just found out I'm gonna be an Aunty - by no means close/similar to a parent. But exciting all the same.
Enjoy your amazing little bundle!

Learn to sleep when baby sleeps, it's the only way to retain sanity! And you're going to be up close and personal with the washing machine as babies poop, throw up and otherwise get god knows what over everything they wear (and you).

Good luck!

Congrats.

Great news, everyone!!! The Dacia Sandero... oh, wait, wrong news. :D Congratulations and good luck. :D

Congrats! It's going to be one hell of a ride, but a very enjoyable one, and it's all gone too fast. Before you know there's this toddler who walks and talks and everything and you're still wondering what happened to your cute little baby. Sit back, hang on, and enjoy the ride. All those first things only happen once, make sure you enjoy them, while they last.

Hope you like poop!

Seriously though, kids are awesome, and surprisingly durable - I've got a very accident prone nephew, a trait shared with his accident prone mother and grandfather (all have caused the doctors to ask if everything was alright at home, though their injuries were pretty much all at school) - just trust yourself and your wife and everything will probably work fine.

I'm not a parent though, just an uncle.

Good luck :D

Firstly, best wishes to you both (three?)

Secondly I heartily and strongly suggest you get a copy of this.....

http://www.thenile.com.au/books/Gina-Ford/The-New-Contented-Little-Baby-Book/9780091912697/

We have three of our own, 9, 6 and 4. We used this book from the day our eldest was born and all went through the night from 8 weeks. Even at the ages they are they still go to bed between 7.30 and 8.15 even at weekends, let us have our own time together, sleep until at least 7.30am and are happy, confident, contented and well-achieving kids.

While her style may be a little schoolma'am-ish, she knows her stuff and if you follow her lead you will soon adapt her routines to what suits you, taking the ideas that best suits you both.

And, good luck! Look forward to hearing what you have, how things go, and what name(s) you choose!

My wife's 39 and a bit weeks pregnant.. we went to see the obstetrician today and he's going to induce her early next week (only a few days early)

Damn, I was reading that as: " My wife is 39, and she is a bit pregnant. we went to see the obstetrician today and he's going to induce her early next week (only a few days early)."

Something was really not computing in my mind :lol:

Congratulation, I am in the same boat (but my girlfriend is only 15 weeks in), and share pretty much the same apprehensions as you.

Congratulations.

Be prepared for great responsibilities and good luck. You'll be a good dad

Last edited:
Congrats!:cheers:

edit: and good luck!!

Last edited:
Congrats!
Listen to Adu. When you least expect it, the little baby is gone. I like walking with Carlo, but I kinda miss having this tiny person in my arms.

Last edited:
I sometimes feel that I was the most selfish person on the planet. My life was filled with a lot of toys and free time. Going out every night, and buying the things that I wanted. I've always been a hard worker so I've always benefitted directly from the fruits of my labor. I wasn't too happy when I found out I was going to be a father-obviously for selfish reasons.

Even when my little girl was born, I didn't feel that much different.

Now that my little girl is 5, I couldn't imagine my life being anymore meaningful. The thing about children is that every day you love them a little more. After sometime, all that love accumulates to a lot of emotion and a really big heart. Having a child gives you an opportunity to see life in a new light. Prior to my little girl being born, I couldn't understand why everyone was congratulating me. I kept saying to myself, "What gives? It's a burdensome responsibility". It?s been an honor and privilege being a father. It?s been the greatest gift that has ever been given to me.

That being said, be there when your child is born. I'm glad I was forced to bc it allowed me to experience a moment in my life which didn't seem to important at the time... in retrospect it was one of the most important days of my life.

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Congrats! I have two boys who are now 17 and 19! Yikes!

I swear, last week they were only about 5 years old. *sighs*

But, the next few years will be scary, energy draining, and will make you wish you could be so lucky as to just go insane so at least the voices in your head will let you relax. :p

And you wont want to change any of it for the world. :D

Thanks guys & girls. I've got all the camera batteries charged and ready to go. Going in Monday night and if all goes well should have a bundle of joy sometime Tuesday... I've got nearly 5 weeks off work so i'll hopefully be around for all of the early firsts. I know I'll be sleep deprived, grumpy and probably look like hell at the end of it - but I wouldn't have it any other way! Will be going back to work for a holiday I think! At least I can work from home so I'll be able to stick around and help my wife out from time-to-time when she wants/needs a break!

Looking forward to it but don't have any pre-conceived ideas about what to expect so everything will be a surprise!

All these new parents (usually dads...). Is it almost time for "post your new baby/parenting help" sub-forum?

Perhaps after the "Get Viper a Licence" charity drive?