so someone hacked my facebook account

Ford Prefect

Car(s)
MINI, E30, GT86
My FB account got hacked and apparently I made wall posts with dodgy websites in them on all my friends? walls. Lovely.

I?ve manually deleted them, I think I got them all but I?m not really sure cause it involved a lot of monotonous clicking. I?ve also changed my password. Anything else I can do?

How the hell does this happen? I just formatted my computer a week ago, installed all the updates for anything security related that I?m aware of, and haven?t downloaded anything dodgy since then.

I swear I?m gonna start some sort of foundation that finds these computer geeks and ties them to flagpoles by their nuts...

see! bad things will happen if you go on facebook! its the devils work it tell yah! the devils work!

My FB account got hacked and apparently I made wall posts with dodgy websites in them on all my friends? walls. Lovely.

How the hell does this happen? I just formatted my computer a week ago, installed all the updates for anything security related that I?m aware of, and haven?t downloaded anything dodgy since then.

Most likely it had nothing to do with your computer at home. The two most likely cases are a) that your old password was weak and your account was victim of a brute-force dictionary attack (using your email (that certainly is public knowledge) and a list of know passwords against facebook's server) or b) that you checked your facebook account from some other computer, most likely a public acessable one, that was compromised.

elderly-man.jpg

People care about Facespace?

You most likely fell for one of those phishing sites that muck the facebook login page, so nothing too serious, just make sure you don't do it again.

Most likely it had nothing to do with your computer at home. The two most likely cases are a) that your old password was weak and your account was victim of a brute-force dictionary attack (using your email (that certainly is public knowledge) and a list of know passwords against facebook's server) or b) that you checked your facebook account from some other computer, most likely a public acessable one, that was compromised.
a is unlikely as my old password was rather long, and it wasn?t an actual word, more a sort of sound written out...

as far as b goes: the other computer I used to log in was one of the workstations in my university?s CAD lab, and I?d like to think that they?re well protected...

You most likely fell for one of those phishing sites that muck the facebook login page, so nothing too serious, just make sure you don't do it again.
also not likely... my computer at home never logs me out automatically for some reason, and at university I enter the adress manually...

Or have you used an unencrypted wireless network recently?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/10/wifi_hot_spots_not_secure.html
my wi-fi is encrypted, and it?s range is so shitty that you?d probably have to actually be in my appartment to hack it...

as far as b goes: the other computer I used to log in was one of the workstations in my university?s CAD lab, and I?d like to think that they?re well protected...

well my schoolfriend used, an university's pc-lab computer and tried to login to his email, he typod his login wrong and got into someone else's webmail.

he was :eek: and logged of from that pc.

Public-access computers should always be treated as if they've been compromised - that includes lab computers in universities.

Public-access computers should always be treated as if they've been compromised - that includes lab computers in universities.

THIS. On top of that, does facebook do https transfer for the password as standard? Otherwise you did most likely broadcast it out in plain text into the university network, where someone most likely was listening.

<form method="POST" action="https://login.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1" id="login_form">

So yes, it is encrypted by default.