So, my wife wants to go to Scotland... Go or no?

Hemihead

Car(s)
Dacia Duster, Nissan WD21, Vaz 21023
As the name of the thread states. My wife wants to visit Scotland, she saw some travel show on TV and has been talking about it ever since. Thing is, she knows very little about Scotland and I know even less.

So, dear UKanians on this site, should I start researching places to go (she seems fond of the idea to travel around for a couple of days) or should I tell her to reconsider it? She did mumble something about seeing the nature but I don't really think she knows -exactly- what she wants to do. So please help a confused couple here. :)

Do you two like whisky? Because that would make the trip infinitely more fun. In fact, that's the only reason why I want to visit Scotland.

I say

untitle.JPG

I can probably help seeing as I live there.

It really depends on what you two like doing. You could spend weeks exploring the national parks/hillwalking/hiking ect and see only a tiny fraction of the country. Alternatively you could stick to the central belt and do all the touristy city stuff like museums, galleries, shopping, theatre, ect.

Do you two like whisky? Because that would make the trip infinitely more fun. In fact, that's the only reason why I want to visit Scotland.

Even a mild fan of whisky would probably enjoy a single-malt distillery tour.

Last edited:
If you can be in Edinburgh for the Fringe festival (comedy) then for the love of god do it. It'll be very busy yes, but its so brilliant - the ways you can spend just a few days and see so much (and yet so little at the same time).

If you're into hillwalking then as jms says; it'd take you a long time to see the whole lot, but just a couple of days out in the sticks? Why not.

Personally, the weekend I had in Edinburgh last summer wasn't particularly exciting. Once you've seen the castle and gone on the tour bus, you've seen it all.

The choice of reasonable and good restaurants wasn't great either.

Captain 70s lives there. Draw your own conclusions :tease:

He isn't even Scottish so don't make judgements based on him. I am a real Scotsman, I would say visit the Moray and Speyside area as that's where a lot of the best distilleries such as Glenfiddich's are based.

I even live in that area if a meet interests you. :)

Thanks for the input. :) We talked about it and I showed her the thread, we will both figure out what we want to do and then put up a travel plan. The Fringe is something that I want to see at least.

Check out the travel series by Scottish comedian Billy Connolly - "Billy Connolly's World Tour of Scotland". As he visits various places on tour he travels around and tells you all about the different towns and areas he visits.

I'd recommend downloading a version with subtitles as you may struggle with his accent! Here's episode 1, part one.

[video=youtube;bGFWU-wF9TM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFWU-wF9TM[/video]

Thanks for the input. :) We talked about it and I showed her the thread, we will both figure out what we want to do and then put up a travel plan. The Fringe is something that I want to see at least.
I'd love to go to the Fringe as well. You might find accommodation for this year's festival (3rd-27th August, to save you looking it up) already booked out... You might find http://www.edfringe.com/planning-your-trip useful.

Check out the TV series "Rab C. Nesbitt" so you can see how much you'll struggle with the accent!
FTFY :tease:

My girlfriend and I have been to Scotland twice by now. Will go again.

Do some sailing down the Clyde (Caledonian MacBrayne)- visit Bute/Rothsay, say hello to the cousin of Cobol74 in Colintraive. Gawp and listen to the locals tell tales of the US Navy and Holyloch from the cold war days.

Fish Supper highly recommended - yum, Ayrshire beef and potatos especially in early autumn, and soft fruit is wonderful - grown locally in Scotland.

To expand on my earlier post, if you like outdoor activities, especially hiking and rambling, the scottish highlands are one of the greatest places on earth to visit. They also got some pretty challenging driving roads, especially Bealach na B?. If you decide to go, I can help you out with recommendations for B&Bs, Pubs and so on...

To expand on my earlier post, if you like outdoor activities, especially hiking and rambling, the scottish highlands are one of the greatest places on earth to visit.

I agree. Scotland was one of the most fun countries I've visited since moving to Europe. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go.

To expand on my earlier post, if you like outdoor activities, especially hiking and rambling, the scottish highlands are one of the greatest places on earth to visit.
Really? I've never been, but I find it difficult to imagine them comparing to the Alps. Maybe I'll have to make the trip sometime :)

I like Scotland very much, visit it atleast once a year.

If breathtaking scenery combined with history in an active vacation is your thing, you can't go wrong with Scotland.
If on the other hand your perfect getaway is a cocktail on a beach for 2 weeks, look elsewere.

Things to see? The Highlands! (pretty much everything West of the Caledonian canal).
I find the north to be the most remote and beautifull part for a 2/3 day driving tour (bar example): start in Inverness (shithole) and drive all the way North to Jhon O Groats, make sure to stop in Wick and have a drink at the Nethercliff pub, From Jhon O Groats head West and just keep on the main road to Durness, then head south to a little place called Scourie, it's a little hamlett nesteld in a cove....remote as all hell but very pleasant.

Lower down we have what are considerd the West highlands, and offcourse the Isle of Sky, witch is another must see, very beautifull, if a tad touristy.....you can't go wrong in the highlands realy.

Loch ness....yes you knew it was coming, it's a rather ugly Loch (as compared to some others) that isen't even realy a loch, it has several tourists centers around it selling stuffed nessies, and yet I find myself visiting it every time I'm in the highlands.....For one reason: Fort Augustus is a small town on the most southern part of the lake, 2 pubs, few hotels and a handfull b&b's, I concider it my second home.

On your way to Edinburgh and the lowlands take the A82 from Fort William, the pass of the Clenncoe is a nice view, further east Stirling is an exellent place to stop, plenty of historical things to see and do depending on your intrests, come to think of it so is most of that part of Scotland.

Edinburgh is another must do, granted not the most pleasant city in the world, and 'the royal mile' is an overcrowded tourist trap filled with Pakistanies trying to sell you fake kilts, but Edinburgh Castle is awesome, and the arcitecture in the centre is very nice....there are also a gazillion ways to get drunk.

Scotland in General is a nice place if you know what to avoid, that's why I avoid most of the bigger cities except Edinburgh as I prefer small 1 horse towns, nothing like arriving someswhere in the afternoon after driving and seeing some fantastic scenery, throwing your bag down on the bed in the b&b, and go see the local sights till nightfall, then find a pub, have a few drinks, mix with the locals (who are surprisingly hospitable, often more then willing to talk about the area and point you towards local 'secret' beautyspots) and go to bed.

Food is of the heartkilling 'I wonder how many cows went into that' kind, alcohol is everywhere and cheap, if you like Scotch, you could spend several months doing nothing but visiting distillies and tastings.

Don't be surprised if you walk into a tiny pub in a tiny town and find 50 different Whisky's behind the counter....they probably have more out back as they ran out of shelfspace.

I'm 'plotting' driving trips to Scotland for people all the time, if you decide to go give me a shout, I will be more then happy to put something together for you depending on you and your wifes intrests.

Last edited:
What Cowboy said, pretty much.

Do NOT go in August, it is MIDGE MONTH!

You absolutelty need a car or motocycle to get around.

Don't be fooled by Google maps distances and mentally plug in motorway speeds to estimate journey times.

The roads are twisty and small, then you can get stuck behind slow moving vehicles. Also, they are scary enough even in a right hand drive car, let alone if you bring your own. (At least to me, a city dude.)

West Highlands and Islands are best for me.

There is a very scenic railway journey from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh (The gateway to Isle of Skye.) Mainly single track overlooking the sea. Wiki says they have upgraded the coaches and now run four services a day during the week. Well worth doing anytime, but especially on a rainy day to keep you dry.

PS Rainy days, there will be several. They have many different types of rain up there, so bring several sets of waterproofs.

There is a very scenic railway journey from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh (The gateway to Isle of Skye.) Mainly single track overlooking the sea. Wiki says they have upgraded the coaches and now run four services a day during the week. Well worth doing anytime, but especially on a rainy day to keep you dry.
Even though it's a grade A tourist trap, if you like trains, the Fort William to Mallaig steam train is a must. Fort William itself, even though a town completely geared towards the tourist trade is a place that I unexplainably fell in love with - most likely because the surrounding countryside (Especially, but not only Glen Nevis) is breathtakingly beautiful. Achintee Farm might be billed as a hostel, but it's not a "hostel" as in "cheap room for teenagers getting drunk" but as in "basic accomodation for long-distance ramblers". It's right at the foot of Ben Nevis and yet has a touristy, but still tolerable pub next door.

And if you must visit Loch Ness - everything Cowboy said it's true, it's a place without remarkable features but full of tacky souveniers - visit The Steading. It's one of the few places I've found that provides just the right balance between "the locals go there" and "you are not totally wrong as a tourist". And the landlord is a petrolhead and Top Gear fan.

Last edited: