So.. Jezza Pisses off Romania

tranceporter

Car(s)
2007 Honda S2000
:lol: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/24/next-in-line-to-get-irked-by-jeremy-clarkson-the-romanian-gover/

Another day, another country that hates Jeremy Clarkson's guts. Or at least, another country that is seeking an apology from the Top Gear host for his no doubt rude, but no doubter funny comments about said country. In this case, it's the former Iron Curtain nation of Romania. Seems that during the series' season 14 opener, Jezza had some less than flattering observations about the country that shot former "Conductor" Nicolae Ceau?escu and his wife before they could even be tied up and blindfolded.

Clarkson's offending remarks? He referred to Romania as "Borat country." He also donned the silly-looking pork pie hat above and stated, "I'm wearing this hat so the gypsies think I am one. I'm told they can be violent if they don't like the look of you." He also called Romanian water "Communist water" and mentioned that Romanians like to express their sense of humor with guns. Pretty innocuous stuff if you ask us. Especially compared to cracks Clarkson's made about other non-British places. Like Germany, America and Malaysia. Regardless, the Romanian government is apparently expecting an apology. We think they'd have a better chance at satisfaction by issuing a Whamber Alert. In any case, you can see the offending footage in its entirety by clicking through to the jump.

What were they honestly expecting: a travel show or in-flight magazine?

Does it honestly really matter, not like its the end of the world now is it. Clarkson speaks whats on his mind, some people like me are fine with that, others are not and get offended Although its mainly our government what seems to dislike him, mainly because of the points he says about the British Government are generally true.

Didn't he also say some positive things about the country, or was I distracted by hamster's hair during that segment. If so, the bad should equalize by the good ;)

Last edited:
Judging by how many forum members now want to visit Romania, if only for the Trans... Trans... Transf... ... ... Highway, they should thank Top Gear instead.

those people... always have to find something rude that is coming from his mouth. not news anyway <_< when will people instead of giving a damn about his words, watch Top Gear as a proper TV programme?

Think of all the valuable parts from all the crashed supercars they can recycle now.
TG might just have saved Romania's economy.

I was also pissed in after seeing the cut episode, but after seeing it again I realize that jokes were made and let's be honest, TG is almost never serious about what is said.

If I was in charge of running Romania, I would be on my knees begging them to come back. I would be pitching ideas to them, not DEMANDING an Apology.

People that watch TG are used to the things Jeremy says and does not give it a second thought. But the way they film these places makes lots of people want to go see for themselves.

I always assumed Romania was a dank dark hell hole and now I know it is not.

I have now got Romania plugged into my airfare watch program. If the price is right, I will now go.

The impression I and I think many people got was that the three were genuinely positive about being in Romania, yes there were a few jokes cracked but that's the Top Gear style. I'm Scottish, barely a week goes by where my country and its people aren't the brunt of a few jibes from Clarkson yet I understand it's all in good humour and, as far as I can see the majority of Romanian people on this board do too.

In short, grow a thicker skin Mr Romanian Government! it's only a TV show.

If I go to Romania and say those things to a friend holding a video camera, will they ask to apologize?

Romania, please, pay for your ads instead of taking advantage of Jezza's fame...

ADs are made so that the product looks better than it actually is.

i doubt romania had anything to benefit from this, getting to the transfagarsan is a pain.

though i haven't felt everything clarkson said isn't ture, crime is a problem,and the country isn't 100% communist free.

meh ... i liked the episode.

nothing is more pathetic than self dilusion, and that is on the gouverment part

Last edited:
If I was in charge of running Romania, I would be on my knees begging them to come back. I would be pitching ideas to them, not DEMANDING an Apology.

People that watch TG are used to the things Jeremy says and does not give it a second thought. But the way they film these places makes lots of people want to go see for themselves.

I always assumed Romania was a dank dark hell hole and now I know it is not.

I have now got Romania plugged into my airfare watch program. If the price is right, I will now go.

Agreed.

At the end of the episode Clarkson said (Roughly) "Romania, thank you for having us...and can we stay...Forever!"

What more could the government want?

I guess they saw another episode, not the one where at the end Jezza says he loves Romania.

I mean, Borat Country? That's like calling a place in England 'Pikey Town' nobody would be offended.

Oh wait...

My consideration for Romania has greatly risen after the episode, so I hope romanian government will stop moaning about petty comments and won't force my opinion to fall down again.

Clarkson (around minute 59:10) : "Just want to say Romania....thank you for having us.....and can we stay.....forever"

Also it did indeed look a bit Borat :D