So my girlfriend needs a new car...

Talus

Car(s)
VW GTI
... And she's picky.

Currently she's got a '98 Honda Prelude which is becoming more trouble then it's worth. While she loves the car dearly it's becoming more of a pain than it's worth. The transmission and clutch are having issues and the thing is averaging 21mpg with roughly 50/50 city/hwy miles (of 91 octane no less) and is burning through a bottle of oil every 3 weeks or so. Not to mention the fact that she has to exit most slanted driveways or go over large bumps at an angle...

So she's got up to $10,000 to spend on a new car (Although she'd prefer $8k or less)

Her requirements:
Manual Transmission
Reasonably sporty/quick
2 Doors
Reliable
Better on gas than the Prelude
It'd be nice if it were somewhat safe. People have a habit of crashing into her, as I've mentioned in the stupid drivers thread....

So far her list contains two cars... Two...
99-00 Civic SI
03-05 Civic SiR Hatch

Both are proving difficult to find. They've either got very high km, have been in major accidents or have been modded by a local shop who prefers cash under the table and no service records.

Anyway, I'm at an absolute loss as to what else to suggest to her. So advice would be appreciated.

Well, you could just swap in another engine and transmission. That would be the cheapest solution, I would suspect. Low-mile used H22A and H23A VTECs can be had cheaply and are easily swapped in. I think you have to swap the oil pumps or something, but it should be relatively minor.

Then you've got a car with a powertrain that's only about 30-50K old and it's the one she loves.

Currently she's got a '98 Honda Prelude which is becoming more trouble then it's worth. While she loves the car dearly it's becoming more of a pain than it's worth. The transmission and clutch are having issues and the thing is averaging 21mpg with roughly 50/50 city/hwy miles (of 91 octane no less) and is burning through a bottle of oil every 3 weeks or so. Not to mention the fact that she has to exit most slanted driveways or go over large bumps at an angle...

That's the exact experience I'm having with my 98 Honda Prelude except the clutch and trans issues.

As for a new car, Miata! With the money left in the budget, she might be able to find a hardtop to go with it.

Here are a few possibilities:

Acura RSX

Mini Cooper

2002 Civic Si coupe

And this Mustang - sure, it's only a v6, but it's reasonably quick, gets decent mpg (Not as good as a 4 cylinder, though), and has 60K miles. It also is sporty, reliable, and safe. (I say this not just because I own a Mustang, but to get people to seriously consider one. They are better cars than most people think.)

I'll spare the incoming FG brigade.

Miata.

Job done.

MR2.

Sounds like the current engine in the lude is done. You shouldn't need to add oil and that's also why it's getting bad mileage. If she likes the lude go for a swap, or just buy a better lude.

E46. Not good on gas, not reliable, but cool factor +100pts.

No it's not because I've been thinking of buying one :shifty:

Seriously, a Miata sounds like a good choice, two doors, sporty...

And the engine noise is not bad...

That is true, but it depends which year's Miata. Mine has a piece of styrofoam and a milk jug for protection. All cars get safer with the years.

Land Rover.
Miata
Honda motorcycle
Jaaaaaaag

Honda motorcycle
Why not go all the way and get something really properly silly, like an old Norton Commando, it'd safe as well, because you'd never, ever have in running condition.
Alternatively, staying with the Honda crowd, a late pre-facelift NSX. It's just better than anything else, and apparently they're surprisingly affordable these days.

So far her list contains two cars... Two...
99-00 Civic SI
03-05 Civic SiR Hatch
It seems she wants thief magnets. I don't know how ICBC rates those two cars but the Civic SiR is just asking for any private insurance company to screw you over with insane rates and you can't blame them because its possible they'll lose money despite that. Those are so frequently stolen that even to this day they top the most stolen cars in the country. The older Si...its a 2-door and 2-door Civics still have high insurance rates because they're stolen often as well, my sister pays far more than I do in insurance for her regular 2002 Civic coupe. Toyota Celicas from 2000-2005 are far less targeted than the Civic Si, SiR and Acura RSX while still fulfilling all criteria listed.

You could use your picture on facebook to reinforce that suggestion *winks
Good idea :D The miata is a very practical car too, as you can see. Pulled all that in one haul. Granted, I had to remove the passenger seat.. But still. The amount of nooks and crannies the car has is incredible
http://img37.imageshack.**/img37/4867/75075101512995678931831.jpg

Pshaw. This is how much you can haul in an MR2:

0627101352-00.jpg

That's four wheels with tires, and we're not even starting on the mini-trunk behind the seats and the frunk in the front. Though I just remembered that the MR2 wasn't officially imported into Canada so you'd have to go to the US for one, unless someone local's already imported one.