Autoblog: So the condom broke: Nissan's new Quest.

2Billion

Car(s)
'10 Toyota Matrix XR
01-2011-nissan-quest-la-auto-show.jpg

04-2011-nissan-quest-la-auto-show.jpg

16-2011-nissan-quest-la-auto-show.jpg

Keeping up with the Joneses is a tough game to play, and Nissan's third-generation Quest was getting jealous of the new Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. Los Angeles can change you, and that's why we are staring at the all-new fourth generation 2011 Nissan Quest.

Arriving in dealerships in the beginning of next year, the 2011 Nissan Quest will be offered in four trims: S, SV, SL and LE. All four are powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine that produces 253 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque, and it's paired with Nissan's Xtronic CVT unit. Each trim is also fairly well-equipped, with even the base Quest S receiving push-button ignition and a six-disc CD audio system. The top-level Quest LE goes all out with such features as a DVD entertainment system with wireless headphones, a blind-spot warning system and HID headlights.

Besides the tech amenities, the Quest also offers a plethora of what-you-would-expect minivan features. The 2nd and 3rd rows of seating both fold flat to the floor, and a deep rear storage well adds even more cargo space if you are traveling with items other than passengers

Sauce

Personally, if I needed to buy a minivan for some reason, this would be the one I'd take.

My god, a minivan and the Nissan Cube had a child, and it is horrible, at least from the outside. The interior looks plush.

The exterior is nice, I have to say ... but ...

... they?ve made quite an efford to hide tha fact that the interior is dead boring and cheap. Problem is of course ... it is cheap even if you only notice it on second glance. The only not cheap looking stuff are the steering wheel and gear leaver (and the stitching on those looks like the sort of stitching that is to look as if it was handmade - but actually isn?t and doesn?t even do anything) ... the rest is just painted plastic to look like the stuff people actually want. For me, personally that?s worse than it just being bad on first look. Because when you finally realise that it does look cheap, you feel cheated. And I haven?t even started about how boring it all is on top of it ... it looks 5 years old.
This car needs an interior makeover before it?s even on sale ...

Last edited:
Who the hell uses CDs?

Depends. I was happy that my Honda had an iPod jack, none of my other cars did. The only thing that sucks is that it's a basic AUX jack, so my steering wheel controls, as well as, the audio controls on the dash only really work for the volume. I have to change tracks, pause, etc using the iPod itself and that really sucks, especially while driving. It's right up there with texting while driving, imo. But luckily my car also plays MP3's on CD. So I can load a million songs on just a few discs and my steering wheel controls actually work. So I actually prefer the CD's. Only downside is that my car didn't come with the optional CD changer, so I'm stuck using one disc at a time.

But I have no idea what sort of system this Nissan uses. Could/should be much better.

1998 called, they want their fake wood back. And the colour beige.

Who the hell does Nissans ergonomics, and why did he decide to stick two huge buttons on the speedometer?

My god, a minivan and the Nissan Cube had a child, and it is horrible, at least from the outside. The interior looks plush.

This is pretty much all that matters when buying a minivan. When youre hauling all the loinfruit around, only a person with misplaced priority would care how good his *minivan* looks from the outside. Save that for the sports sedan or 2 door car that you keep alongside the minivan and the wife's car...

Last edited:
Meh: The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey will always be better than Nissan's van. I'm actually surprised that they're bringing back another minivan when the Quest failed so badly against the competition.

Depends. I was happy that my Honda had an iPod jack, none of my other cars did. The only thing that sucks is that it's a basic AUX jack, so my steering wheel controls, as well as, the audio controls on the dash only really work for the volume. I have to change tracks, pause, etc using the iPod itself and that really sucks, especially while driving. It's right up there with texting while driving, imo. But luckily my car also plays MP3's on CD. So I can load a million songs on just a few discs and my steering wheel controls actually work. So I actually prefer the CD's. Only downside is that my car didn't come with the optional CD changer, so I'm stuck using one disc at a time.

But I have no idea what sort of system this Nissan uses. Could/should be much better.

Doesn't your Si have a USB jack in the console between the seats as well as the AUX jack on the dashboard? Mine does. I plug my iPod (loaded up with Apple lossless format music) into the same cord I use to upload music to it, then plug that cord into the USB port inside the center console, and then I can control tracks with the steering wheel controls and artists/playlists with the right-side knob on the sound system, and track names display on the stereo system's screen.

Last edited:
What a horrid interior, who the hell would want a light biege interior on a mini-van with small children?

What a horrid interior, who the hell would want a light biege interior on a mini-van with small children?

No joke. It's idiocy. So is the plush carpet. Do these people not realize how hard plush carpet is to keep clean?

You know what the interior of a family-oriented minivan should look like? The Honda Element. Waterproof cloth on the seats and rubber floor. We have a four-year-old and a one-year-old, we've taken a road trip with them in the Element, and you know what? It's frickin' brilliant. Spilled apple juice? Got car sick? Couldn't hold the bladder until the next exit? Need to change the baby's diaper? NO PROBLEM. Anything that happens can be cleaned up with paper towels and baby wipes at the next rest stop.

Cripes, these will sell like crazy. FYI, most V42 Quests that I have encountered have a medium gray interior, and for good reason. The beige is used at the LA Auto Show because that color looks good under lights.

Ten years ago, the import dorks could not stop talking about anything "JDM." Those same dorks are married now with a brood; this is their van.

Oh yeah if it can do mp3 CDs its a whole different animal, my stock unit doesn't even have AUX input (the Z120 will take care of that this weekend ;P) nor does it read mp3 CDs. If it were a 6disk DVD changer would be even better :)
Any real audiophiles. Unless you can somehow use FLAC, then use that.

No portable format really has the same quality as a proper CD.
Show me one that would use a stock sound system in anything this side of a Bentley and I'll agree with you :)

Last edited:
All this does is make me want an Elgrand more.

Doesn't your Si have a USB jack in the console between the seats as well as the AUX jack on the dashboard? Mine does. I plug my iPod (loaded up with Apple lossless format music) into the same cord I use to upload music to it, then plug that cord into the USB port inside the center console, and then I can control tracks with the steering wheel controls and artists/playlists with the right-side knob on the sound system, and track names display on the stereo system's screen.

Nope. That was a 2009 upgrade, according to the all-knowing wiki.

Shame though, wish mine had that. I wonder if that could be a dealer installed upgrade... I might have to ask next time I take my car in for service.

Nope. That was a 2009 upgrade, according to the all-knowing wiki.

Shame though, wish mine had that. I wonder if that could be a dealer installed upgrade... I might have to ask next time I take my car in for service.
You *might* be able to get a module for it. I know for my car the stock unit has something like that, originally meant for an external CD changer but someone made a unit that uses the CD changer input and controls the iPod. It is quite limited but better than nothing. You could also go after market, if you are not looking for a navi it's fairly cheap to get a decent unit with iPod controls, especially if you wanna go ebay/cl route (after all electronics don't REALLY wear out).